Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Images
    I've noticed too that the outdoors are being filled with ipods and fueled stoves. It's like bringing a McDonalds or a microwave out there, 'fast food' style. I've always been fine cooking over a fire or coals. Even my stove I bring around is Vargo's wood burner. To each his own, but personally I too perfer nature to flooding the trails with modern conviences.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    To each their own, but how is a stove, alcohol, proane, etc, "flooding the trail with modern conveninces"? I'd be interested to hear your rationale. There are times when a fire isn't practical, a burn ban is imposed, etc that make fires impossible. HYOH, but a stove isn't a matter of convenience, for many, it's practical.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Images
    I also like to have a fire when out, one of the reasons I'm camping, and to have those flames, even small ones to stare into after dark, something rather mesmerizing and comforting about it.
    Randy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    It's so very true. I often see these moble homes set up with sat TV, car camping families with portable TV and DVD, electric coffee makers and so on. Thats just not camping to me.

Some light and fast technology makes sense for backpacking however. Why use a stone age bone or rock knife when you have steel? There are many great new technologies to improve outdoor life: GPS navigation tools make sense, water purification filters, and siliconized nylon tarps, and so much more.

I like campfire cooking, but cast iron pans are just too heavy. Do you have suggestions for light weight cookwear for the fire? And sometimes theres a fire ban, so you use the alcohol stove. I find stainless steel is great for the fire, but ineffecient for the alcohol stove (an aluminum pot heats the water faster).

we always build a fire when we go out even when it is 95°. Got to make it smoke to drive the bugs away
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    When staying at an established campground with a fire ring, I will usually build at least a small fire, even when camping solo. When there're other folks around, I prefer it because it offers a natural focal point for socialization between everyone.

If I'm at a back country site with no established fire ring, I won't build a fire unless there are other folks who want one. Making a mound fire and then breaking it down is more work for me than I want to do at the end of a long day of hiking.

Now, for cooking, I usually am just boiling water to rehydrate stuff. Which means that I use my little DIY hobo wood burner during the evenings and my alcohol stove in the mornings (I am not a morning person).

If there is a fire ban (not unusual down here in FL), then it's alcohol the whole way.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I love, love, love camp fires Have one every chance I can. I just don't usually take a picture of it to post here, as most people here want to see the trees and hammock set ups.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    It all depends. Like it's been said, solo never have fire. In a group almost always have fire unless it's banned. I never build fires near my hammocks. The fires are usually over in my kitchen area where I cook.

S

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Walk off from the fire to take a constitutional. Stop just on the other side of a rise where you cannot see the fire burning in direct line of sight. Do what you do, and allow the eyes to adjust. Then look back in the direction of camp, but instead of looking on the ground, look up at the lower tree canopy.

Chances are, if the fire has any flames to speak of, you can see them dancing or reflecting in the trees directly above it. If not, sit a little while longer, and keep looking up from time to time. You will usually see it. No need to bother discussing smoke/smell.

It takes a great amount of care to be able to build a fire that can not be undetected. A great bushcrafting skill to perfect!

Fires are nice, comforting, and communal. Originally built first, to provide welcome warmth and light to chase back the darkness hours, to keep predators at bay, and with which to cook.

Small alcohol, propane or woodgas stoves, allow one to use only the energies and fuels needed, to accomplish the last of those tasks. Our insulation and petzel lamps, along with resolve(supplemented or otherwise) are sufficient for the rest.

I'll use an established fire ring on occasion, and often cook dinner there, but I still set up far away for my camp. Part of it for me, is probably finding my way back to a stealth set up. You really get a feel of how well you tucked yourself in, on the way back. Not really based on how long I take to find it but rather how far away I'm able to spot it, when I do.

Stealth camping is what drew me to hammocks, in the first place. I guess, at least when solo, I can't really separate that part of it for me.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    It's so very true. I often see these moble homes set up with sat TV, car camping families with portable TV and DVD, electric coffee makers and so on. Thats just not camping to me.
    My thoughts exactly.

As far as the fire - no matter what the weather or where I am, I always find time to get at least a small fire going. Instant morale booster and entertainment, especially since I've exclusively done solo backpacking trips for the past 7 years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast