DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm working on an idea that could have many variations.
    i didn't take any good shots of the version i had at mt rogers because it's just not where i want it to be yet.
    like a lot of projects, i saw things i would like to have done different... even before the project was complete.
    the "end covers" will provide protection from blowing rain for the ends of the hammock & at the same time provide storage both above & below the hammock ends.
    in this photo, my empty osprey either 60 pack is inside the end cover, below the hammock support.
    hopefully i'll have something more & better to share soon.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P1270046.JPG
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tim - I was thinking about the setup you had. Using the poles to keep it open and weighing the bottom down with gear could also keep the pod from touching the hammock...even better wind protection, but without the need for "wind bumpers."

The TravelPod still pushes against the hammock when it's windy, but I can hang my pack from the middle of the ridgeline, inside the Pod, and it just hangs off the side and helps hold the Pod off of my body...a bit more protection if it's really windy.

Anyway, I really liked your setup...what do you call that thing? An underpod? Underhammock? Underwire? Athletic gear supporter?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    maybe a hammonk cup you know of protection and support hehehhe
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Tim - I was thinking about the setup you had. Using the poles to keep it open and weighing the bottom down with gear could also keep the pod from touching the hammock...even better wind protection, but without the need for "wind bumpers."

The TravelPod still pushes against the hammock when it's windy, but I can hang my pack from the middle of the ridgeline, inside the Pod, and it just hangs off the side and helps hold the Pod off of my body...a bit more protection if it's really windy.

Anyway, I really liked your setup...what do you call that thing? An underpod? Underhammock? Underwire? Athletic gear supporter?
    That's an interesting idea....maybe hang a couple of stuff sacks, one over each side. Then you could put other gear in the bottom and have nice spacing all the way around.

The other solution I was thinking about for maintaining air space was adding side tie-outs to my sock. Possibly a bit of velcro to the inside, too. That would then attach to the side of my hammock, so I could put the sock under the ridgeline without having too much sag underneath. I dont know if I'd like the side tie-outs, but I think the velcro might be worth trying.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    actually it was un-finished... i had intended to have an attached breathable top over the hammock w/ a zipper getting in & out.
    i'll try to post some improved, simplified ideas by tomorrow.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Here are a couple pictures that show our packs hooked up to the hammocks in JRB gear hammocks.

We clip a biner through the top loop of the pack and the gear hammock then hang it from the support rope. The other end of the gear hammock is attahced to the side tie out of the hammock. I am still trying to decide which side works better.

-Don

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgrav/2...7594372469657/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgrav/2...7594372469657/
    Last edited by DGrav; 01-30-2007 at 09:01.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    I use an old round aluminum tent stake that I've bent in half as an "S" hook. I stick the point of the hook/stake between hammock webbing and tree and then hang the mostly empty pack (w/ pack cover) from the hook.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I stowed my gear in my Jeff's All-In-One used as a gear hammock. It works great.

One thing I did notice is how large my Jeff's AIO is compared to the JRB production model AIO. I think that I need to size mine down a bit....quite a bit.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I stowed my gear in my Jeff's All-In-One used as a gear hammock. It works great.

One thing I did notice is how large my Jeff's AIO is compared to the JRB production model AIO. I think that I need to size mine down a bit....quite a bit.
    I noticed the same thing, but then I used mine as a pack cover on Sunday and realized that for winter loads at least, I don't want to go much smaller. On the other hand, I haven't gotten to test mine as a gear hammock yet so I don't know how detrimental the extra size might be for that use.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The AIO made from the dimensions on Jeff's site was way to big for my Opsprey Aether 70, even thought it was stuffed full of gear (bulky stuff not heavy).

What I am planning on doing is stuffing my pack with something to make it as bulky as possible and then take measurements and make an AIO that is more suited to my pack size.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast