WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks

Top Quilts for Kids

I would like to make a pair of TQs for my twin 6-year-olds.

1. They are growing like little weeds so I want to make the TQs big enough so they get a couple of years out of them. How much bigger than them should I go? They are about 42" tall and if stick to the growth chart, should end up being around 72" by the time they are done growing.

2. Insulation: I wish to go with a synthetic for a couple of reason. Their mother is allergic to down. In the woods they have the amazing ability of finding any moisture and step, stand, play, or fall in it. So they will likely bring moisture into the TQ with them. Cost: synthetics are less expensive and I expect they will outgrow them. Synthetics also look to be easy to work with compared to down.

3. They are use to sleeping under blankets and don't do well in bags so far. I assume they will eventually work this out, but until then it is flannel pajamas for them.

Questions:
    1. Where can I find a patter to follow, or how should I go about making my own, that will fit a kid?

2. What material should I use for the shell? How much will I need? Where can I get it?

3. What type of synthetic insulation should I use? How much should I use (they sleep cold and most likely will not be out when night time temps are below 50*)? Where can I get it?

4. Anything I am missing here?

If this works out, I may try making them hammocks and UQs next
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I'm going to let someone else talk on the tq questions.

Hammocks are extremely easy to make. For a simple gathered end hammock all you do is cut the fabric to length and then whip the ends. IMO it's the easiest DIY piece of gear to make.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Thanks Lubbockhammockguy!
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    You can likely re-purpose a synthetic rectangular bag of your choice to make a pair of quilts. Remove the zipper and make the head/foot ends offset between the pair. Add some bias tape and sew up a small footbox and you're al set. I think you can squeeze out enough material from one big single bag.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    You can likely re-purpose a synthetic rectangular bag of your choice to make a pair of quilts. Remove the zipper and make the head/foot ends offset between the pair. Add some bias tape and sew up a small footbox and you're al set. I think you can squeeze out enough material from one big single bag.
    There is an idea I had not thought of. Hummmm. I will look into that. I could probably do the same with another bag and get a couple of UQ made for them too.

I was hoping to keep the weight down on these as I will be packing all of my stuff and all of theirs.
    - Unknown

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I see people recommending http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/isle.cgi?type=all as a good place to order materials from.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I see people recommending http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/isle.cgi?type=all as a good place to order materials from.
    I emailed some question to the folks at DIYGearSupply over a week ago and no reply. I didn't see a phone number so I could not give them a call. I am leery about ordering from a place that I cannot get a hold off. It really looks like they have good selection of fabrics on their website.

I have had not trouble getting in touch with other vendors like Dutch and Adam who did a great job answering my questions and getting me set up. Brandon at Warbonnet also got back to me in a very timely fashion and I would not hesitate to place additional orders with them. If the folks at DIY would get back to me, I would consider ordering some stuff!
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I did this for two of my kids and it worked great. Just make sure the sleeping bag isn't lined with cotten flannel. PM me if you want to get some more info on how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I emailed some question to the folks at DIYGearSupply over a week ago and no reply. I didn't see a phone number so I could not give them a call. I am leery about ordering from a place that I cannot get a hold off. It really looks like they have good selection of fabrics on their website.

I have had not trouble getting in touch with other vendors like Dutch and Adam who did a great job answering my questions and getting me set up. Brandon at Warbonnet also got back to me in a very timely fashion and I would not hesitate to place additional orders with them. If the folks at DIY would get back to me, I would consider ordering some stuff!
    I understand your sentiment, but don't worry about ordering from Scott at DIY Gear Supply. He may just have been unavailable that day. He is top notch, and has been very helpful to many folks on HF. Scott ranks right up there with the others you mentioned.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    IXUQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    I understand your sentiment, but don't worry about ordering from Scott at DIY Gear Supply. He may just have been unavailable that day. He is top notch, and has been very helpful to many folks on HF. Scott ranks right up there with the others you mentioned.
    I second this sentiment - I've just placed a large order (well large for me). Scott was patient and answered all my questions without making me feel stupid Shipping (to Canada) was fair and reasonable considering the size of the order.

I went with Scott based on the glowing reviews on the forum and how highly regarded he seems to be here.

CdnDave
    Last edited by CdnDave; 04-19-2012 at 21:24. Reason: over quoted :)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    If someone has a phone number I can use to contact them, that would be great!

I have seen a lot of good stuff about them here too. That is why I thought they would be a good group to work with.

I will send them another email and see if scott or someone will get back to me.

My wife has a degree in fashion design and can run a sewing errrr thread injector with the best of them. I just need to get get a pattern nailed down and some materials.

I'm still thinking it may be a good idea to use the modified rectangle bag, but I would also like to see how to.put TQs together.
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast