Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So now we are down to about 1 oz more but we lack a net. The sewn on net for my HH Explorer weighed about 3 oz, but if you are going to use a WL net, that will add about 7 oz or so.
    My Papasmurf Tulle Bug sock weighs 2oz! My No-seeum Papasmurf Bug Sock weighs 5.8oz!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Here is the link to the Papasmurf Bug sock!

http://www.dream-hammock.com/#ecwid:...=0&sort=normal
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Wow, great ideas, now here's a plan . . .

Thanks to all for welcoming me and my question, and for all the great advice. My thinking now is to sneak up gradually on my own "ultimate UL hammock solution" in increments, learning and re-learning as I go.

So . . . I'm thinking to start off I may get the Nano hammock, $60 at Amazon right now, and see if I am comfortable in it. If I am, then I can build the rest of my system around it. If not, I'm not out any big bucks, and I'm sure someone else will want it at the right resale proce.

I have a Gossamer Gear Spinn Twinn tarp that weighs 10 oz. Obviously heavier than I will want eventually, but if it is long enough to work as a hammock tarp, it will get me started and I can look to buy or make a cuben replacement at some point to cut that weight in half.

My JRB quilts can serve as top or underquilts, so no need to buy anything new, at least right away. I will need to do something for bug protection; may have to communicate with Papa Smurf about his offerings in this department, or try to make something on my own.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    My JRB quilts can serve as top or underquilts, so no need to buy anything new, at least right away.
    If you don't already have a set, JRB sells the hammock suspension system that goes with their quilts.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    If the GT Nano doesn't work, don't give up hope. There are other hammocks that are a slightly larger than the Nano that will provide more comfort if that is an issue. The Ghost DIY hammock and even the GT Ultralight are low-cost, low-weight, and low-bulk options for the weight-conscious hanger.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    If you don't already have a set, JRB sells the hammock suspension system that goes with their quilts.
    Yeah, I have to hunt around. I know I used to have some, can't remember when I last saw them though.

Images
    Thanks to all for welcoming me and my question, and for all the great advice. My thinking now is to sneak up gradually on my own "ultimate UL hammock solution" in increments, learning and re-learning as I go.

So . . . I'm thinking to start off I may get the Nano hammock, $60 at Amazon right now, and see if I am comfortable in it. If I am, then I can build the rest of my system around it. If not, I'm not out any big bucks, and I'm sure someone else will want it at the right resale proce.

I have a Gossamer Gear Spinn Twinn tarp that weighs 10 oz. Obviously heavier than I will want eventually, but if it is long enough to work as a hammock tarp, it will get me started and I can look to buy or make a cuben replacement at some point to cut that weight in half.

My JRB quilts can serve as top or underquilts, so no need to buy anything new, at least right away. I will need to do something for bug protection; may have to communicate with Papa Smurf about his offerings in this department, or try to make something on my own.
    Since weight seems to be your primary (?) consideration even as you try to increase comfort and camp site options with a hammock, keep short UQs in mind. Something like a 3 season Yeti will save considerable weight and bulk, most particular if you are always going to take a sit pad anyway. Or if a pad is part of your pack suspension. Then when it is cold enough to need it, one of those pads can serve as your hammock leg pad ( dual use ). If that pad is part of your pack suspension any way, then there is no extra weight involved in using it. Or even if you were taking some CCF any way just for sitting around camp.

But I guess an even better example of dual, even triple use, is if you have a pad which could be used as a sit pad, in your pack and finally as insulation in a hammock ( or even if forced to ground).

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    if a pad is part of your pack suspension. Then when it is cold enough to need it, one of those pads can serve as your hammock leg pad ( dual use ). If that pad is part of your pack suspension any way, then there is no extra weight involved in using it. Or even if you were taking some CCF any way just for sitting around camp.

But I guess an even better example of dual, even triple use, is if you have a pad which could be used as a sit pad, in your pack and finally as insulation in a hammock ( or even if forced to ground).
    Yes, I use a Gossamer Gear Murmur or Gorilla pack 90% of the time; they both have a "SitLight" pad as a back pad that I roll up and use as a pillow when ground sleeping, so I have that small CCF pad available to me. I usually also take a piece of 6 mm evazote that is 20" by 30" to use as a sit pad and I've got other CCF pads of various sizes and thicknesses I can also play around with. I'll have to check out the Yeti.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea one even feasible to sew a pad pocket of light mesh onto the bottom of the Nano tarp. I tend to move/roll around a lot when sleeping and im concerned that I'd probably end up off any pad I had in the tarp with me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Nano order cancelled . . .

. . . in favor of BIAS Weight Weenie - almost as light, more generously sized, right-priced. Should be good!

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    As you can see, my shelter and sleep system come in under 3 pounds for most of the year, and just over 4 pounds even in the winter. How close to this can I get in a hammock? Many thanks for your ideas.
    Here's my list: https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    My Shelter weight is 1.84 lb. That's tarp, hammock w/integrated bug net, simple tree strap/whoopie suspension, and a couple of in-hammock storage things. The hammock is made of Hexon 1.0 which seems borderline too light for me at 170 lbs.

Sleep stuff is 2.9 lbs, and includes 40° TQ & UQ, inflatable pillow and ground pad. That pad is 11oz, so leaving it behind would give one a substantial weight savings.

Total 4.74 lb

All that provides me the option to go to ground using tarp and sleeping pad. Or to use a trail shelter. Or hostel.

L Dog

PS I still carry one a your suave Ti trowels!
    Last edited by Ldog; 09-04-2022 at 22:06.
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast