Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: legality

I spent two weeks in the Yellowstone backcountry last summer. I was the only hanger in the group. Finding tree's of suitable diameter can be a challenge in some of the backcountry sites, but for the most part, it is not a problem. Sometimes you have to choose some interesting hangs. Unfortunately the best trees for the hammocks in each backcountry site happen to be the ones used for bear bags, and you don't want to be near them. . Overall it was a great experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RobinATL; 04-19-2012 at 08:15. Reason: Added Picture

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    My travelling partner and I hung in Yellowstone last June on our Pacific Northwest motor cycle trip ...Our only issue was finding a site in the campgrounds not covered with 2-3 feet of snow.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Most all campgrounds are forested and its just a matter of find the perfect site.
    I disagree with this statement. It is unlikely you will be at a campsite where you can hang in Bridge Bay and Madison. Although they are more forested, Fishing Bridge, Madison, and Canyon have many sites that do not have proper trees for hanging a hammock. I haven't stayed at Grant Village, so can't speak for that one (don't spend as much time on the other end of the park).

The big problem is trying to make sure you are in a campsite with proper tree configurations. Reserving ahead will guarantee a spot, but not necessarily a place to hang. During the open season, all the "first-come" campsites fill up so quickly that you have little to no choice. You have to grab the first open spot you can find.

My recommendation remains, if you want to stay in a campground, bring along a portable stand and be prepared for no trees. Not a big issue as you'll have your vehicle there anyway. If you are going into the backcountry, not a problem to find hanging spots. This is exactly why I developed my portable stand - packs down into a single 1.25" by 60" tube so it is never an issue of room to have it along.
    Last edited by Alamosa; 04-19-2012 at 10:35.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Multi Mat&Sleepbag
    Suspension
    SlapStrap&Neutrino
    I think the webbing is hard on the bear's digestion. Tents with tent rope make a better condiment for bears eating campers. Arrr Arrr

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    WL "Tadpole"
    Suspension
    diy whoopie sling
    Images
    i should've said it earlier, my group is going backcountry. all i know about the trail is we will be out for four days (i think) and we hike down to the lake. does anyone know what trail this might be and if it has sufficient amount of trees

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12