Hammock
    HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH
    I do have the snakeskins but haven't tried wrapping both the hammock and tarp together yet. When hanging over the weekend I rigged the tarp on a separate ridgeline and since the takedown was in the rain just used the skins for the hammock. The next time around I'll try wrapping them together and then see how well it rehangs from there. Loving the hammock so far.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    I do have the snakeskins but haven't tried wrapping both the hammock and tarp together yet. When hanging over the weekend I rigged the tarp on a separate ridgeline and since the takedown was in the rain just used the skins for the hammock. The next time around I'll try wrapping them together and then see how well it rehangs from there. Loving the hammock so far.
    Wish I had the video. I would probably want to do some rainy back yard testing before I committed to that system on the trail!

Images
    Got it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LVy...hannel&list=UL

Roll up of hammock and tarp into skins starts about 1:40 into this video. Watch how slick this cute gal makes it look! Now picture the rain coming down, but notice how well she keeps the hammock covered by the tarp as she first rolls everything up into the tarp before the snake skins swallowing everything.

In fact, I think she is also rolling up the HHSS undercover and maybe the space blanket along with the hammock and tarp! After she 1st removes the OCF pad and all that extra insulation she has stuffed down into the UC.

Again, I've done this in dry weather, but I never had the nerve yet to try it on the trail in rain. If the underside of the tarp was wet from condensation that would get the hammock wet, so you might have to dry that off first. Though I have never really had that trouble on the trail, though I have in the back yard. Also, if you did have the HHSS UC on the hammock, that would just provide that much more protection to the hammock as you were getting things rolled up.

Keep in mind, though it looks a little risky to me, one of the younger HH folks ( not Tom ) told me this was the favorite way of staying dry for some of them. And I figure they get plenty of rainy weather where these are made. But that was a couple of years ago and I think even the HH folks have switched to larger tarps and tying the tarps to the trees.

If this worked and was safe to keep things dry, I can't imagine anything more convenient, for both set up and break down of camp.

Be sure and let us know if you try this and it works out for you.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I may try just wrapping the hammock that way going forward. Notice she had no issues with a giant 'knot' in the middle that she had to fight with.

Still don't care much for the idea of having the hammock and a wet tarp in the same skins. Last time I was out, it was a soaking rain coming down...there's no way that the hammock would have stayed dry no matter how carefully I tried to roll it...just too much water still sitting on/in the tarp.

Keeping them in seperate skins still seems the best way to keep the hammock dry. Just put the tarp up first, and take the hammock down first...no issues.

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I've had my HH with skins out in several storms and can give some insight. While I have setup in the rain many times, I try to wait for a break in the weather to pack up. It is true that having 2 skins would ensure the hammock stays dry and separate from the tarp at all times, it can be done with some success only using one skin.

I knock off as much beading water as I can off of the tarp, then release the tension lines. I then wrap the tarp point under the hammock in opposing directions. Wrap as tight as you can, making sure to shake off water as it pools. Draw in the skins from the corners but leave about 6 inches exposed in the middle. Hang something from the middle point, causing a sag to which any water you missed will run. Now I continue packing up the rest of my stuff. When I come back, I remove any water collected and finish packing up the hammock. It is super easy and very effective.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    [QUOTE=Latitude918;717017]How do you do that?[/QUOTE

Put a post on here asking for anyone that had the rings that they took off because they wanted whoopies..
    (or order some or something similar)
    And get a little bit of Amsteel or other proper cordage and tie them on.
    If you get the rings I can show you how to do it easy enough.\
    I have 2 HH that I converted over..
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    ENO-HH-Gatherd
    Tarp
    http://www.hammock
    Suspension
    Rings-webbing
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
    01 R1
    01 CBR929
    08DRZSM
    07BMW F650GS
    92 DR650 24-7 365
    03 KTM 450EXC

Hammock
    HH BPULA
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Skyhooks...
    On my stock backpacker asym. I've settled on using a simple clove hitch, backed up with a slippery half hitch over an ultralight climbing spec. 'biner. Its easily adjustable before you lock it with the half hitch and slips right off the gate of the 'biner in the morning. I work as a stagehand and "clove and a half hitch" is used very commonly on rigging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123