Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    A lot of the cottage industry guys just don't have the space to leave them set up to dry. There are two ways to do it, messy or neat. Both will stop it from leaking. I'm probably the worlds worst (aesthetically) seam sealer and I have had the privaledge of doing it on two of my tarps. Just make sure all sewn through threads and the folded seams are covered thoroughly. I have tried the little brush that comes with the Silnet and the little foam brushes I use for grout sealer, but I am too impatient and choose to use the tube as an applicator. So far, no leaks.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

I originally ordered a Deluxe, checked it out, sold it, bought an Ultra. The Deluxe was seam sealed, I'm aware of what the end result looks like.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    OK good. But at least talk to Brian. I would bet on it he didn't know he missed that one. I've met Brian, he's a super nice fellow and will work with you.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

I'm sure he would/will help me out. However, I'd to use this tarp in a few days, so I'd like to deal with this situation myself for the time being.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Buy a tube of GE Silicone II from Walmart and mix it 4:1 with mineral spirits (Home Depot has odorless M.S.). That's 1 part silicone to 4 parts mineral spirits. I use a very small sponge brush from the paint dept.

This is important. Rig up the tarp with full tension on the ridgline when you seam seal it. The ridgeline needs to be under tension to open up the stitch holes so that the silicone can fill them.

It will take hours to dry so pick a sunny day. I usually do it twice on back to back weekends.
    Last edited by MAD777; 06-07-2012 at 11:05.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Lucky I had been avare of this trick! Look closer at MacCat page at the OES site, the new tarp batch have optional seam sealing for six to seven bucks and I think that pulsomed accidentally added tarp to shopping cart from left column not the right one.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The Permatex flowable sealant adheres where home-brew does not always. Not theory; observed.

Not mentioned often, for general discussion is that there are tapes that can be used as part of construction that will reduce leakage. Also, contrary to prejudice, there are outdoor threads including cotton outer layers. And there are anti-wick threads using waxed coating..

I thought I'd read that Brian sews with nylon for the given reason that it swells a bit when wet. If, like some others, it doesn't leak at all, why seal it?

On one rain fly I use a lot, there is never leakage from the unsealed ridgeline. But the bottom hems fills with air and some water after prolonged rainfall. I may seal some of the hems to reduce mildew in the tie out lines, which are kept wet from wicking, even after I've squee-geed the water out between fingers when I take the tarp down. But, where to stop? What if the water is coming in from the hems on the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    If, like some others, it doesn't leak at all, why seal it?

On one rain fly I use a lot, there is never leakage from the unsealed ridgeline.
    I thought about this. I suppose I could not seam seal the ridgeline and use the tarp as is for awhile and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    This is important. Rig up the tarp with cull tension on the ridgline when you seam seal it. The ridgeline needs to be under tension to open up the stitch holes so that the silicone can fill them.
    This is a great tip. I wouldn't have thought of that.

The marketing name I see dropped frequently is 'Permatex.' Is there a reason this product is preferred? If possible, I'd rather not have to thin any sealer pre application. Is that the case with 'Permatex?'

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast