Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this

UQ recommendations for BIAS WW

So I'm planning to get a 10' Butt in a Sling Weight Weenie for my wife (who is 5 feet tall), once they finish developing its bug net.

Which UQ would you recommend? Expected temps are 40 to 70 F, but it should feel warm and cozy down to 30 F. We have a nice and warm Speer TopBlanket.

MM Baby Orca is not warm enough. The AHE Jarbridge is very affordable and seems decent, but I think it's worth it to order down right away unless someone convinces me otherwise; it's not often that we order things from the US...
    So, HG Phoenix 20? Te-Wa Freeze? WB Yeti? FlameThrower? Something else?

The above 4 are all about the same price. Since they're 3/4, maybe I should go with the longest one so it covers her as much as possible.

It would be great to hear what everyone uses for their BIAS.
    Last edited by gaidal; 04-21-2012 at 05:28.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    People like all different UQ's for all different reason. Each UQ you mentioned are all great products however personally I have always been bias towards HG UQ either the phoenix or the incubator. My wife is 4 ft 11in and 3/4 tall and she loves the HG phoenix. She sleep curled up in the hammock (fetal position) so the phoenix does a more then an adequate job at covering her from head to toe. She is a cold sleeper and is comfortable in a 40 rated phoenix night time lows wont go below fifty degrees (which she still considers cold). So if you are expecting temps between the 40's to 70's range IMHO a 40 rated Phoenix would be just fine and you can always add clothing to supplement if need be. Another option would also be adding an extra 1/2oz to 1oz of down to the quilt to boost it rating.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Thank you, that helps. I'm trying to figure out whether to get a 20F or 40F with overfill, if we might sometimes want to go out at 30F. Probably the 20F one... Or is it unnecessary weight? Hmm...

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    Thank you, that helps. I'm trying to figure out whether to get a 20F or 40F with overfill, if we might sometimes want to go out at 30F. Probably the 20F one... Or is it unnecessary weight? Hmm...
    40 rated Phoenix is listed at 11.7 oz and with one ounce over fill it'd be 12.7

20 rated Phoenix is listed at 16.7 oz

I have been able to push my Hammock Gear quilts a solid 5-8 degrees below rating however my wife can not. She is a cold sleeper. The ratings are much truer for her then they are for me. Again it just depends on weather or not the person using the quilts are a cold or hot sleeper and how much insulation (clothing) you are wearing. And are you getting one for you and one for you wife. If so you could always get one 20 rated and one 40 rated and take it from their.

Good luck on your search for your warm comfy UQ.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    have you checked out UGQ's, Paul can do custom work so if you're looking to save some weight but also need a different temperature rating i'm sure you could work something out with him.

http://undergroundquilts.com/
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    20F or 40F would entirely depend on whether or not your wife would be considered a cold sleeper. Adding extra down to a quilt has a diminishing return as it is loft that determines the temperature rating. One other thing to remember, it is easier to vent a quilt that is too warm than it is to get more warmth from a quilt that is too cold.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    WB yeti all year round! Compact small and it took me to nine degrees!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    She hasn't been cold outdoors yet but I'd say she's a cold sleeper, at least she uses twice as many quilts as me indoors.
    No I'm only getting one for her this time, so I'm leaning towards a 20F rated one if we go with the Phoenix route.

Will check out UGQ now.

Are there any differences I should know about between the Phoenix, Yeti et c? Because they all seem like fantastic products.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    She hasn't been cold outdoors yet but I'd say she's a cold sleeper, at least she uses twice as many quilts as me indoors.
    No I'm only getting one for her this time, so I'm leaning towards a 20F rated one if we go with the Phoenix route.

Will check out UGQ now.

Are there any differences I should know about between the Phoenix, Yeti et c? Because they all seem like fantastic products.
    I just noticed you're in Sweden. I would also checkout ukhammocks.com. They have quilt offerings that may be suitable for you. I would also think shipping and import taxes would be more favourable as they are Europe based.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Thanks, I checked it out and it seems like it's cheaper to order from the US, if ordering several items. :/
    Will have a relative try my gear for me before sending here, so it's "used" and can hopefully avoid taxes.

• + New Posts