Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long

50 Degree Nights w or w/o sleeping bag

Hello guys,

I have used this forum to help me in my decision to purchase a clark nx-200 for a two & half week cycling trip in North East Canada. I of course need to travel as light as possible.

Last Wednesday, I set up the nx-200 for the first time. It was a nice 68 degree night. I was a bit warm. I noticeed that I could not feel any breeze from the bottom or sides of the hammock which would have cooled me down. I ended up sleeping on top of my North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree sleeping bag.

So my question is as follows: Can I ditch the sleeping bag to save weight on my trip or would that be foolish? Average lows in the Gaspe region at night are 50 degrees. I saw some silk liners that at EMS that I thought would save space and weight. Please let me know any ideas you might have.

Thanks

Tom

Images
    You need to stop and think what "average lows" mean and where they are measured.
    Youngblood AT2000

I wouldn't go without a bag (or quilt, or whatever) under 60F. 50 is insane. You're likely to die at that temperature unless you have a lot of clothing which would probably weigh more than your bag anyway. Most cases of hypothermia happen well above freezing temperatures. It's easy to underestimate how much colder you are while sleeping vs walking around at the same temperature. According to the CLO charts, you need seven times as much insulation while asleep.

Images
    If you are really concerned about weight, I would go with a light bag or quilt that is rated around the 40-50* range and leave the 20* bag at home. You will also need bottom insulation, so I would look into that, as well...

Welcome!

Hammock
    Clark's North American NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark's Vertex
    Insulation
    Gore-Tex Bivy
    I'm new to Hammock Camping, and also here as well. Backpacking and Canoe trips I have good amount experience with...

In looking to save on weight, and stay warm at the same time, or at lease be comfortable in different weather conditions. Maybe you might want to lean towards a combination of little ligther Bag, and add a vapor-barrier-liner for those cooler evening. In exchange for Warmer / Humdit Evenings, use the bag as a mattress ,and used the Vapor-Barrier-Liner as Sleeping Bag.

last I've seen Prices are just under $70.00 for each item ...
    Webpages:
    Bag:
    http://www.deuterusa.com/products/pr...sub=bags&tert=

VBL:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
    Last edited by Old Hermit; 07-21-2008 at 13:33.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Last trip I used a 30deg down bag as a quilt. It got into the 50's the first night and I needed to layer up to stay warm. 2nd night was in the 60's and I just wore long pants and the 3rd night was over 65 and I slept in shorts.

All was done with no insullation under the hammock. I had brought extra clothing to do some testing so it really wasn't an issue other than waking up shivering in the middle of the night the first night.

My boys slept through it all with 50deg bags and warmer cloths. I hate young people.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    With bag for sure. Here's a inexpensive bag. Not sure about the weight. They used to sell another similar model that gave the weight. Anyone bought this one before?
    www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=249162
    I cut the zippers off my similar bags and use them quilt style.

Always be prepared for temps at least 15 degrees colder than you are expecting.

Go here for some great hammock camping info.
    www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

Welcome to the two new members.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WeTommyD View Post
    Hello guys,

I have used this forum to help me in my decision to purchase a clark nx-200 for a two & half week cycling trip in North East Canada. I of course need to travel as light as possible.

Last Wednesday, I set up the nx-200 for the first time. It was a nice 68 degree night. I was a bit warm. I noticeed that I could not feel any breeze from the bottom or sides of the hammock which would have cooled me down. I ended up sleeping on top of my North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree sleeping bag.

So my question is as follows: Can I ditch the sleeping bag to save weight on my trip or would that be foolish? Average lows in the Gaspe region at night are 50 degrees. I saw some silk liners that at EMS that I thought would save space and weight. Please let me know any ideas you might have.

Thanks

Tom
    It will depend on your clothing and your cold tolerance. You probably have more cold tolerance than me, just because you are more acclimated to it.

However, I slept fine one night last fall in the Olympic Mountains of WA with no bag. I had the bag with me, but on the last night of the trip I left it in it's stuff sack. The lows were ~ 50*F. I slept in my Bozeman MTN Works 14 oz polargard pants ( error edit: 14 oz hooded TOP) and 8 oz bottoms, plus a thin layer of Long Johns. Under the hammock, I had the HH SuperShelter for insulation. I did OK. Toasty on the bottom.

I started out ( about 10PM) in just the long johns, actually overheating a bit. But I woke up about 1AM a little chilled on top, and put the jacket and pants on. Then I slept just fine the rest of the night. But when my buddies woke me up about 0700, I noticed that I was just almost too cool for comfort on top, fine on the bottom. So I think if it had even been 5*F colder, I would have wanted a bag or quilt. And if I had not had the 22 oz worth of hooded PG clothing, I would have been very uncomfortable even at those temps.

YMMV, and probably will.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-21-2008 at 19:26.

no offense BB, I get what you're saying, but IMO, 22 oz of polarguard clothing could just as easily be spent on a 22 oz (or less) bag. I bet your BMW clothing is expensive too. Basically you're wearing a high tech synthetic sleeping bag in the shape of a jacket and pants. Don't get me wrong, I have the same kind of stuff, but i'd rather have a 40 degree bag for 50 degree nights than carry such warm clothing when it's 70+ during the day. My 40 degree quilt is just under 16 pz (jrb) and a 6 oz pad is all I need. Plus it's a lot easier to cool off than if I had to remove pants.

that's just my preference, I can understand the alternative argument

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    You need to stop and think what "average lows" mean and where they are measured.
    I went to http://www.wunderground.com to and scanned the daily lows for August 2007 and you make a very good point. The lowest temperature for the month of August was 39 degrees. The average lows were 50 degrees with average highs of 62 degrees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast