Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Protect tree from Zing-It

The 1.75 zing-it and tarp flyz setup I used on my BMJ tarp worked great, but it's really tight and I'm worried about damaging the same tree after repeated use. Do you see any issues with putting a loop of 1" webbing around the tree (slightly larger than diameter of tree) then just running the zing-it thru that? Better, easy options?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I'm interested in responses to this. I was thinking of converting my zing-it to 3/4 inch webbing with a buckle on my tarp. I also thought about a marlin spike hitch on webbing with a fixed eye spliced on the zing it and then to the tarp with my figure 9's or soon the new dutch devices. I am going to play with this during the new season. I really draw mine up tight and zing-it I think has potential to damage trees.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I can see where using it in the same spot on the Same tree could cause issues in the long term... though I bet the damage would be cosmetic given the tree could heal between hangings.

If you are worried about it, why not make a tree strap? I would bet 7/8" grosgrain would be strong enough and very light.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Images
    you could use tree wrap on that spot! http://www.amazon.com/Jobes-5230P-Tr...ef=pd_sim_lg_1 there are many kinds.

or this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/39...lth_tapes.html
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Just put some trail sticks under the line to keep the pressure off the tree. I don't do this as routine but have seen it done. It works well.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Just put some trail sticks under the line to keep the pressure off the tree. I don't do this as routine but have seen it done. It works well.
    Nice and easy, I like it!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    If you are worried about it, why not make a tree strap? I would bet 7/8" grosgrain would be strong enough and very light.
    I fully agree with John's solution if you want a tree strap for your tarp. Probably even 1/2" wide grossgain would do the trick.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I do have some grosgrain laying around, I'll give that a shot too.

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby

Easy solution?

Perhaps stringing the Zing-it thru a length of surgical tubing would be a solution? The tubing would act as a cushion, thus preventing the line from digging in and causing damage. Just a thought?
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I used to think I needed to cinch the ridgeline tight and straight between trees and this does indeed cause a sawing action on the tree. However, I now prefer set the tie-out points as high on the tree as possible, then let the ridgeline sag to it's lowest point that I might possibly need it. Then I raise or lower the tarp to my desired height with the prussiks without changing the tie-out points. There's no tension to speak of. The tension is gained when the guy lines are tightened. This can eliminate all of the sawing action and most of the scuffing of the bark plus give you the flexibility to change the height of your tarp quickly if the weather changes.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast