Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

DD Hammock Group Buy Discussion.

Once you have your hammock from the group buy, please post any comments in this thread.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I received my hammock and over all it appears to be a solid hammock. I did notice that all but one of the tabs to hold the mesh are coming off. I was able to give a gentle tug and they just came off. I can see why they did and the fix is very simple. Going into the purchase I knew this was the case with the seconds. My first sewing project will be to reattach the loops. I also plan to add some method to close the second layer. Like my CC Cribs, the hammock is a two layer with one side not sewn together for easy access to add a pad.

Its raining here so I have not hung the hammock to lay in, just strung it up in my office to check it out. I will be using it this weekend and will provide a field report.

The mesh netting is some serious stuff. It seems strong enough to make a hammock out of the material. Much more sturdy than my other hammock's mesh.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I thought resurrecting the Hand Stitching Techniques thread may be handy for those of you who have loose tabs but no sewing machine.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Here is a pic of the loops. I am looking for suggestion on reattaching. It appears they are sewn under the piece of webbing that crosses the width of the mesh. I don think I will be able to get them under the webbing. Could I just sew them on top of the webbing??

Another thing- Once I cut the frays off the loops, they will be smaller (the opening of the loop). Should I get new webbing or will a smaller loop be ok. I could see where I may need a larger loop if I plan to use sticks as a spreader bar. I intend to use an arrow and carry them as part of the kit.

Any constructive advice is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It looks like you could melt the fray and salvage most of the length. In addition the melt would give a good solid ridge to serve as a sewing base. I would think handsewing the tabs on with some upholstery thread would be the ticket. A smal diameter curved needle would make that fix slick as a smelt. At least that is what I would probavbly use, but then we already have stuff like that in my wife's kit.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thumbs up DD hammock

I must have lucked out on my 2 hammocks, all the loops are sewn good, i pulled on each one, they did not come loose. Hung them in my basement, laid in them, for the money they are great hammocks. Thanks HC4U for all your work.
    Ken W.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It looks like you could melt the fray and salvage most of the length. In addition the melt would give a good solid ridge to serve as a sewing base. I would think handsewing the tabs on with some upholstery thread would be the ticket. A smal diameter curved needle would make that fix slick as a smelt. At least that is what I would probavbly use, but then we already have stuff like that in my wife's kit.
    What he said.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Cool- Thanks for the info.

I briefly hung it up at my office using the ADA ramp. Nice and wide and easy to lay diagonally. Quality materials used and nice craftsmenship. I dont count the loops as a negative since it was a second due to the loops stiching. I am going to swap out the webbing for tying the hammock with some extra crazy creek straps I have in the interim.

I am still deciding on a suspension system for all my hammocks. Big Decision!!

I plan to use it anyway this weekend. I can easily elevate the mesh without needing the loops. I will use a smooth river pebble, rubber band & some thin bungie cord until I get a chance to sew them back on.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I got my DD today as well. Thanks for the immediate turnaround shipping, HC4U!

After a thorough examination, it seems that I'm another of the lucky ones. One corner of one single loop is loose, but the rest of the width is sewn tight enough that it won't make any difference. If I hadn't been specifically looking for it, I would have never noticed. Also, I have to echo the earlier sentiments that this seems to be a very well made hammock, and the materials (netting, fabric) appear to be very durable.

Who are they kidding with the shock cord, though? The cord provided is much thicker and stronger than would ever be needed. Now this isn't reasonable to 'complain' about it, since it will certainly do the job nicely, but it is heavier than necessary.

The only viable point of contention I have is the stock webbing. Not only is is astonishingly heavy, but also it wicks water as if it were specifically designed to. In a storm, it would clearly take only a short while to transfer dampness to the body of the hammock. So, I will be replacing that right away.

After initial inspection, besides the suspension, I'm more than satisfied with the product. I'm really looking forward to testing out the DD Hammock.

*When is a hammock manufacturer going to listen to the members of this forum and adopt one of the newer suspension models that we have proven to be effective and trustworthy? DD Hammocks would do well to consider just that.*
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    *When is a hammock manufacturer going to listen to the members of this forum and adopt one of the newer suspension models that we have proven to be effective and trustworthy? DD Hammocks would do well to consider just that.*
    What he said, there is enough info from folks on here for a manufacturer to create the perfect hammock in more ways than just newer suspension methods.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast