Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    WL "Tadpole"
    Suspension
    diy whoopie sling
    Images

legality

Has anyone taken there hammock to yellowstone? I ask because i am going this summer and my scoutmaster is telling me, he was told, the park frowns on hammocks. Something along the lines of "tents being mental barriers for bears"

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Considering a car door doesn't stop noisy bears I don't see how a tent wall would either. But as far as I know hammocks are allowed in all national Parks. I could be wrong though.

I'd give them a call yourself to find out the specific rules, they may advise against hammocks due to just an opinion, but they could be completely legal to use.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & Switchback
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee & OES 4S
    Insulation
    Way too many
    Suspension
    WBBB Web Strap
    I was there last September with my hammock. You can hang in any of the campgrounds within the park. If you are going to be outside the NE side of the park, Cooke City area, you can only camp in hard sided campers. Not even tents. Now I stayed at Baker's Hole just outside of West Yellowstone. It is a great place, right on the Madison River. $15 per night and then go to Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone for showers. $5 for one of the best showers I have ever had.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I used to live in Cody about 50 miles from the east gate...I'd ask at the specific campground you plan on camping in inside of the park and if done tactfully you will probably receive the managing ranger's blessing (on one trip in the park I slept on picnic tables or the ground for the whole trip, no tent). outside of the park go for it! just remember you're in some of the busiest grizzly country around and take appropriate precautions. I was hiking on the elk horn river about 10-15 miles outside the park and spotted 4 bears in 3 miles of walking. this was early spring so they were all on the move. You're in for quite a trip! Jackson Hole and Cody are worthwhile side trips, Cody museum and the street shows and rodeo are awesome in the evening. Some good caves to trek through right outside of town too. The Tetons are one of my favorite ranges to look at that alone makes any trip to jackson worthwhile for me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet

Popped out of the woods on me last year. Yellowstone Lake in the background.
    No kidding about the bears. A couple of fatal maulings the past two years around Cooke City.
    Saw a bunch of bears on that trip, both in the Tetons and Yellowstone.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    There are some areas of the different campgrounds that require hard-sided campers. Pop-up trailers are not even allowed there. I have never seen any limits on hammock use in the campgrounds where tents are allowed. However, there are many campsites in the campgrounds that have no real tree options (Bridge Bay comes to mind), so be prepared for that.

In the back country, I have never even questioned whether I could hang my hammock. I am always able to find good hang spots there.

Hope that helps.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I emailed them the same question; below is the response I received from Yellowstone's Visitor Services on 12/16/2011.

You can find our Backcountry Trip Planner brochure at our website www.nps.gov/yell and http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...ripplanner.htm It lists a number of regulations but there's no mention that hammocks are prohibited, especially if you are using cord to suspend it. In the section of information about bears the use of tents is recommended, verses "sleeping under the stars".Also, some parts of the park can have very bad mosquitos.

You can contact the Backcountry Office at 307 344 2160 for more information.

Matt Nagel
    Visitor Services Office
    PO Box 168
    Yellowstone NP, WY 82190
    307 344 2109
    I hope this helps.

I would venture to guess that if you use a tarp, and in "closed mode" (not porch mode), a bear would view it the same as a tent. But, don't quote me on that or hold me liable if anything unfortunate happens.
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Yes Sir...

Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    Jackson Hole and Cody are worthwhile side trips, Cody museum and the street shows and rodeo are awesome in the evening. Some good caves to trek through right outside of town too. The Tetons are one of my favorite ranges to look at that alone makes any trip to jackson worthwhile for me.
    Absolutely agree. Check out as much of the surrounding country as you can. Obviously in Yellowstone, you'll see Elk, Deer, Bears and Bison, but if your lucky you'll see moose, goats and perhaps wolves.

Living and hunting in Idaho, we have our own opinion of wolves, but it still sends a chill up my spine when I hear them howling in the middle of the night. Makes you realize very quickly that in the wild, man isn't always top of the food chain.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Lots of great hikes in Yellowstone,, If you google "Yellowstone Chat forums" you will find quite a few that will help you out with any questions you have. Same for Tetons, and Glacier, or any Nat. Park for that matter. Teton Crest Trail is awesome hike,,about 35 miles at high elevations. I hope to do that one again, Of course,,the basin of entire Yellowstone is 8000' elevation altitude,,or there abouts so you will have to plan accordingly. Enjoy,,its def. God's country. Grant village campgrounds almost southern center of Yellowstone,,is all trees, even by Yellowstone Lake,,perfect for hammocking. Most all campgrounds are forested and its just a matter of find the perfect site.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast