Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece

Generic closed cell foam

Has anyone tried a generic CCF for pads? By generic, I guess I mean from a business which isn't a camping supply place.

At this link, http://www.closedcellfoams.com/volara.html , I found "Volara Closed Cell Foam." It looks like it has potential. I'm interested in the 1/4" thick stuff. At 60" wide and $3.59 per linear foot, I figure I could buy 6 feet (maybe less, haven't decided), cut it in half to make two 30" x 72" pads for a total of $21 before shipping.

It says it's 2.0 pounds per cubic foot. If I did the math correctly that would be about 10 ounces each.

I need to dig out one of my blue Walmart pads and weigh it. If it was a big difference, I might change.

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts, pros or cons?

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I have bought that exact same foam. It worked great for me and it is very wide. It is almost hard to carry it is so wide. It is light, and is cheap. I prefer an underquilt though.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Hey Preacha man- JeffJenn was inquiring about the same thing(or at similiar). Maybe shoot her a note and let her know your opinions. She sent me a PM based on a link I put in a post, but I had no feedback for her.

From JeffJenn

LW, I was looking for a report on the material. I was mainly wanting to see which density was like my blue Wal-mart pad & which density to go with. (firm, med, soft).

Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece
    Hey, that's good to know someone who's actually used it! Re the width, that's part of the reason I'm going to cut it to 30" wide. Then I have pads for 2 of us, wider than the Walmart pads but not too terribly wide.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Hey Preacha man- JeffJenn was inquiring about the same thing(or at similiar). Maybe shoot her a note and let her know your opinions. She sent me a PM based on a link I put in a post, but I had no feedback for her.
    I will send her a PM refering her to this thread. Thanks

As far as the width goes, I cut mine down to 42" so it really covers my shoulders and arms. I am a very cold sleeper, and my shoulders are where I ger the coldest. They work well though, I bought 12' of it, and it came shipped rather nicely.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts