Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing

Would appreciate a little help troubleshooting a problem.

In trying to find my sweet spot in my 1.7D BB, I am experiencing the following.

When I get my ridgeline at the correct tension I have a bad calf ridge. So, I raised the foot end about 6 inches on the tree and lengthened the strap on the foot end a few inches to get my height off the ground at a comfortable position, then the ridgeline is sagging. Seems as though correcting one thing creates another problem. I am sure this is a novice problem, I just don't know how to fix it. I feel like I'm going around in a circle.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    If its comfy with a sagging ridgeline i say leave it. I think the pourpuse of raising the foot end is so the hammock is physicaly higher on the foot end changes the way you lay in the hamock. You can try hanging the foot end closer to the tree that has worked for me as well. Good luck

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How wide are your trees? Sounds like your on the right track. Maybe somewhere in between.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The ridgeline is more for guidance than a mandate IMO. Finding the "sweet spot" that works for you is the key. My experience suggests that a bit more slack in the ridgeline is to be preferred over a tight/taut ridgeline.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    If its comfy with a sagging ridgeline i say leave it. I think the pourpuse of raising the foot end is so the hammock is physicaly higher on the foot end changes the way you lay in the hamock. You can try hanging the foot end closer to the tree that has worked for me as well. Good luck
    Thanks matty, I'll try moving the foot end closer and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    How wide are your trees? Sounds like your on the right track. Maybe somewhere in between.
    Shug
    Shug they are just a few inches over 15 feet apart. I'll also try adjustments in smaller increments. I just hope I learn something here in the yard so I don't have much trouble in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    The ridgeline is more for guidance than a mandate IMO. Finding the "sweet spot" that works for you is the key. My experience suggests that a bit more slack in the ridgeline is to be preferred over a tight/taut ridgeline.
    Beep, that makes sense. Maybe a slack ridgeline is the key for me IDK.

I'll keep working at it, I sure do appreciate the guidance!
    David

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I agree with the advice about changing up your position a little, and that the ridgeline doesn't have to be taut if it's comfortable.

All other things being equal...you might just prefer to shorten your ridgeline a small amount...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I agree with the advice about changing up your position a little, and that the ridgeline doesn't have to be taut if it's comfortable.

All other things being equal...you might just prefer to shorten your ridgeline a small amount...
    Thanks angrysparrow.

When you say change my position a little are you talking about my physical position in the hammock or changing the position of the hammock? IE; suspension length, distance from the tree and height of the suspension on the tree? Thanks much.
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 04-18-2012 at 20:12.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Just my 2 cents here and I know I don't have the experience of others, but my first thought was to get it comfortable (with the saggy ridgeline) then adjust the ridgeline to fit your good fit. Yes, no, maybe so?
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you raise the foot end and then lengthen the strap you are starting to negate raising the foot end in the first place. Instead of raising the foot end 6 inches and then lengthening the foot end suspension to lower the hammock, try raising the foot end 3 inches and lowering the head 3 inches and don't change the strap lengths.

Also, try raising the foot end to the point where when you are in the hammock you are more towards the head end and more towards your right. I have read that some people even have the foot end 12 inches higher than the head.

The ridgeline is a guide for me most of the time. When you find where you are comfortable take note of the ridgeline. If it's really sagging, you may have to shorten it. Sometimes it takes time to find your comfort zone. Keep at it!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    When you say change my position a little are you talking about my phisical position in the hammock or changing the position of the hammock? IE; suspension length, distance from the tree and height of the suspension on the tree?
    I meant changing your physical position in the hammock. Sometimes, the calf pressure can be alleviated by sliding towards the head end just a bit, or changing the angle of diagonal you're laying on. That assumes that you've got the hammock hung how you want it with regards to either being level or having the foot end slightly higher though.

The reason that people initially started hanging their foot end a tiny bit higher was so that their center of gravity wouldn't naturally slide to the lowest part of the hammock over the course of a night. By raising the foot end, it puts the lowest part of the hammock where your center of mass already is, and you don't slide. Still others prefer to go a bit further than that offset, so that their feet are higher. You'll just have to experiment with a few nights sleep to see which way suits you best.

Think of the adjustments on the tree vs length of suspension as working in concert. Raising one tree strap will have about the same effect on the height of the hammock as shortening the suspension on that same end. But, while raising the strap doesn't tighten the ridgeline, shortening the suspension does. So, if your hammock is at a comfortable height but the ridgeline isn't tight...try tightening the suspension a little. If you can't get it right, then try lowering the straps a bit, and tighten the suspension again. Chances are that this will take the slack out.

It takes a little practice to be able to judge how high on the tree your straps should be for any given span between trees. You should get the hang of this first, along with adjusting the tautness of the suspension to match. Then, once you are comfortable with that, if you find that you chronically still have a calf ridge then you'll know whether you want to shorten the ridgeline a bit to accommodate your preference.

Hope that's clearer than mud.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast