Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    How to wear in your structural ridgeline, get the constructional looseness out of it now.

Running the numbers for the WarbonnetBB:

Assuming it is 120 inches
    Assuming the structural ridgeline 100 inches
    Assuming the ridgeline material is 450 bs line
    Assuming you hang at 15 degrees from horizontal, not 30
    Then: For every lb of your weight, there is about 1.1 lb of tenion on the ridgeline
    So: If you are 180lb, then you will put about 200lb of pressure on the ridgeline.

You will need to and want to attach the straps to the tree much lower down, both to get in, and to fall almost not at all if there is something amiss with the ridgeline knots. From the work I've seen of WBGuy, this is strictly for safety and will be unnecessary.

300 pounders here will want to back off and hang at 20degrees to apply just under 200lb of tension to the ridgeline.

Again: It would be great if some Warbonnet owners who never changed their ridgeline lengths would accurately measure them before and after getting the constructional looseness out.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-21-2012 at 19:36.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Following the suggestions listed here I have eliminated calf ridge and gotten a flatter lay. I am starting to understand more about the relationship of one adjustment to another.

One thing that I learned that may help someone else who may be new at this is, I was making adjustment that were way too drastic. I should have been making small adjustments and trying to understand what effect it had. I'm not there yet but I'm a LOT closer.
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    How to wear in your structural ridgeline, get the constructional looseness out of it now.

Running the numbers for the WarbonnetBB:

Assuming it is 120 inches
    Assuming the structural ridgeline 100 inches
    Assuming the ridgeline material is 450 bs line
    Assuming you hang at 15 degrees from horizontal, not 30
    Then: For every lb of your weight, there is about 1.1 lb of tenion on the ridgeline
    So: If you are 180lb, then you will put about 200lb of pressure on the ridgeline.

You will need to and want to attach the straps to the tree much lower down, both to get in, and to fall almost not at all if there is something amiss with the ridgeline knots. From the work I've seen of WBGuy, this is strictly for safety and will be unnecessary.

300 pounders here will want to back off and hang at 20degrees to apply just under 200lb of tension to the ridgeline.

Again: It would be great if some Warbonnet owners who never changed their ridgeline lengths would accurately measure them before and after getting the constructional looseness out.
    I don't mind measuring my RL, I am sure all of the stretch is out. It would have to be removed to get an accurate measurement I would think.

Considering this; 300 pounders here will want to back off and hang at 20degrees to apply just under 200lb of tension to the ridgeline. Would less tension on the RL help in eliminating calf ridge?
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 04-22-2012 at 10:59.
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'd urge you to search here for reports on this. WBBB owners have reported extensively.

By physical analysis there is no change whatever in the hammock tension once the ridgeline is tight. So, I cannot see how that can change the lay.

But, load the ridgeline to 30% of BS, and it will stretch -- the word is stretch, not lengthen-- because it will recover -- by an inch. And it will do that over and over again, before and after the constructional looseness is out. That stretch will change the lay. Put your hand on a tight ridgeline and move your body for and aft on any ge hammock, and the tension on the ridgeline changes. I doubt, however that the Amsteel ridgeline is changing length except minutely under such changes. Anyway, it is the changed location of the load, your butt, that radically alters the furrows called "calf pressure", not small changes in the hang.

Unless WB pre-loaded the ridgelines, which I doubt, yours likely has constructional looseness. Only long- time or serious loads change that. You can think of it like the packing of flour in a container: You can tamp with a lot of pressure. You can tap quite a lot. Or you can let vibrations over time cause the flour to settle.

I don't know how much constructional looseness there is because I have never seen it measured, here or elsewhere. To my knowledge, it does not come from the factory pre-broken either. (It gets about 10% stronger after repeated partial loading).
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-22-2012 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0rst View Post
    The foot-box complicates the interaction of the angle of the suspension, the tightness of the ridge line, the length of the ridge-line, and sag....

Hope this helps.
    You know...this is a freaking AWESOME post!

I'd argue that if an amsteel ridge line, regardless of diameter, is truly getting stretched when you're in the hammock, then the hammock is being hung too tightly in the first place! Besides, once the weave is tightened, I can't imagine any perceptible stretching occurring...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123