Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    If there's a better set up to be bought I'd be happy to update the blog.
    I think "better" is subjective, better isn't always better to each individual...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I’m interested in the lightest options, ideally with bug protection and 4-season worthiness, but I would also consider a hammock system that I would only use in summer. For comparisons to my miserable, lowly, ground-dwelling system (but very light), here are the weights:

Hexamid shelter with full bug net, cuben ground cloth, 8 ti stakes: 13.4 oz

NeoAir pad: 12.4 oz

Quilt for temps 40 degrees and above: JRB Shenandoah: 16.0 oz
    Quilt for temps 25 degrees and above: JRB Sierra Sniveller: 21.7 oz
    Below freezing would supplement NeoAir pad with Evazote pad weighing 5 oz
    Sleeping bag for temps below 25 degrees: Western Mountaineering Badger: 40.6 oz

As you can see, my shelter and sleep system come in under 3 pounds for most of the year, and just over 4 pounds even in the winter. How close to this can I get in a hammock? Many thanks for your ideas. Oh, BTW, I'm 225 lbs, so hammock system would have to deal with that.
    Add hammock (for +225 lbs) of choice to above weights: example non-bug season WL Lite Owl dbl layer + 18 oz and Keep the same pad/pads,

or replace pad with maybe warmer for weight CCF. (espec in warmer temps when a very thin pad will do- no need for cushioning)

Or subtract Neo pad/ccf(12.4 + 5 oz) and replace with WB 3 season Yeti ( or whatever) to ~20F. (12.5 oz) continue to use 4 or 5 oz of CCF for legs when cold enough. (But, while you are at it, if replacing pad with UQ, go to single layer hammock to save a few more oz )

Add tarp of choice ( 13-20 oz), subtract Hexamid 13.4 oz

Or ( so many alternatives!) for bug season replace Hexamid with HH Explorer UL/tarp
    36 oz - 13.4= 22.6 oz additional weight. ( subtract pad 13.4 oz for total weight change of +8.6 oz for low temps above 70F, or replace with lighter thinner CCF)

Replace Neoair with HHSS ( or some UQ): HHSS 20 oz =2 oz(space blanket)
    22 oz minus both pads 17.4 = another 4.6 oz wt. total additional 27 oz for hammock and HHSS vs Hexamid and pads.

TQ/bag wts all the same, except you might get better TQ coverage in a hammock compared to ground.

So many ways to go. But with a need for hammock to handle 225 lbs, probably going to have to pick up at least a few oz even in summer time and dropping or replacing heavier pads for ground use.

I notice you mention Cuben in your ground wts. Use Cuben tarps ( and hammock? ) and reduce equiv hammock wts by quite a few more oz.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-18-2012 at 13:48.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    If there's a better set up to be bought I'd be happy to update the blog.
    There are a few lighter top insulation options.

I use a Zpacks 30* bag that weighs 14.4 ozs. You can get it without the zipper to save a few grams.

http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

This bag is 4.6 ozs lighter than a WB topquilt.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I am 6'-1" tall and weigh 200#.

My 11' long hammock, complete with suspension and bugnet or winter sock (interchangeable), is 18 ounces.

My complete sleep system including pillow for 40 degrees and above is 25 ounces.

My tarp is big and heavy at 18 ounces including all stakes and lines. But a big cuben tarp would be 1/2 of that, complete.

So, with the cuben tarp option, you are looking at 3-1/4 pounds total for hammock, tarp & sleep system. And that's a very comfortable setup, not a spartan UL setup.

For a winter system, simply add more ounces of down for thicker top & under quilts.

If you want to push the UL envelope, search for Sgt Rock's threads.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    There are a few lighter top insulation options.

I use a Zpacks 30* bag that weighs 14.4 ozs. You can get it without the zipper to save a few grams.

http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

This bag is 4.6 ozs lighter than a WB topquilt.
    Has anyone used this bag down to the limits and beyond?
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Has anyone used this bag down to the limits and beyond?
    I don't own one yet, and I stress yet, but, there is some good feedback on other site's! Here are only a couple for your perusing (there are others)!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...:75.243.215.49

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=57106

"yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Here is one more that has a great deal of info!

http://hiking26.blogspot.com.au/#!/2...eping-bag.html
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    I have only used mine in the low 30's, but I was comfortable.

I have not had the chance to go lower in South Carolina.

QiWiz,

Here is the link to SGT Rocks thread on the 13oz set-up (this is the hammock and tarp complete ready to go/use) You would still need your insulation, but, it most certainly be done!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614

Images
    I had not mentioned the GT Nano UL used in Sgt. Rock's 13 oz thread as I did not know if it was up to the 225 lb weight requirement. Now I see that- with it's single layer of 1.27 oz/sq.yd fabric, it is rated for and incredible 300 lbs. Even if that turns out to be really pushing it for long term use, that should still have no trouble with 225 lbs.

So, you can drop my first 18 oz recommendation (WL Night Owl No Net ) or the HH Explorer UL ( ~ 25 oz without tarp) down to about 7 oz. That is a major game changer assuming you would be comfortable in this hammock- I guess many are. Still, no double layer, so continuing to use your pads would be a challenge, and no net. There is always a 4 oz SPE if you can find or make one. Or of course as one suggestion from above.

So, 7 oz hammock + WB diamond tarp 7.5 oz= 14.5 oz. Compared to the 13.4 oz Hexamid. So now we are down to about 1 oz more but we lack a net. The sewn on net for my HH Explorer weighed about 3 oz, but if you are going to use a WL net, that will add about 7 oz or so. And of course we need a Cuben tarp to get the weight down even more, but we are awful darn close here. Or again, actually about 12 oz ahead with the hammock if the weather is warm enough that you know you will not need a pad, or at worst your 3-4 oz sit pad. Depends on where you are, but there are times of the year where I do not want any insulation what so ever under me- or on top. I am just desperate to stay cool enough. So in those conditions the weight advantage goes to the hammock. Unless you are tough enough to sleep on the ground with no pad, and maybe 1 out of a hundred of us fall into that category.

All just a bunch of ( though fun to consider ) theory for me, as I would not sacrifice being comfy in a hammock and being able to sleep over sloping/rocky/muddy ground and being off the ground during down pours for 1 or 2 lbs, much less a few oz. In fact, just to gain some possible comfort advantage, I will use much heavier hammocks than the GT UL. Like a 2+ lb dbl layer WBBB or a 37 oz JRB Bridge. If my total pack weights, with food and water, are between 15- 25 lbs, I'm good to go. I will sacrifice a pound or two if needed to really increase comfort and convenience. Still so much ahead of those 40-70 lb days!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast