Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO Hammock problem

Sorry to report a problem with the ENO Hammocks I purchased. First let me say I really like the hammock, but there is a hazard that must be addressed. The ones i have purchased, three, had what I would call defective knots in the end ropes. I discovered this when one of the hammocks fell under my weight. Not hurt, but if it occurs at wrong time, place, person there could be injury. I have attached photos showing the problem. They have used a simple overhand knot to tie the end ropes to which a caribiner is attached. An overhand knot will and did slip, allowing it to completely fail and the hammock to fall. I strongly encourage you to double check this knot on your ENO. I have notified the manufacturer and the cpsc. The simple fix is to just retie the knot using a figure 8 or double fisherman's knot or something else that will tighten down on itself. I hope that ENO will address this hazard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmatthews View Post
    Sorry to report a problem with the ENO Hammocks I purchased. First let me say I really like the hammock, but there is a hazard that must be addressed. The ones i have purchased, three, had what I would call defective knots in the end ropes. I discovered this when one of the hammocks fell under my weight. Not hurt, but if it occurs at wrong time, place, person there could be injury. I have attached photos showing the problem. They have used a simple overhand knot to tie the end ropes to which a caribiner is attached. An overhand knot will and did slip, allowing it to completely fail and the hammock to fall. I strongly encourage you to double check this knot on your ENO. I have notified the manufacturer and the cpsc. The simple fix is to just retie the knot using a figure 8 or double fisherman's knot or something else that will tighten down on itself. I hope that ENO will address this hazard.
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I've had nothing but good hanging with mine. You can also replace the ropes on the end fairly straight forward with either whoopie slings directly or continuous loops of amsteel blue. Check out this thread, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42403. I've replaced the stock ropes on mine with continuous loops and SMC descender rings.
    Last edited by Arothian; 04-21-2012 at 08:01. Reason: Added link

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks
    Tarp
    Hg Cf hex and OMW
    Insulation
    Revolt & RevX T/Q
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    I had the same problem with the stock cord included. Luckily it didn't happened to me but a buddy of mine. I was showing him my hammock setup at that time and he asked to get in the hammock. As he sat down and turned to lay on his back. Crack he fell so hard on the ground and his head was inches from a rock sticking out the ground. That's is why I have whoopie sling in there place to fix that problem.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Grand Trunks are the same way. I refused to let my GF's 10yo hang in the Ultralight I bought him until I had retied the knots, at least. I used a water knot which has always held up well for me in this application.

That reminds me I have a set of whoopies around someplace that were meant for his hammock.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

thanks for the positive replies. sorry to hear others have had problems too. i talked to the manufacturer and they could not have been nicer. they agreed that the overhand knot should not be used. hopefully their quality control will get the problem fixed. he told me they sell hundreds of thousands. thats a lot of potential risk.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Mine came with Two biners Fed through the hammock. i removed them and Made Two whoopie's.. threaded them through using the Loop back on itself, to secure it.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Whoopies should be a mandatory modification/upgrade for ENO hammocks. I switched mine out before I ever got in it.

Ellis

Hammock
    1.1 Dbl WBBB/Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I would check all new ones that you buy. I manage an outdoor store and I check each hammock that comes in to make sure the nots are good. Only had a few I've sent back, but it only takes one to hurt someone.
    Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere

Mā te Atua me te wāhi ngaro tātou e tiaki e manaaki

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Yeah, thats pretty much how mine came. The stock rope and biners were the first to go on mine, as with the majority of the folks you find on this forum. Mine came apart too easily when I undid the rope, a little "too easy" if you knowhatimean.

Most manufacturing process have a zero waste goal, so the knot "tyer?" probably had a 12" section of rope to work with and little leverage to form a good bight on the inner and outer parts of the knot.

In my eyes, either made in the USA or by some 10 year old in Cambodia, there's no excuse, but I'm glad you spoke up about it. I'm sure theres a few ENO employees lurking about, perhaps they'd get the "hey let's put whoopie slings on them" message. But I'm sure they have no say in the fab process and current method is mandated by attorneys... The stock rope is rated for more than enough for their needs.

We'll see...

Ok I'm done now...
    Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I had the same knots on my dn. I did think they came apart " a little too easy " also. But fortunatly they didnt fail before i replaced them with whoopies.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast