Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How accurate is Golite's down quilt ratings?

Hey guys, looking at getting a 1+ season quilt from golite, Im just wondering if anyone could chime in on how accurate the rating of 40 degrees Fahrenheit is? Cheers.
    PS- Any un-obvious tips on pushing the rating of it would help!

Images
    my 20 degree works great. been to 16 with it, but everybody is different.
    it should perform as well as a good 40 degree of another brand.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I think Go Lite is more than sufficient with their temp ratings..I have a 40 degree down quilt of theirs and its super warm. It also has a nice baffling system and quite filled with down. Looks like a 20 degree model to me and works way below 40.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Cheers guys! I expect the LOWEST nights where I hike to be approx 30 degrees and roughly 45 degree nights most hikes.
    I'm really glad that they baffled the quilts instead of sewing them through, much more efficient.

Images
    A couple of years back, there was some discussion around as to if the Ultra 20 TQ was quite up to that rating or not. It was rated for 2.5" single layer loft- or maybe it was rated to 5" if you had it set up double layer like a sleeping bag. But some folks seemed to think that rating- for both loft and temp- was at least a bit optimistic.

I got one on sale, and it is what I have mostly used for a few years. I have measured the loft a few times, which is not always east to do accurately, and it always seemed to me that it meets its specs. Some places it is a bit less than spec and some spots a bit over, so I guess it averages out to as specified. It is certainly not what I would call "overstuffed". My guess has always been that I might call it more like 25F than 20.

Then again, I think that after that time, I was hearing that the quilts were rated more conservatively and that people were reporting that their bags were easily as specified. But I have no new products to go by.

EDIT: I see that they now have a 3 season quilt rated to 20F. It looks just like my Ultra 20. But I notice that the long version weighs 26 oz. Mine (long version) weighs more like 21 oz. I don't see any length/width specs for the newer one. But if it is otherwise the same size and materials, then there must be a lot more down in the new one. Which would make me think that it will EASILY reach it's 20F rating and probably actually have more than 2.5" single layer loft. Or at least be way more "overstuffed" or have a more dense fill with fewer possible thin spots. If all that extra weight is from more down, that is going to be one warm quilt.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-20-2012 at 08:53.

Images
    Yep, no doubt about it: the quilt they are now calling 1+ season- or 40F rating- appears to be about the same as my Ultra 20 and weighs 21 oz, same as mu 20F. (They don't seem to give loft ratings anymore)

So, if this is the quilt you are considering, I would say they are now way conservative on their ratings and this would easily take me way below 40F.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yep, no doubt about it: the quilt they are now calling 1+ season- or 40F rating- appears to be about the same as my Ultra 20 and weighs 21 oz, same as mu 20F. (They don't seem to give loft ratings anymore)

So, if this is the quilt you are considering, I would say they are now way conservative on their ratings and this would easily take me way below 40F.
    Yep, the new quilts are even better. I just had some of my quilts out,....

The current 1 season down in long 247 grams (8.71 ounces) of 800 fill.

My older Ultra 20 in long 297 grams (10.47 ounces) of 800 fill.

I just ordered a new 3 season, as I have been hearing the new ones have more down. I loved the old one, and a few more ounces would only make it better. So I'll know more when I see the tag on the current 3 season. I have a hunch the old Ultra 20 falls in between the two current quilts. Side by side, my older Ultra 20 does have more loft than the new 1 season.
    Also the newer Pertex footbox material seems beefier and maybe more water resistant.
    Plus with a sewn footbox, nice storage bag, stuff sack, what's not to like at these prices.
    Last edited by Caribou Bentspoke; 04-20-2012 at 14:28. Reason: more info

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Average the error

"I have measured the loft a few times, which is not always easy to do accurately, and it always seemed to me that it meets its specs."

No, not easy. But best is to fluff well, then fold over gently as in laying meringue, as many times -- certainly 4 --as possible. Let rest several seconds, and measure the height. Divide by the number of layers, which averages out the error of measurement.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-20-2012 at 23:15.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I used my 1+ down quilt last weekend on a trip and got to freezing with it. The quilt has great loft for its rating and feel it's all I need to do most trips. The few times that I need to go colder I use it over a 40 deg montbell super spiral and get into the twenties. Good quality for the money if you can get it on sale.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I agree with BB58, my older Ultra20 is now my mild weather quilt. The newer ones seem more substantial based on weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast