Tarp
    WB Supper Fly.
    Insulation
    CCF,UGQ 20 Zepplin
    Suspension
    Buckles on webbing
    Images

Bag as UQ?

I see Go-lite has there semi-rectangular bags on sale and thought.....inexpensive UQ. Seen posts about sleeping bags being adapted and that is what makes me ask this question.
    Just getting started with hammocking and would like to keep the cost down a bit until I know for sure that this is for me.
    If hammocking is for me, eventuality would upgrade to a UQ made by one of the vendors I see so often praised here on HF.
    Thanks for any input.
    “Hmmm…lets go by foot and those blisters are so fun and there’s nothing like hypothermia, dehydration and other enjoyable things that make you cool.”

Roni from Israel.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Me personally have not used a sleeping bag moded as an UQ. However IMHO if you are going to buy a sleeping bag and mod it, you might as well just buy an UQ from one of the fine vendors here on HF. UQ's from reputable vendors really hold their value well as long as they are taken care of properly. So if you find you do not like hammocking you could easily sell your UQ for IMHO only a little loss of the value you paid. If you were to buy a sleeping bag and mod it. I would think (dont know for fact) that the resell value would not be as high and you would actually take a greater loss of monetary value. So IMHO if its one or the other and you have the $ to buy an UQ, I'd say go for the UQ. Or if you really want a chance to sleep in your hammock for a few night before you purchase and UQ. I'd say get a CCF pad, sleep in your hammock a few night. And report bacck
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you want to save money check out the DIY PLUQ threads. Cheaper than a sleeping bag and many find them to be good down to the 30s.

No-Sew PLUQ

Sew-'em-Up PLUQ
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Me personally have not used a sleeping bag moded as an UQ. However IMHO if you are going to buy a sleeping bag and mod it, you might as well just buy an UQ from one of the fine vendors here on HF. UQ's from reputable vendors really hold their value well as long as they are taken care of properly. So if you find you do not like hammocking you could easily sell your UQ for IMHO only a little loss of the value you paid. If you were to buy a sleeping bag and mod it. I would think (dont know for fact) that the resell value would not be as high and you would actually take a greater loss of monetary value. So IMHO if its one or the other and you have the $ to buy an UQ, I'd say go for the UQ. Or if you really want a chance to sleep in your hammock for a few night before you purchase and UQ. I'd say get a CCF pad, sleep in your hammock a few night. And report bacck
    Sound advice from LRR. I started with and still use CCF pads and
    also use my sleeping bag as an inexpensive peapod. The sleeping bag
    peapod works fairly well until the temperatures drop then I get cold because
    it is difficult to seal the air gaps at the both ends of the bag. I use an older
    model Kelty bag which comes with a zippered foot box so no modifications
    were necessary.

I've also bought a couple of used down bags from ebay with the intention of
    cutting up and making my own underquilts. They still sit on the shelf in the
    basement and will probably go back on ebay.

If I would have just bought quilts to begin with I probably would have saved
    money. And like LRR said, the quilts hold their value and can easily be sold at
    this site.

So here I am, still living with underquilt envy.

If all else fails, have fun!
    X-Lem

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB 1.7 DL.
    Tarp
    WB Supper Fly.
    Insulation
    CCF,UGQ 20 Zepplin
    Suspension
    Buckles on webbing
    Images
    The PLUQ looks interesting, but will probably just go with LRR's advice and just buy a UQ. For now just get by with CCF and a 40 deg. bag. Don't plan on getting out on an overnighter for a couple of weeks yet. Funds are kind of taped out right now with a WBBB and a super fly on order and still need to pick up some misc. do-dads yet also.

Thank you all for the advice.
    “Hmmm…lets go by foot and those blisters are so fun and there’s nothing like hypothermia, dehydration and other enjoyable things that make you cool.”

Roni from Israel.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The PLUQ looks interesting, but will probably just go with LRR's advice and just buy a UQ. For now just get by with CCF and a 40 deg. bag. Don't plan on getting out on an overnighter for a couple of weeks yet. Funds are kind of taped out right now with a WBBB and a super fly on order and still need to pick up some misc. do-dads yet also.

Thank you all for the advice.
    Completely understand tight funds. I think some times others forget that when someone new is starting out, just how expensive it can be. Especially if your taking care of more than one person at a time. PLUQ do work. We used for almost a year. To get below 55/60 in temps you do have to take that system and modify it more. Additional insulation, added to the inside or underneath up against the hammock, and a hammock sock all help and take you lower more comfortably. Personally, I'm glad I choose the no sew version as I was able to change it up or down as needed. Also, now that I'll be getting ready to make our down UQ, I'll have these poncho liners to use for something else, such as over cover or what ever, since they were not destroyed. JMHO and our personal experience.

• + New Posts