Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    The shorter one rates itself at 110KG and the longer one at 350KG.
    The shorter is much lighter but what forces would there be on the ground anchor anyway assuming each end of the hammock was supported by an A-frame support?
    Nigel
    Seems like force ratings would have to be made in the context of specific types of soil...

Anyway, on the forces, assuming you have on stake that is in line with the hammock axis of symmetry (a.k.a. straight back), you take the shear force at the top of the connecting point (what the anchor is holding back) and adjust by an angle that amplifies the force due to geometry. See the attached picture. t is the angle the suspension line is at going to the connection, s is the angle of the stake line with respect to the horizontal.
    The pull on the stake is (W/2) / ( tan(t) cos(s) ) where W is the weight of the occupant. [btw the shear force here is (W/2)/ tan (t) ].

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Thanks for that calculation. I weigh around 70KG and have so far come up with 3 different answers using your equation. This is entirely the fault of my rubbish maths!!
    I am going to get two of the higher rated ones and have a play about at the weekend.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    There's a Bi-pod setup I saw on here somewhere that would probably work well.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...17&postcount=9

http://www.anchorhammock.com/overview.html
    If the line were to break or the anchor fail, those 2x4s with the bolt sticking out could come crashing down somewhere in the vicinity of your head. I've used a similar system with the other end secured to a tree and have slept with my head at the tree end.

I've used this system only when car camping and can only find one tree. I attach to the tree, then to the 2x4s and finally down to the trailer hitch on my Honda Element. It's rare I need it and have never been a situation where it wouldn't work.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    For an anchor in the sand, a deadman would work great. someone already mentioned burying rocks, but branches work as well. tie the line in the middle of a 3' branch, at least 1.5"in dia. then bury the branch in wet sand (as previously mentioned) perpendicular to the pull. Some driftwood from the beach would work well. Or a hiking staff, or your paddle if you're feeling adventurous. Don't dig with your paddle, it was made for water, not sand.

hammock beach and no hammocking? That is wrong on so many levels...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    hammock beach and no hammocking? That is wrong on so many levels...
    Yeah, I'll bet more than one has wondered about that name.
    A while back, someone gave a definition of why that name was likely used there. Something like this...
    "A piece of land thickly wooded, and usually covered with bushes and vines. Used also adjectively; as, hammock land. [Southern U. S.] Bartlett."
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I take a stick and tie the string in the middle and then slide the CD down to the stick. If you are creative, you can tie 2 or 3(one on top of the other) with string, separating them about 4 inches apart. Dig down in the sand and bury them.
    Went on vacation to the beach last week and did some rudimentary testing on this. Basically, I call this one plausible.

I did not proceed to the point of hanging a hammock. All I did was put 5 CD's on a strap of 1" polyPro webbing with knots tied below each CD spaced about 5" apart and left a 3' - 4' section to be above the sand for anchoring to. I buried the bottom CD about 1.5' - 2' in the sand and a slight angle and spaced the other CD's by jabbing them in the sand parallel to each other. I them filled it with sand carefully to make sure the CD's did not get knocked loose. I then poured a few pales of water onto the disturbed sand to help settle and pack it in.

To test the results, I grabbed hold of the protruding webbing and used my 230 lbs. to apply a load test by leaning back with "mild" force. It held solid. I'm satisfied that distributing a load across two of these and a pair of bi-pods would do very well, at least for short hangs (ala a day at the beach). Adding 2 more sets of anchors or more CD's might increase the resistance enough for long term hanging.

Changes would be to bury the string of CD's deeper and water them in more thoroughly. Once the water percolated out of the sand around the CD's I was able to pull the string out fairly easily. Getting all of the CD's down into the more dense wet sand would help greatly.

The sand was the light, fine sand in Destin FL. so a heavier, more dense sand would perform better I suspect.

The two strings of CD's were light but bulky so it might be more practical to have it so it can be quickly assembled on site for more compact storage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234