WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids

Uq attempt :(

Well for the past month on and off I have been attempting to make a down uq and I have not had any susess. I am just having issues sewing the baffles to the second layer.

At this point I am thinking about burning all the ripstop and down in a big bonfire.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    what kind of problem are you having ?
    should be easy to sew the baffles to the 2nd layer all you do is start at one end with the 2nd layer(the layer your sewing to) feed it into your sewing machine (inside facing up or side your sewing the baffle to) sew it and work your way over till you have them all sewn.. with it facing this way you can sew the baffle to the 2nd layer with ease so as your sewing the completed baffles will be to your left of your sewing machine

so after you have the very first one sewn (should be one of the ends) just work your way to the other side
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If you're having problems managing the extra material, I have found that rolling it up and using large binder clips helps keep it out of the way...

Let me know how it goes, my UQ is marked, but I haven't started sewing yet...

Pics?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Don't give up! Remember the 80 year old lady that recently landed her husband's plane after he died of a heart attack at the yoke? Others from the airport talked her down. Stick with us and we'll talk you through this under quilt

Did you sew all the baffles to the first layer first before beginning to sew the baffles to the 2nd layer?

Can you spread out what you have and post a picture for us to see?

The general idea is that all the baffles are sewn to the 1st side. Then, as John suggested, roll up side 2 and fix with a binder clip leaving just a few inches exposed from the roll. Place this roll under your sewing machine's arm with the excess fabric positioned under the needle.

Lay out the 1st layer of fabric, that has all the baffles attached, to the left of the sewing machine.

Now sew the 1st baffle to the marked line on the 2nd piece of fabric. Then sew the next baffle to the 2nd mark on the 2nd piece of fabric, etc. between sewing each baffle, you will need to release a few more inches of material held by the binder clip.

Perhaps someone has a picture of their quilt at this stage that they can post to help out.

Keep asking questions!! Hammock Forums is here to help
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Please don't give up. Post some pictures. I'm getting ready to start mine too, so it helps us all to learn the process. (I've been a bit scared to touch my material).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    As others have said roll the extra material and also make sure to sew all the baffles to one side first before starting the other side. One tip I found really helpful when I made my TQ and UQ was to lay out all the fabric and use masking tape to lay out all the lines...I feel like this was helpful to sew straight but it also added a rigidity to the thin material making it easier to sew.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Please don't give up. Post some pictures. I'm getting ready to start mine too, so it helps us all to learn the process. (I've been a bit scared to touch my material).
    I'm sorta in the same boat. This is a project on my To Do list, but I have not felt competent to even begin (not to mention, too busy and too many other things on my To Do list). Would love to learn from others' experiences.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    As others have said roll the extra material and also make sure to sew all the baffles to one side first before starting the other side. One tip I found really helpful when I made my TQ and UQ was to lay out all the fabric and use masking tape to lay out all the lines...I feel like this was helpful to sew straight but it also added a rigidity to the thin material making it easier to sew.
    Did you sew right onto the masking tape?? Then how did you remove the tape...or did you just sew next to the tape? Boy, is this information helpful!!!

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Thanks everyone for your replies

I have sewn all the baffles onto the first side of my fabric, but where I think I messed up is that I did not put lines on the fabric where each baffle should line up. I also like the idea of rolling up the excess fabric, because it defiantly was getting in the way and making it harder to sew everything.

I think what I might do is just make this one a summer UQ. I would just cut off the baffles and then just make it sewn threw baffles. And then on my next UQ I will do more prep by marking each baffle before I start.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies

I have sewn all the baffles onto the first side of my fabric, but where I think I messed up is that I did not put lines on the fabric where each baffle should line up. I also like the idea of rolling up the excess fabric, because it defiantly was getting in the way and making it harder to sew everything.

I think what I might do is just make this one a summer UQ. I would just cut off the baffles and then just make it sewn threw baffles. And then on my next UQ I will do more prep by marking each baffle before I start.
    Yeah, you cant just skip this step... Assuming the baffles are evenly spread on the side they're attached to cant you just measure the spacing and mark out the other sheet to match?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast