Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images

Dangerbird 60 thoughts...

Ok, my Dangerbird 60 arrived today. My color choices were the black body, with green overcover. First pulling it out of the package you can notice right away that the workmanship is great. Perfect seams, hems....all just great. Papasmurf knows his way around a thread injector, no doubts there!

Ok, so here's a review with my limited time in the rig. I logged about an hour or more laying and messing with set up.

All the options are really neat. The view from inside the hammock with the netting closed is very nice and open, moreso than my Blackbird. One thing I noticed is that you want to pull the zippers down on the netting a small distance before you get in the hammock, otherwise you could have trouble reaching up into the end of the hammock to retrieve them. The head end of the hammock contains the overcover, which you can easily reach up and grab the zippers to pull the cover over you. Getting into the hammock was a little strange for me the first time because I needed to avoid the tie outs, but this was really a non-issue. The hammock seems to lay very nicely, and I will tell you why I say "seems to". I tried setting it up with different suspension angles and what not, and tried every body position I could. I could get comfortable, but not that "ready to sleep" comfortable. More like a nap, or read a good book comfortable. After messing with it for a considerable time, I came to the conclusion that I'm jus too tall for it. I'm 6'-6" tall, about 220 pounds. My body just covers too much of the hammocks length, even on the diagonal, for it to be an effective hammock for me to camp in. I was very upset because this is one SWEET hammock! I love the innovations Randy put into it, just so cool. But with all that being said, it's not for me.

There is a plus side to this though. My fiancée, who has been wanting to try a hammock when we backpack, will love this hammock. She hasn't laid in it yet, but I just know she will. She loves the lay of our ENO DN, and the material (which is the same as this Dangerbird). She is only 5'-3" tall, so I know she is going to crawl into this and just love it. I knew going into this purchase that if the hammock didn't work for me, I would have a really cool hammock to give her

So, she will give it a whirl tomorrow and let me know what she thinks. If for some unknown reason she doesn't like this thing...then watch the for sale forums fellas.

I want to say thanks again to Randy for the ease of ordering and constant updates. It was a pleasure buying from you and wouldn't hesitate again for a minute. Good luck in the future of DreamHammock!

Yukon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Well, that's disappointing news.
    Hoping that your fiancée gets along well with it.

Images
    That is a good honest review, thanks for not pulling any punches...we can all respect that. I am glad that I upgraded mine to the DB 72 now (I am 6' 2") and want that roomy spacious feeling.

I was kinda hoping that you were going to sell it, My wife is already looking at the DB hammocks and thinking that she will want one. She loves the privacy of the extra overcover so she can change in her hammock in complete privacy. So I actually ordered one for her today. So if you don't want yours - PM me and I am sure we can work something out

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Well, that's disappointing news.
    Hoping that your fiancée gets along well with it.
    Please don't take it as anything against your hammock Randy, I love the hammock design. I have had this problem with many gathered end hammocks, my height just doesn't allow me to get the flattest lay. I think that if I had one about a foot longer and wider it would probably work just fine. I wouldn't be able to use the nice Taffeta fabric though, it would just be too heavy for backpacking, which is my main use for hammocks. I might possibly be sending you another build eventually, with some different fabrics and dimensions. I'll give you a moment to breathe though lol

I'm going to give it another whirl tonight and see if I can't find a sweet spot to work for me, because I really want to be able to camp with this thing. If not, I think it will go up for sale. My fiancee' has expressed that she just likes sleeping next to me in a tent too much, so I'm forced to do that when we go out together. Me sleep in a tent again??
    Last edited by Yukon; 04-19-2012 at 06:23.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I think that if I had one about a foot longer and wider it would probably work just fine. I wouldn't be able to use the nice Taffeta fabric though, it would just be too heavy for backpacking, which is my main use for hammocks. I might possibly be sending you another build eventually, with some different fabrics and dimensions. I'll give you a moment to breathe though lol
    cough, cough, DangerBrid 72 cough, cough. 6' wide x 11' long.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    cough, cough, DangerBrid 72 cough, cough. 6' wide x 11' long.

Cheers

Brian
    Yes, I contemplated one. With the Taffeta it wouldn't have been something I wanted to take backpacking because of the weight. It sure would be comfy though!

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    My fiancee' has expressed that she just likes sleeping next to me in a tent too much, so I'm forced to do that when we go out together. Me sleep in a tent again??

Ain't love grand?
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I hear ya on the dimensions. But that's the coolest part about dream hammocks.... The potential for custom work is there. Now that is a luxury.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post

Ain't love grand?
    Tell me bout it. But get this, she tells me to keep the hammock because there are places she wants to camp that we can't use a tent! I about fell over when she said that. I said to her "you have much to learn about all the cool things that come along with hammock camping"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    TENT!

Let's see, new hammock - new fiancee, new hammock - new fiancee, new....

OK, what about stick with the fiancee, but invent a hanging tent
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast