Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    LMAO!!!!! Hooch, you are a nut.

I sold my WBBB 1.1 Dbl, but I still have a couple Hennessey's. The Safari which my husband loves, the Deep Jungle which I love (Nice material), and the Explorer UL. Want to get the 2QZQ mod 4 done on the UL, and maybe the DJ.

No, they don't give me diarrhea...
    Last edited by Cali; 04-19-2012 at 13:12.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    There does seem to be a general trend to migrate from Hennessy to Blackbird. I have only used the Hennessy, but there are aspects of the Blackbird that seem appealing. If my resources were unlimited, I'd be tempted to try one, but since they are not:

Hennessy, depending on the model, seems to run cheaper, especially when you figure that it comes with a tarp. I bought the Hennessy Super Shelter, which I haven't put through it's paces yet, but which I hope will have me comfortably hanging at lower temps for a little less than the average under quilt.

When I bought my Hennessy, I did not know about the Blackbird. I doubt it would have made a difference. I was able to get out and camping in the Hennessy at a price I could afford. Maybe some day I will get to try a Blackbird, and maybe it will inspire me to switch, but it will be an expensive switch, assuming the the Hennessy fly and the SuperShelter will not transfer over, so even if I am tempted to switch, I'll be happy to have the Hennessy while I gather up the pieces needed to get a comparable second hammock.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't hear anyone saying, "I got hammock X and couldn't stand it, so I bought a different one." It's more that there's often a slight preference for one over the other. Which is to say that you probably can't go wrong as long as you take your basic needs into account when you make your choice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    There is absoultely nothing wrong with the HH-this was my first real hammock, and served me well for several years. I understand they offer either the bottom entrance or a side zip now-so, you can choose. For a first TRUE hammock, I would suggest getting one of these, simply because its a great hammock for the price, and you get the complete package-hammock, bugnet, and tarp. A WBBB, you get the hammock. Now, I am CERTAINLY not knocking the WBBB-I love mine and wouldnt give it up for anything. But, for less money, you get the tarp with the HH-and, again, they are good hammocks, that you will get a couple years out of, at least. And, when you are looking to upgrade, you can always sell it off, to help fund your next purchase (which will likely be a WBBB!!!)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Like most noobs, the WBBB was on my wish list. Then I spent a miserable night in a borrowed WBBB. I wasn't set up right 'cause it was too cold to keep fidgeting with getting dialed in. I got the dreaded calf pressure (which I never get in my HH Exped). I'd like to try sleeping in a WBBB again just so I don't make a rush to judgement. The shelf is cool but the foot box doesn't really blow my skirt up.

When I bought the HH Expedition, I was sure I wanted an integrated bugnet. However, the integrated bugnet really got on my nerves winter camping - it was so totally unnecessary sans mosquitoes. I then bought a "winter" Buttinasling DL. It sleeps so wonderfully with its 11 ft. length, I think it will be my year-round hammock. I just have to get a separate bugnet (hint, hint - tn_camper).

On one side of my mind, I'm saying to myself "separate bugnets suck - I like integrated." And the winter side of my brain is saying, "Integrated bugnets suck in winter." And another part of my brain is saying, "If bugs are around, I won't be happy either way." I'm like a human bug magnet. If I'm in your campsite nobody will get bit 'cause all the mosquitoes will be following me.

So I'm leaning towards the separate bugnet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Hard to go wrong with either one.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    When I bought the HH Expedition, I was sure I wanted an integrated bugnet. However, the integrated bugnet really got on my nerves winter camping - it was so totally unnecessary sans mosquitoes. I then bought a "winter" Buttinasling DL. It sleeps so wonderfully with its 11 ft. length, I think it will be my year-round hammock. I just have to get a separate bugnet (hint, hint - tn_camper).
    Yeah, yeah! I'm workin on it. Just as soon as the kids get to bed.

I have an integrated myself. It was a prototype and there will be no pics of it on the web. It does work but my feeling about nets are pretty much identical to yours.

Well, Brian said "breaks over" so I gotta go back to the dungeon.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    I think I need a double layer for warmth? IDK

Thanks
    A double layer on any hammock won't do it for warmth without something else like an UQ or pad. If you meant double layer so that you can put your pad between the layers to keep it from moving around, that's the idea. But on it's own, a DL of fabric won't do it. Most people here prefer an UQ.

A side note on HH's is that some people do not like the velcro closure on the bottom. It's hard to get into the seam when you have a pad or UQ over the entire bottom. You'll have to get into it and then move it. That's why HH introduced a side zip model within the last few years. If you're looking at a HH (I wouldn't mind a Deep Jungle XL side zip), you might want to consider this.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I agree separate bug nets suck, and the winter I use my net out of habit. my solution was a 2QZQ mod4.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Like most noobs, the WBBB was on my wish list. Then I spent a miserable night in a borrowed WBBB. I wasn't set up right 'cause it was too cold to keep fidgeting with getting dialed in. I got the dreaded calf pressure (which I never get in my HH Exped). I'd like to try sleeping in a WBBB again just so I don't make a rush to judgement. The shelf is cool but the foot box doesn't really blow my skirt up.

On one side of my mind, I'm saying to myself "separate bugnets suck - I like integrated." And the winter side of my brain is saying, "Integrated bugnets suck in winter." And another part of my brain is saying, "If bugs are around, I won't be happy either way." I'm like a human bug magnet. If I'm in your campsite nobody will get bit 'cause all the mosquitoes will be following me.

So I'm leaning towards the separate bugnet.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    Did the same thing

Same here

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob3E View Post

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't hear anyone saying, "I got hammock X and couldn't stand it, so I bought a different one." It's more that there's often a slight preference for one over the other. Which is to say that you probably can't go wrong as long as you take your basic needs into account when you make your choice.
    I'm going on record. I bought a HH and couldn't stand it. Leg extension pain, couldn't ever figure out how to lay on my right side and I was totally claustrophobic in it with that bottom entry. I almost cut myself out of it one night.

I switched to a WBBB 1.7 DL and loved it. Then I sold that and bought a WBBB 1.1 SL for the weight savings and love that! It's my go to hiking hammock. Over the winter I bought a used Clark NX-200 and think I may like the lay even better than WBBB, but I'm not giving up that blackbird.

Okay... I guess I have an opinion on this topic for what it's worth.

I agree with one of the others, buy both and sell whichever you like the least.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast