WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

my ultralight w/ultra weight limits

here is my ultra light set up specs, although not as light as possible, but i'm not to worried about saving weight. i haven't officially weighed everything, i'm just going off the specs of what they are listed as. anyway, just hoping to get some input on things i could do better/different.

Grand Trunk UL Hammock- weight 12oz. limit 250lbs

3mm Spectra @ 2ft/side- weight ??? limit 2100lbs

SMC Descending Rings(4)- weight 11gr/ring(4)=1.5oz total. limit 14 kilonewtons/ring=12,589lbs total.

Strapworks.com 1" polyester Straps @ 10ft/side- weight ??? limit 2500-7000lbs.

Trecklight Carabiners(2)- weight .8oz/carabiner=1.6oz total limit 1100lbs/carabiner=2200lbs total.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Hi mate,

HYOH and all because there are so many different options you can go, combinations to try and all. But you wanted some suggestions so here we go...

2x4 feet treehugger
    2x whoopiesling (larkshead through one eye of treehugger, pass treehugger around tree, adjustable eye of whoopie sling through other eye of tree hugger [depending on diameter of tree the treehugger will pass through itself)
    2x softshackle to connect to hammock (I rigged my softshackle through the channel of my Ticket to the Moon and then connect to adjustable eye of whoopie

Saves you the weight of the rings and biners and some feet of straps. All depending a bit on the diameter of trees you encounter, I normally have no problems with my DIY treehuggers (110 cm [or so], 3.5-4 feet)

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i was starting to think that no one was going to reply lol but yeah i might try shorter straps. everyone one here said go with 10ft just to be safe. as for the whoopies, i'm a visual kinda guy, so i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around them. i understand the idea and the concept, but i think if i saw them set up in person i would buy them in a jiffy. but thank you for the suggestions. i'm always willing to try new/different things.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You'll understand them right away when you get the whoopies...just BE CAREFUL! If there isn't a bead/ziptie/etc. on the adjustable loop it can be very easy to pull it all the way through. It takes forever to fix this problem.

I would def. lose the descender rings and use some sort of toggle to shave a few oz. I stopped bringing aluminum toggles with me, and just spend an extra minute or so looking for the right size/strength stick.

Another option would be to shorten the straps and replace the length by attaching cordage. You would still have strap around the tree but thin line extending down the hammock. Grizz describes this in his youtube video "A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension Part II : Cord"

Although he and others have said they do not recommend using small ropes/cord because the rings pinch the line. There was a thread started recently questioning this. You would probably have to go up to 1/8" line to do it safely so you would want to crunch the numbers on the weight/foot of your strap and whatever line you choose and find out if you are saving and if its worth it.

P.S.
    7/64 amsteel is about 0.048oz per foot. So for a pair of 6 foot whoopie slings that comes to an estimated 0.652oz savings by eliminating the rings (toggle not included).... so not a lot. There will be some additional savings because you will need shorter straps etc. but in reality you may be talking about saving 1-2oz.

What it really comes down to is convenience. I have used whoopies, went back to straps, and am now thinking about going back to whoopies for the spring while sap is running because I can pack the sap covered straps separate from everything. If weight is not a major concern then check out what each setup has to offer aside from weight and then go with whatever you find best for you.
    Last edited by mophead; 04-25-2012 at 10:17.

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    alright. i will consider those. i've contemplated on getting whoopies and the more i hear about them the closer i am to getting them. is the whoopies and toggles easier to set up and break down? then say compared to my set up.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkautzman89 View Post
    alright. i will consider those. i've contemplated on getting whoopies and the more i hear about them the closer i am to getting them. is the whoopies and toggles easier to set up and break down? then say compared to my set up.
    Don't know mate...

It all comes or goes with experience I guess. A noob with his first whoopie might be slower then you with your setup since you have done it a quadzillion times.....

So apart from experience, weight, money and probably a lot more.... it comes down to what suits YOU.... hyoh

Like my cave diving instructors said: there is no shortcut for experience.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    very true born2roam. are you a diver? i myself am a diver.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post

2x4 feet treehugger
    2x whoopiesling (larkshead through one eye of treehugger, pass treehugger around tree, adjustable eye of whoopie sling through other eye of tree hugger [depending on diameter of tree the treehugger will pass through itself)
    2x softshackle to connect to hammock (I rigged my softshackle through the channel of my Ticket to the Moon and then connect to adjustable eye of whoopie

Saves you the weight of the rings and biners and some feet of straps. All depending a bit on the diameter of trees you encounter, I normally have no problems with my DIY treehuggers (110 cm [or so], 3.5-4 feet)

Grtz Johan
    Do you have a picture or diagram of this anywhere? Sounds perfect, but I can't quite figure it out from the description.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTh...I&feature=plcp

That's basically the same thing except instead of a soft shackle dutch is demonstrating it with a whoopie hook. And I it sounds like born2roam has the adjustable end of the whoopie going through his end channel and the brummel larks headed to the strap instead of the brummel larks headed to the hammock and adjustable end on the strap (the latter being the way dutch has it in the vid)

Either way has its advantages when you are hooking to large diameter trees because the whoopies "extend" the strap, but I don't care for it as much as a permanent setup. <- HYOH

Also, FIY its commonly referred to as an "all in one whoopie" setup

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast