Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

New guy, new XLC system, my first hang.

I’ve only really overnighted in one other hammock but was convinced I needed good hammock gear after seeing a system deployed. The other hammock I used(for trial, borrowed from a friend) was an old canvas military style with a big heavy cotton underquilt and my mummy bag. I enjoyed it and ordered the War Bonnet Blackbird XLC, winter Wookie, 3 season mamba, mamajama tarp and a bunch of gadgets from other vendors. War Bonnet stated a 3 week lead time, but I got my gear on day 10. Spent half the day tinkering with it all, and took a nap in the sun which was fabulous.

Everything looks well made and functioned properly. I climbed in bed at 9, thinking I would play on my iPad a while but my arms, fingers mostly, were freezing so I just snuggled in to sleep. The most amazing thing for me is the underquilt. The whole reason I didn’t hammock camp was because I’ve tried before and froze my bottom side, in a cot as well, but the Wookie exceeded expectations. Warmest part was my back, which to me is mind blowing. It’s true how fast down gets warm as well, very nice. No knock on the mamba, but my mummy bag is just as warm, it is hi quality also just old, and I wanted to try the quilt style in the hammock...glad I did.

Low of 34*, humidity 95%, slight breeze, partly cloudy. I wore Minus 33 base layer, white cotton socks, sweat pants, a non hooded sweatshirt and cotton beanie. I was plenty warm. Tossed and turned a lot especially sense I wasn’t tired. Hammock felt tight along the middle, may need to adjust some. Only cool spots were when I let a draft in and where a bucket was sitting too close to my hang and compressed the Wookie. I thought it was slipping out of place, but as soon as the bucket wasn’t compressing the quilt, the spot warmed up. Shows how important that loft is.

My hang trees are 33’ apart...not ideal especially for a new hanger, but I got my lines way up the trees to get my angle. I’m going to set a post today To shorten the distance and Help me find the sweet spot. I was surprised things weren’t wetter from condensation in the morning, the tarp was soaked but everything underneath was good. The mamba quilt and hammock fabric are very slippery on each other, made for an awkward hammock entry the first time climbing in.

The direction I was laying and porching my tarp didn’t allow for me to use the shelf in the hammock. I stayed half unzipped all night, no bugs. Where I’m hanging is on the banks of a river still covered in sediments associated with the Mt St Helens eruption back in 1980, so there’s lots of fine dust(ash). My mamajama tarp came folded in half, really stuck together. Once deployed the bottom was still a little sticky and quickly collected that dust.

All in all I’m happy with my purchase. Still need to get my hang dialed in and tinker with my suspension but I’m enjoying it. Feel very fortunate to be able to try things at my own place in a camp like setting. Probably end up buying more gear too. I like playing with my iPad before bed, so my arms get exposed...seen a couple videos where people were wearing these down jacket sleeves on their arms....might have to try some....maybe a pillow too....and a way to hang my iPad off the ridge line...hmmm.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Congratulations. You got yourself some great kit from Warbonnet. The XLC is a superb hammock, especially its latest generation.

The XLC has some idiosyncrasies related to its shape and construction that must be noted to get the most comfortable hang.

First, most XLC hangers find they must respect its need for a shallower-than-typical hang angle of approximately 25 degrees, but it is possible to go too shallow, especially on an 11-yard hang. At 25 degrees you need to get you anchor points up in the trees about 10'4", so if yours weren't quite that high, that may be what contributed to some of the tightness you felt down the middle of your hammock.

Second, make sure your XLC's foot end is about 12" (plus or minus 6") above your head end. The XLC is designed for the occupant's weight and position to be biased toward the head end. When you're in the right spot and at the right angle, your head/shoulder are right in between the net tie-outs near the sewn-on logo patch, and your feet are pointed straight toward the apex of the footbox triangle.

Finally, a small neck pillow can do wonders for a good night's sleep in your hammock.

Enjoy your new XLC!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-Three-Nights
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Glad you enjoyed everything! We went whole hog on getting good gear right out of the gate like you. We have always been that way with tents and sleeping bags and all that. If it rains, I wanna know I am going to be warm and DRY! So we went right for the WBBB's and I got the XLC as I am taller. Ended up selling a couple items I had here in my safe to get us all Wooki's too. They are so easy to set up!! I have a Scandinavian Wooki now too and it is amazing. Looking forward to next winter when I can hang again in subzero temps again. I think we are past that here in Maine now, hopefully. First though I am anxious for porch mode tarp deployment!!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Pleeeze don't let Ktsap know your first hang was an 11yarder, or we will all be subject to a responding round of 12yard hangs.

I'm sure you will get it all dialed in when you are able to locate some closer anchors to tweak your settings. The WBBB XLC is a fine hammock. I use the self like the WBRR saddle bag if I don't have the tie outs stretched and anchored, e.g. when sleeping inside.

ahhh, that was suppose to be shelf not self.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 03-22-2018 at 09:28.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Pleeeze don't let Ktsap know your first hang was an 11yarder, or we will all be subject to a responding round of 12yard hangs.
    LOL, no, I fold!
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Images
    The spot I really wanted to hang....trees were 50’ apart. I don’t have a tall enough ladder for that. Night #2... low temp 35* f., light wind with gusts, all night rain....still raining. I slept in the same type clothes, extra heavy beanie though. Ended up wishing I used the lighter beanie again because I got hot a few times and removed it, but my head is near shaved so I couldn’t keep it off long. I think my discomfort the first night was because I didn’t use the foot area enough. I layed comfortably last night but would pull my feet in now and then to let the Wookie cook them then stuff’em Back out the foot box. I’ll wear heavier socks next time, only had cheap cotton ones on and maybe invest in a small pad to put out in the foot box.

The big difference last night, besides nonstop rain, was I put on the top cover and underquilt protector zipped together like a sock. Really liked it. First night I couldn’t keep my arms out or they would freeze, but last night I was able to watch some videos and play around on my iPad comfortably with arms exposed...even slept with my arm up over my head as a pillow for a while. The Wookie, which again is amazing, was easily adjustable in the cocoon, the shelf super handy and the tie outs really increased the space inside. Not sure if it just cut the draft or if it was actually warmer but it worked for me. Wind was blowing from my head to my feet and the vents kept air moving over me all night, you can really feel it, which was a good thing because I ate chili dogs for dinner and there was also no condensation in the morning. Every thing was very dry under the tarp, still is, accept at one point a heavy gust of wind pushed my tarp against my hammock and it was much like being licked by a dog.

One suggestion...I love this setup, as I’ve said, my property has lots of fine ash and you wouldn’t believe how far it splashes, 2’ up all my walls is a mud line, so this cocoon helps keep it all clean but....I strongly suggest airing out or cleaning these covers before use. The factory smell is very unpleasant, and didn’t go away unlike my chili dog farts, so if anyone has a suggestion for me on cleaning these pieces it would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    I like mt St. Helens. The ask can reap havoc on zippers. Also the height of foot end higher. That is when it’s loaded, not just set that way because it will sink lower once you load it. It’s a good idea to have your foot end closer to the tree and when you get in your weight (depending) will do the unbalancing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Very nice gear.

Images
    4/5 nights or 5/6 I’ve slept in the hammock. All but one night sense I got her. Cold, wet and windy most of the time, but I was dry and warm in the hammock. I’m still blown away how much heat an underquilt produces. The mamba top quilt I struggle with still. It’s just so dang slick, I cant’t tell where I’m at sometimes or where it’s going, most of the time only one foot ends up inside the bag...learning curve I suppose. The funky smell is gone, replaced by the smell of bonfire smoke (I’m plenty far away from fire to not get sparks though). The top quilt does the job for me, I have the 3 season, almost wonder sometimes if I should of gotten the winter model...only because the winter Wookie is so impressive. Temps have been low to mid 30’s every night and when I’m just hangin out, not tucked in, I think the 0* topquilt might have been more fun. Wonder what the difference is between the 3 season and winter models, just the amount of fill? Can my 3 season be modified to make it a 0* model? Probably expensive, Maybe I should ask war bonnet.

As you probably know, the blackbird comes with a stuff sack that works like a tarpskin kinda. Curious if anybody uses a larger version of the hammock sack and pushes quilts, hammock and all into one bag? Today is the first day I’ve taken it down, but seems like that might be handy instead of individual sacks for the quilts? This has been lots of fun so far thanks for the help.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlitz View Post
    4/5 nights or 5/6 I’ve slept in the hammock. All but one night sense I got her. Cold, wet and windy most of the time, but I was dry and warm in the hammock. I’m still blown away how much heat an underquilt produces. The mamba top quilt I struggle with still. It’s just so dang slick, I cant’t tell where I’m at sometimes or where it’s going, most of the time only one foot ends up inside the bag...learning curve I suppose. The funky smell is gone, replaced by the smell of bonfire smoke (I’m plenty far away from fire to not get sparks though). The top quilt does the job for me, I have the 3 season, almost wonder sometimes if I should of gotten the winter model...only because the winter Wookie is so impressive. Temps have been low to mid 30’s every night and when I’m just hangin out, not tucked in, I think the 0* topquilt might have been more fun. Wonder what the difference is between the 3 season and winter models, just the amount of fill? Can my 3 season be modified to make it a 0* model? Probably expensive, Maybe I should ask war bonnet.

As you probably know, the blackbird comes with a stuff sack that works like a tarpskin kinda. Curious if anybody uses a larger version of the hammock sack and pushes quilts, hammock and all into one bag? Today is the first day I’ve taken it down, but seems like that might be handy instead of individual sacks for the quilts? This has been lots of fun so far thanks for the help.
    You might want to look at the Slug.......https://wildernesslogics.com/THE-LAZ...-Lazy-Slug.htm

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast