Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As of yesterday, I tried both models. I ended up sending both back. Too small for me (I'm 6'4"). I want an even curvature between my shoulders; I can't sleep in a contorted or considerably uneven position. In my experience, the only way to achieve this position in these hammocks is to lay around 20-30 degrees off center. That takes up a lot of room, too much in my case.

I actually didn't mind the lay in the Explorer deluxe except for the fact that my left shoulder needed about 2" into the mosquito netting in order to get a flat lay. I thought the neck support was nice. I observed many pictures on the net of people lying in this hammock. None of the people's lay went into the mosquito netting. Usually they were covered by fabric, you couldn't see them. To be fair, I have no idea how tall they were. Probably not tall, most people aren't.

As for the Safari Deluxe, I barely fit in it, but I did fit. Plenty of room for my feet but my head was always right next to the mosquito netting no matter how I positioned myself around the sweet spot. I don't want to get bit by bugs when I fall asleep and lean against the netting of a hammock.

The whole bottom entry thing seems problematic if coupled with a 3rd party vendor's UQ too. I don't want to screw around adjusting this or adjusting that in order to make things work. I saw a lot of complaints about this particular issue on the net.
    Last edited by pulsemod; 05-08-2012 at 16:58.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    ccf pad, for now
    Suspension
    WBBB webbing
    pulsemod:
    At 6'4" your 6" taller then I am and from what I read on HH website too tall for all but the Explorer, DJ XL, and safari. As to bottom entry the DJ & DJ xl that I am considering both have zipper opening on side not bottom open
    "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!"
    Charlie Papazian, The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing 3rd edition

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    yep- that off centre lay is what gets you flat. Sad to hear you're too tall for the Hammock you were wanting to buy.

(there are other options out there?)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsemod View Post
    As of yesterday, I tried both models. I ended up sending both back. Too small for me (I'm 6'4"). I want an even curvature between my shoulders; I can't sleep in a contorted or considerably uneven position. In my experience, the only way to achieve this position in these hammocks is to lay around 20-30 degrees off center. That takes up a lot of room, too much in my case.

I actually didn't mind the lay in the Explorer deluxe except for the fact that my left shoulder needed about 2" into the mosquito netting in order to get a flat lay. I thought the neck support was nice. I observed many pictures on the net of people lying in this hammock. None of the people's lay went into the mosquito netting. Usually they were covered by fabric, you couldn't see them. To be fair, I have no idea how tall they were. Probably not tall, most people aren't.

As for the Safari Deluxe, I barely fit in it, but I did fit. Plenty of room for my feet but my head was always right next to the mosquito netting no matter how I positioned myself around the sweet spot. I don't want to get bit by bugs when I fall asleep and lean against the netting of a hammock.

The whole bottom entry thing seems problematic if coupled with a 3rd party vendor's UQ too. I don't want to screw around adjusting this or adjusting that in order to make things work. I saw a lot of complaints about this particular issue on the net.
    Wow, if too big for the Safari, I'm wondering what is next? I am only 6'1"/215 and only fairly broad shouldered, but in the Explorer UL or DJ XL, I have never come close to having my shoulders 2" into the netting. And fagettabout it with the Safari, I am wandering around in there. Of course, my Safari is a No Net, but still it seems obvious the net would be far from me if it was on it. As it was in the DJ XL. Maybe I don't get nearly as diagonal as you?

I actually have plenty of room, without any netting problems at all, far away from me, in my WBBB. But it is not nearly as big as the Safari, certainly not in length.

I ordered a WBBB. I'm willing to try it. If it doesn't work, my only option left is DIY for a tall guy. I'd rather not do that. It's May, I want to camp, not figure out how to make a hammock. Some people can sleep on anything. I'm not one of those people.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Papa Smurf makes hammocks for tall guys, I think?

Although there is a wait time there.

BTW, making a simple hammock is pretty simple- you just need a long piece of fabric (your height + 2 feet either end, I think- a lot of people like 11 or 12 feet of fabric) and then two longish bits of webbing, a quick hem around the fabric and two zip ties.. then of course you need the bugnet (chiffon curtain), tarp (blue poly old style tarp), insulation (CCF pad and your sleeping bag), but it'll get you hanging. (options in parens not the lightest but cheap options that work)

TH
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 05-08-2012 at 21:28.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkale View Post
    anyone had a chance to try out both the DJ and the DJ XL? I plan to buy one or the other this month. I'm 5'10" and 240lb. I am assuming but have no hammock exp. that the longer the hammock the flatter the lay but if my poor back would be happy in the smaller model I'd love the weight and cost savings.
    I have a DJ. I think you can get away with the regular one. I'm an inch shorter and have been as heavy as 240. Not their now, but it was fine when I was.

I love the texture of the material, but barely ever use it these days. I find my WBBB 1.1 DL to be both lighter and a little more comfy! One thing for sure, if you do get the DJ I'd really suggest upgrading to a different fly like the Typhoon or the Hex. I've never used the stock fly once. In fact my BMJ Spinn isn't much heavier for twice the coverage.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    ccf pad, for now
    Suspension
    WBBB webbing
    Thanks for the input Ftroop94. what makes the WBBB 1.1 DL more comfy for you?
    "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!"
    Charlie Papazian, The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing 3rd edition

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkale View Post
    Thanks for the input Ftroop94. what makes the WBBB 1.1 DL more comfy for you?
    It is a little roomier on the inside in my opinion and I like the foot box. Simply put it is easier to find the sweet spot in the BB than the DJ. However, the DJ is a great hammock.

WBBB +
    • Foot box
    • Weight
    • Larger double layer pocket opening if you don't use an UQ
    • Roomier
    • Cost
    • US Made (if that matters to you)

HHDJ +
    • Material

All this is my opinion, and both are great products! If I'd purchased the BB first I'd probably never know about the DJ, so I am glad to have slept in it and have it.

I hope that helps you make an informed decision. Either way you won't go wrong.

If I were asked about my 1.7 SL BB versus my 1.1 DL I would admit I prefer the DL, but still like the SL for weight and pack savings.

~Steve
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    HHUL Explorer Asym.
    Tarp
    I dunno, came w HH
    Insulation
    HHSS & OC
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    For a really flat lay, I found with my HH Expl UL that when I hang it loose (like, ridiculously loose, as in getting out and thinking "man, that's really saggin'", is when I actually laid the flattest. The Ridge Line was tight when I was in it, but not guitar string tight.
    YMMV

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast