Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Video: Double Island GSMNP 3 days on Fontana

I do vids for me so I can reflect a year later on where I was and what I was up to. I share them here so new hangers can see new gear and maybe decide whether it might work for them or not.
    OK having said that in this vid new for me was using the Lazy Slug Tubes for the first time, they are at 6:29. Thanks mostly to oldgringo for roching me into these. For me they are perfect for paddle camping and three day trips. I don't know at this point whether I'll suffer the additional 5ish ounces on a long long section hike. They do protect your sleep kit, keep it all together and really speed up the set up or pack out.
    At 4:39 and 15:37 we use the Zelph Companion Stove and actually cook on it. Because of its large 3 ounce capacity it is very much like cooking on a stove eye at home. We use it in the FireFly by QiWiz (member here at HF) both times. I like these two because the FireFly, the Companion, the CaribouBentSpoke Esbit mod all fit inside the Evernew 0.9L pot along with the windscreen and a lighter with room to spare.
    At 17:20 is a pic showing Poof's Dangerbird and the stealth colors she chose, awesome how it matches up with the HF camo UQ.
    At 3:38 I'm using the new Dutch Hooks for the first time. When these first came out I was afraid that if I used them I'd unclip them and forget part of my suspension. I'm the type that likes to go through the whoopie with the tarp ridgeline keeping it low and centered. With the Dutch Hooks I can now easily unclip the rig when I have to-like in a downpour and pack up the kit under the tarp...so I'd only unclip during a monsoon and this means the chances of me forgetting my tree huggers is really small. Also the amsteel clicks into the Dutch Hook with some force, not a lot but enough that your not going to unclip by accident. So Dutch, I'm a believer now-another great DutchWare product.

Lessons learned on this trip-carry/dont forget the multitool. We had to do minor repair on a kayak rudder system and it would have been nice to have had one. We made do with a knife and all was well. Next lesson, Poof discovered that sleeping in the hammock 2 nights in a row did more therapy on her leg injury than all the nights in a real bed, so hammocks are therapeutic.

Enjoy:

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Fantastic Video,,,anywhere in GSMNP is awesome and enjoyed your trippin immensely. I am envious as I would have been near there but recuping on the disc nicely and and will be in a couple of weeks,,can't wait to get there and neither can the wife. We were planning on hiking out of the Deep Creek area and still have it in mind as its one area of many to still explore. Nice gear selections as well...have to get me some dutch clips for sure. Thanks for posting.

I forgot to comment,"everytime someone posts their info on the Companion Stove we learn something new about its usage and it looks like to me, going to be hard to beat using with the El-Mini,,as we are finding its hard to beat. I enjoyed seeing you cook with it especially simmering and slow cooking. Way to go!
    Last edited by Acer; 04-22-2012 at 12:17.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice Video MM. Sorry to hear about Poofs leg,,hope all heals well soon. A beautiful place GSMNP. How cold was the water there??. The lake looked very low . Is that regulated in some way or just a big difference in el. every season.?? On the west coast The debate of sked vrs rudder is never ending . You see allot of new paddlers with rudders because they were told they needed one even tho their on inland lakes.There certainly can be an advantage on the coast where you can find yourself in strong currents. That said tho current and tide tables are available so a person can use currents to their advantage. I've never regretted not having a rudder but my boat is ocean configuration and tracks straight and true. Won't turn on a dime like WW yaks but that's not what i need. Looks like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing. i like the slug tubes so i might have to thank you and oldgringo later.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Always a fan of your videos. I'm going to be on the AT right through that section at the end of May. Thanks for showing more on the Companion Stove I like being able to cook for so little weight. I wonder if using rocks as a pan support could help save weight or would it work with the EL Mini?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Always a fan of your videos. I'm going to be on the AT right through that section at the end of May. Thanks for showing more on the Companion Stove I like being able to cook for so little weight. I wonder if using rocks as a pan support could help save weight or would it work with the EL Mini?
    FireInMyBones..read the rest of this thread on how MAD777 turned us on to a cheap and nonwieght pot stand for the Companion Stove used in the EL-Mini..works great! Weighs almost nothing.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=47944&page=21
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Thanks. That's great.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Now thats livin! Thanks for the video. Great trip

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Nice!

Nice video. Makes me want to try some of the same. Only thing I have that's close is a Jackson Rogue, but maybe you would like to come up and try some of the New River...Rogue is perfect for that.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    most excellent trip report and video. thanks for taking us along!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Fine vid and trip report!

How you liking that Superior stick?

Jim

• + New Posts