DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hennessy quick hanging method

I saw the videos on YouTube about using a gardia (spelling) hitch around a couple of descender rings as a quick set up method. It looked like a great idea, however, I have heard that this actually stressed out the ropes of the hammock. Is this true? Has anyone had these problems?

Also, are there any other quick set up methods that can be used with the stock ropes that would be better than tying the figure 8 four times?

I have heard that a clove hitch around a carabiner does the trick.

Thanks for the info
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use the carabiner and descending rings method and have not noticed to much rope stretch. I have only been hanging for a year so maybe in time it will but its all godd and very quick to setup!!
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Images
    How are you with a taught line hitch? It is supposed to be a bad idea, but I have a friend who used this with his stock HH, and it held him fine night after night to my surprise. Though how it works might vary with the rope and your weight ( he is a skinny guy). I (215 lbs) have not yet tried it on my HH, but the other day I tried it on slippery Amsteel with some Whoopie slings, that came with my WL Night Owl. I threw in several extra turns due to the slippery nature, and was ready to hit the ground. But it held just fine for a short test, to my surprise. YMMV!

But I'm not really sure how much time that saves over the regular HH figure 8 lashing. And if you don't "cinch" the tree hugger around the tree and don't pull the RL too tight, it is easy too move the tree huggers up and down if you need to adjust the height at one or both ends. But, if you needed to recenter, the taught line or some other method would be quicker.

Another thing I have found with the HH is that not all 4 wraps are really needed. Two wraps and a slippery 1/2 hitch or two and it isn't going anywhere. Again, YMMV!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Another thing I have found with the HH is that not all 4 wraps are really needed. Two wraps and a slippery 1/2 hitch or two and it isn't going anywhere. Again, YMMV!
    I was also thinking this. I was wondering, "why 4? why is that the magic number?" If 2 and a couple half hitches would hold it I could survive.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    I was also thinking this. I was wondering, "why 4? why is that the magic number?" If 2 and a couple half hitches would hold it I could survive.
    I hung just today using just two wraps, worked fine for a short period. I feel sure it would work all night.

I also tried a taught line hitch. On my HH, the rope is pretty stiff, and I was having trouble getting the loops to line up correctly. Still, it held fine on the head end, but I couldn't get it to hold on the foot end.

Then I tried it on my WL Night Owl and the slippery Amsteel cord used for it's Whoopie slings. I did put in 5 or 6 loops, but it seemed to hold fine on both ends. But after laying in it a short while, I could not adjust it without partially untying it.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I have been using the first step of a munters hitch with my HH stock rope.
    Tree hugger gets sinched around tree, carabiner clips on loop in hugger. Suspension line goes down through biner, around line and back up through biner. It seems to hold while making adjustments and is then tied off with a slippery half-hitch and a half-hitch.

Working so far.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Tried all sorts of set ups with m Hennessy. Finally in frustration I listened to the folks on this forum and switched to Whoopie Slings and haven't had any issues or frustrations since.
    Keep in mind a Hennessy requires different Whoopies then the others so specify that you have a Hennessy if you buy them. I am sure someone has made a video on it as well

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't get the fascination or advantage of the Whoopie slings? I don't have them and maybe that is why but after seeing them and reading all about them I don't see the advantage the carabiner and ring system is just as easy to adjust and get right!!
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sgeary28 View Post
    I don't get the fascination or advantage of the Whoopie slings? I don't have them and maybe that is why but after seeing them and reading all about them I don't see the advantage the carabiner and ring system is just as easy to adjust and get right!!
    Weight would be the biggest argument and Whoopies are pretty simple to operate and don't damage your line and once adjusted no knots to tie to prevent slippage. No one claims they are the perfect device or the ultimate suspension. If your happy with your rig , great dont change. That is why I hike my own hike If you haven't tried them out is it safe to judge them. I tried all the others and I am happy now with the Whoopies, simple as that.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by sgeary28 View Post
    The only reason I switched from the 'biner and ring system is because I'd heard/seen some of the posts about the stock rope getting stressed and eventually shearing. Figured I'd pass on that as even a remote possibility.

My method right now is one I learned from Jbizzle out at the KC area hang. Whoopies WITH a climbing rated 'biner.

Do the MSH hitch in your strap, only run the 'biner through like you would the toggle.

Rather than attach the whoopie sling "over the knot, not the toggle", just attach the whoopie sling INTO the climbing rated 'biner like you would any other rope.

Easy peasy, two seconds to adjust, and no risk of the whoopie coming "over the toggle" because you forgot to check and make sure it was still in place before you climbed in your hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast