DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

2nd Hang Report

Doesn't really count as a "trip" report because I haven't left my woods yet. I aborted my second hang at midnight at 55 degrees. For my first hang at about the same temp. but with more wind, I slept in sweatpants and shirt, smartwool socks and hat and used my old pilates mat, old wally world synthetic sleeping bag to keep warm and was fine. Decided to try lightening it up and do without the sleeping bag last night. Slept in fleece pants and top with high neck on it, smartwool socks and used the mat and a fleece blanket. Started out with just the mat under me and the blanket over me. Too cold underneath. Because the mat is too long, I was able to double it over under at my shoulders, which seemed to be my cold spot even though I was completely on the pad. Still too cold. Then put some of the fleece blanket under me and some over me. Still too cold underneath. Wished I had my hat, but liked the high neck on the fleece shirt. I forgot a garbage bag or something to put my feet on when I had to stand up and rearrange everything after I had tied out my shoes so had to spend time picking leaves off of my socks. I think my fleece blanket would have been fine on top, so I’ll try tonight with the pad and sleeping bag under me and the fleece blanket over. Having great fun tinkering and playing.

Hammock
    HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH
    Just starting to fiddle here too so it'll be interesting to see how your next hang goes. It got down to 42 for my first and this weekend we have rain and a low of 50 in the forecast so that'll be my second hang. The first got cool using a CCF pad and 20 degree bag with a long sleeve top and bottoms but no socks. With the rain coming more attention with be paid to the tarp set up next time. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Third hang went well. Added my hat to my fleece clothing and smartwool socks, changed out my mat for a reflective windshield screen that I found at Goodwill, and used one layer of my sleeping bag under me. Zipped up some of the foot end of the bag to make a place to keep my feet warm and kind of bunched the sides up around me. This nest kept me toasty. Sometime later in the night I pulled a little of the bag up over me. Hung the fleece blanket inside on the ridgeline at the foot so I could get it, but didn't use it. The screen seemed to work as well as my mat and is much lighter. I also got better at grabbing the edge of the screen before I moved around to keep it where I wanted it. Got up at 6:00 am only because I had to pee. Did not want to leave the hammock! It was 58 degrees when I got up. Most of my camping will be done in warmer weather, but one place I like to go in NC, Mile High Campground, off the Blue Ridge Parkway between Cherokee and Maggie Valley, gets windy and cold at night, even in summer. I think I could go to a lower temp. if I put both layers of the sleeping bag under me.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Congrats GP. Glad to see that your finding your way into staying cozy in the hammock. This whole thing is about experimentation. Even down here in sunny Florida we have to contend with temps down into the 20's. Thought my feet would never get warm at the 2nd Annual Florida Hang last Jan., I'll be ready next year.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    When you say fleece are you saying cotton fleece as in most sweat pants or PET fleece as in most outdoor gear oriented clothing? If it is cotton fleece it will pick up moisture from your body and be cold. Lose the cotton. Silk, wool, PET, polypropylene will all keep you significantly warmer because they are hydrophobic so they do not pick up moisture. Polyester is cheaper than the rest, is hydrophilic like cotton but is treated to be hydrophobic as part of the manufacturing process. Be wary of too good a deal on polyester as it may not be properly treated. (I have some). Also watch blends as companies like Duofold blend cotton in for skin feel but it has the same problem of putting a cold layer on your skin.
    Free advice, worth every cent paid. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Thanks for the advice. These were poly fleece intended for outdoor use, not cotton. The first night I used cotton sweat pants because that was what was clean.

• + New Posts