DDHammock Frontline
    Tarp
    DDTarp
    Insulation
    DDUnderquilt
    Suspension
    modified DDTape

Frontline

I have a Frontline myself also, because I am a bit of a "wet sleeper".
    The Travel is nice, but if I want to use it as a bivy, I can use the tarp under me for water protection.
    Regarding size, I am the 6'5" at 120kg and I have no problems sleeping in it.

Regards,
    Repelsteel

ill take it. im new to hammock camping and if you dont want it send it my way.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    ah man-i got sucked into this post again-like a car wreck where you can't look away-i just keep reading

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    A Doss Bag
    Suspension
    Say what!! lol

A Noobs Humble Opinion on his new DD Hammock (im sooooo tired now) :(

Well now, that was all quite scary reading for me i must say.

I`m new hear and i have never ever had or owned a hammock in my entire 30 years of backpacking.
    In fact, i know precious little about hammocking, i would say i know just enough to be dangerous.
    So i fully recognise that my following comments may well be construed as from a slightly skewed or somewhat irrelevent perspective, i.e "what do you know - shut up", and maybe that is true. I am however, fully capable of (just as the next person is), deciding whether or not a piece of equipment is structurally sound or not, and capable of giving me a good nights sleep.

That said, i read all the postings here and became very, very alarmed and concerned at the possibility that my ignorance had led me to purchase
    a piece of kit that was completely substandard, particularly because i did not purchase my hammock directly from DD Hammocks simply because i found it
    much cheaper on another website.

I have had my DD 2010 Travel Hammock all of a fortnight and it has not been out of the bag until now. (2.30am that is and it`s 3.35am now as i write this).
    After reading what was said about DD Hammocks i immediately cleared the living room floor and opened it all out.
    I meticulously went over every single stitch line and the zippers. i then put it under tension by tying it from one window handle to another and placing it under as much tension as i dared. i then proceeded to stretch the mosquito netting out from light fittings and then inspected it all thoughrily.
    With a pair of pliers, i tugged every loop on the netting quite abruptly (but not viciously - i dont want to damage it you understand), and everything if absolutely fine. All the stitching is immaculate and theres no frays or run-offs or anywhere.

Still very much alarmed at what i just read, i decided to haul it into the back garden and strap in to the fence so that i may actually climb in a hammock for the first time ever. Maybe not a wise thing to do when your a complete noob like me, its pitch dark, and theres the thought of you falling through it because you`ve been told its defective. So, me being me, i tied it up as safe as i could possibly think of (dont ask me what kind of knot - i havent got a clue, but they took some getting out i can tell you. I then very gingerly sat on it (half expecting the fence to collapse).
    The fence stayed put, so i gently bounced up and down on it and that was ok (i only said bounced because everyone will understand that, but really i "sossed" up and down on it. I apologise if anyone outside the UK does not understand that word but i cannot think of an adequate substitute for it, sorry). I then lay on it and stretched out. Im 5` 7" and around 13 stone give or take a couple of pounds either way, and, well i loved it frankly.
    Like i said at the beginning, i may be construed as bias as this is my very first ever hammock experience (not the way i had planned it nor wanted it i must say), but nevertheless, i found it very comfortable and more than spacious for my needs. I usually have difficulty sleeping in any case as i have had several major heart operations since age 25, the most recent being last autumn. As a result, your body takes many many months to put itelf right from aches and pains and muscle spasms etc from being opened up.
    (im sure anyone who has had this knows precisely what i am on about here). and although very cold (i wasnt planning on any of this you understand, i was scared into it), i was perfectly happy and content rocking away side to side there. (Im gonna really like hammocking people!!).
    i was very, very comfortable. in fact and found my DD hammock to have more than enough space for my height. Anyway, getting rather chilly (its a bit cold tonight here), i took it back in the house and once again inspected all
    the stress points very carefully.

Again, this is only my opinion for what its worth, i found nothing untoward and everything in perfect condition. (though i agree that the tree straps could be better quality and have a rain drip off fitted as standard).
    I just wish to say that personally, i find my DD Hammock in perfect structural condition and very very comfortable and well worth the money and extremely well made.
    I shall soon be purchasing a bigger tarp than the one i have now and i shall be more than happy to be buying it from DD Hammocks.

I will, if i feel the situation warrants it, let you know if i find their customer service to be wanting in any way.
    But i hope its not. In fact, from what i have seen so far, i suspect i will have no reason at all to engage them in any form of dialogue as i find their product to be excellent.

All in all, i am overjoyed with my DD Hammock and i am more than happy to recommed them and their products to anyone, as i feel i have recieved excellent value for money.

Its now 4am, im very tired, very cold but content, and so im off to my real bed now.

Kind Regards to all

Ian

(ps, excuse any and all spelling mistakes, i really am very tired here)
    goodnight all

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Just finished my first read of this thread and I must say I'm sure glad I bought a DD Frontline BEFORE I read it.
    Couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. Design I love, great quality, and a very competitive price all go toward making it my #1 hammock.

After re-reading several comments I realized this was a member complaining because a factory second had a few flaws. That's why it was sold as a second, it wasn't perfect.

My comment is that people should think long & hard before making a negative post.
    It's a shame, but one negative comment or opinion seems to negate a hundred positive comments or opinions in our society. We read one post saying it's junk and we all to often let that one comment stick in our mind and overrule all the people who are 100% satisfied with the product.

I just want to say if you're new to hammocking and considering a DD, read the thread carefully.
    It was a factory second, and represented as such when sold. A few flaws should be expected when you buy a factory second, and to condemn the company's quality and integrity is very unfair.

DD is a great company, and sells a very high quality product IMHO.
    wabi

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Now, I want one!

Crazy Hammock Lady

I used a 2010 DD Travel hammock on my bicycle tour, and I absolutely loved it
    Never had any problems with it. It's great that you can put it up super taut, as opposed to Henessy and consorts that require sag to keep the mosquito net up and therefore a diagonal position while sleeping.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by aidy View Post
    I used a 2010 DD Travel hammock on my bicycle tour, and I absolutely loved it
    Never had any problems with it. It's great that you can put it up super taut, as opposed to Henessy and consorts that require sag to keep the mosquito net up and therefore a diagonal position while sleeping.
    I've found mine comfortable with at both ends of the spectrum. Either hang very taut, or extreme sag and a diagonal lay. Either works for me as far as comfort with my bad back. I like taut in cooler weather to cut air circulation (wrapped up like a banana), or a lot of sag and a diagonal lay in hot weather to let more air circulate.

Hanging it in the middle of those extremes can be uncomfortable, though. Seems like the fabric takes on a "W" profile with just a little sag, and the high point is not good to lay on.
    wabi

Hammock
    HH exped.Asym/ WBBB / DD-travel
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch

no problem for me

I'm pretty tall 1m92cm (6'04" ) , 95kg and the DD-travel is long enough for me !
    That doesn't mean I'm laying in it like a banana. (see pic: flat.jpg)
    I have 40cm left from my feet till end of the hammock and about 25 cm left from my head till the other end of the hammock if I'm laying flat. The hammock is wide enough and will create also a kind of footbox (see pic: footend.jpg)
    But most of the times my knees are more bend and are using the width of the hammock, and my head is in the end of the hammock. So I'm able for comfortably sleeping on my left shoulder..

Hammock was not that taut...32deg angle at footend and 35deg angle at head-end.

I also have an HH-exped A-sym.. HH website specs a height limit at 6' but I also sleep very well in it !! Don't see a reason to buy an explorer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    1.7 Dbl. WBBB Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL Trap
    Insulation
    Merlin3 TQ/Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    I have a 2010 DD Travel Hammock and DD XL Tarp that I use. DD's (Nick's) Customer service has been great for all of the purchases I have made from them.

I am 5'10" 250+ Lbs. and had no issues with this hammock on the 2010 Fall AZ Hang.
    thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23854
    U.S. Army Paratrooper, Combat Engineer, DAV (Life Member), American Legion (Life Member)
    NMLRA(1 of 1000[#249] & Life Member), NRA(Life Member)
    Perry Lodge #123 F&AM(Perpetual Member), Perfect Ashlar Lodge #12 F&AM(Perpetual Member)

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast