Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors

Talking Scout Master Accomodations for the Weekend

Our troop went on a bike trip this weekend along the north end of the New River Rail Trail. We camped at a nearby Scout camp (Roland). Since we were the only troop at the camp, I took a shelter for myself

The hammock felt good the night we arrived, but felt even better after 20 miles on a bicycle ! Both nights got down to mid 40's and I slept in tee shirt and shorts used my sleeping bag as top quilt and my windshield sun screen with fleece as under pad. I did slip on a knitted hat. Pictures should be below

view from the bike trail

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    WVS,

Good to see you got your troop out for physical activity. Far to much of my son's scout camping has been drive a truck and a trailer full of gear to the camp site and set up camp and not enough backpacking or canoeing to a camp site to learn about light weight camping.

From the pictures going south paid off . Friday I had work to do at Plateau Medical Ctr. in Oakhill. Then about 6pm I left to drive to Huntington to do some work at the Med Ctr there. Still bright and sunny. As I neared Huntington I could see the cloud cover moving in from the West and had a little rain driving home. Cold and dry is easier than cold and wet.

I thought the New River Rail Trail was in WV so I was a bit confused when you mentioned Camp Roland. My son has been there twice during summer camps. He is now on the threshold of earning his Eagle. After a quick search I found the NRRT map and now see it is all south of the border. However, I found a web site listing 27 Rail Trails here at home.

http://www.wvrtc.org/

My son rode part of the Greenbrier River trail a few years ago with relatives. That must have been the trail I was thinking about. My extended family shares a cabin near Green Bank so it is an easy drive from there. I was working and did not go with them.

Having Roland to yourselves certainly made it easy to find a place to hang your hammock. Since I only saw 1 hammock I am left to wonder if the boys were left to sleep on the hard ground.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Very nice! The shelter is a great idea, although you probably didn't need your tarp. We had a family trip planned for goblin valley in Utah where trees are scarce but there are shelters at each campsite. You could easily get 4 hammocks on each one, with a 5th on the diagonal.

• + New Posts