Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New guy here with a jeep

I just got a good deal on a skeet beater that i bought because a friend of mine told me it was a good one. I just wanted to get on here an see if anyone does any jeeping like i do and use a hammock. As most would know jeeps are limited on space so i am trying to get back packing gear to replace some of my bulky tents and sleeping bags. I figure the skeeter beater will be a good hammock as long as its warm out, which i plan on using while out on hunting trips and keep the bugs off me. Does anyone have any experience with this hammock or jeeping trips using hammocks and can make any recommendations for a great camping experience. Im going to have to get the ol' lady one too but shes not going to be happy that she can be close to me out in the woods lol.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    I used to use one with my jeep while 4 wheeling along time ago. I even made a custom receiver insert that folded up. I then hooked my hammock from the back of the jeep to a single tree. Worked pretty nice. Plan on checking into an under quilt to keep your backside warm.

Images
    You and I are opposite twins, brother. I have all the hammock stuff together and I'm just lusting like crazy for a Jeep. I thought ultralight hiking and camping stuff was pricey. Boy howdy. Still, one day buddy. One day....as soon as I can.

Hammock
    My DYI
    Tarp
    My DYI
    Insulation
    Stuff and junk
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    I still wheel my rig and ... I use a hammock. It's a sad state of affairs. Me and my gf use our hammocks together. We'll hang from the same trees side by side and mostly use the same rainfly. Sometimes wheeling for 3 or four days and nights.

Hammock
    My DYI
    Tarp
    My DYI
    Insulation
    Stuff and junk
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    My current recommendations:
    No matter how you slice it you're gonna need butt insulation. Use a 30-40 degree mummy bag like a top quilt with a close cell foam pad. That'll keep you and her warm enough through the summer months.
    Since your wheeling and camping that shouldn't take up too much space.
    Rainfly: Your gonna want one, need one, wish you had one. Get one. Keep it with your gear. Multiple uses when wheeling.
    Again, you're wheelin. Shouldn't take up too much space.
    If you keep it utilitarian and simple you should be able to have a comfortable night with your woman. Remember brother, their ain't no rules.

thanks guys i will definitely look at getting an underquilt the more i read up on this hammock thing. Would you say you loose about 10-15* sleeping bag rating in a hammock? I plan on just finding a single tree and being able to strap one end to the jeep roll bar or my front stinger. That or between two rigs lol.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    not sure if you are ever on expo ? http://www.expeditionportal.com
    great 4x4 overland style group

we use hammocks we have tied off to the front bumper but it can be a touch low depending on your angles etc...
    have used our roof rack before so maybe roll bar through rear window or something would be better height ?
    google up the hammock hang calculator can give you a idea of length and height needed etc...

coming up with a setup which uses legs on one side goes to our roof rack for the other so we can still hang with no trees at times basically something like the hammeck stands but a single side then to the roof rack you can see the hammeck stands (vendor here) http://www.hammeck.com/stands/
    so imagine a leg and ridge pole to the car and then another for the other hammock
    just something to think about with no trees around

as said insulation but as far as temps I dont feel you will loose anything temp wise as long as like the ground you have bottom insulation so in hammocks most prefer UQ setups to pads but pads can work

when we switched to the hammocks full time we have our big agnes bags we used till at least wife and I got UQ and TQ setups which IMHO are superior in every way to hammocks and pads together so might be worth checking into once you feel you like the comfort of the hammock

to me its not as much about saving weight and space as both systems can end up being close its about the superior comfort I get in the Hammock

used to have a nice conqueror trailer and RTT setup even and IMHO again hammocks are so superior in comfort worth making them work with no trees for us 4x4 camping types or car camping since the extra weight is easy to handle

also nothing touching the ground like a RTT can be nice when its raining out or muddy ground since you can pitch the tarp first then hang your hammock and bags things will stay dry also !

Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    not sure if you are ever on expo ? http://www.expeditionportal.com
    great 4x4 overland style group

we use hammocks we have tied off to the front bumper but it can be a touch low depending on your angles etc...
    have used our roof rack before so maybe roll bar through rear window or something would be better height ?
    google up the hammock hang calculator can give you a idea of length and height needed etc...

coming up with a setup which uses legs on one side goes to our roof rack for the other so we can still hang with no trees at times basically something like the hammeck stands but a single side then to the roof rack you can see the hammeck stands (vendor here) http://www.hammeck.com/stands/
    so imagine a leg and ridge pole to the car and then another for the other hammock
    just something to think about with no trees around

as said insulation but as far as temps I dont feel you will loose anything temp wise as long as like the ground you have bottom insulation so in hammocks most prefer UQ setups to pads but pads can work

when we switched to the hammocks full time we have our big agnes bags we used till at least wife and I got UQ and TQ setups which IMHO are superior in every way to hammocks and pads together so might be worth checking into once you feel you like the comfort of the hammock

to me its not as much about saving weight and space as both systems can end up being close its about the superior comfort I get in the Hammock

used to have a nice conqueror trailer and RTT setup even and IMHO again hammocks are so superior in comfort worth making them work with no trees for us 4x4 camping types or car camping since the extra weight is easy to handle

also nothing touching the ground like a RTT can be nice when its raining out or muddy ground since you can pitch the tarp first then hang your hammock and bags things will stay dry also !
    Yeah im over on expedition too for my trailer build that i plan on starting this summer. I want to get a rtt on my trailer and have the hammocks for When i cant take the trailer.

Ill need to invest a lot of coin lol. Maybe this project will take a little while longer than i thought lol.

I know im very comfortable in a hammock, im not usually a back sleeper so i will have to get used to not sleeping face down.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    cool user name over there is Honu

I kinda want to build a trailer again ? had a conqueror conquest which I loved but got tired of towing ? but they are so handy in so many ways

if the regular hammocks once you get your angles and lay down do not work as well maybe a bridge ?
    I am not a back sleeper but the hammocks are so comfy I am now and converted to sleeping in a hammock full time and my back has gotten a ton better also wake up with less OH NO I just woke up warm up kinda feeling in the joints (in my 50s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbkelley89 View Post
    Yeah im over on expedition too for my trailer build that i plan on starting this summer. I want to get a rtt on my trailer and have the hammocks for When i cant take the trailer.

Ill need to invest a lot of coin lol. Maybe this project will take a little while longer than i thought lol.

I know im very comfortable in a hammock, im not usually a back sleeper so i will have to get used to not sleeping face down.

finally ordered a cheap hammock and plan on using it in the next few weeks i will post pics when i do! I will see how much i like it then i should start looking into diy or one of the recommended hammocks here as the cheap one i got people are not that fond of. I am very exited however to use the hammock wish me luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast