Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

20° AND 40° UQ - Feeling wasteful

As if there weren't enough of these threads It's just the classic difficult decision these UQ's!

I have my 40°+2oz Incubator and love it - cozy and warm in the upper 30's so far.

For colder temps, say 15-35°, I think I would like the 20° Incubator. It may sound dumb but I feel "wasteful" having both at such close temp ranges. Of course I'm not going to try the 40°UQ when it's 15°, but there's only a small window where I would need the 20°.

Maybe I should just get the 0° and cover 99% of situations? What is everyone's experience with a 0° Incubator in the low 30's? No "too" warm, right?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have come to accept the fact that I will eventually own one of everything from HammockGear...I'm addicted to the soft fluffy heroin!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Resistance is futile, you will be insulated.

David

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I've used a 0* Incubator on 65-70* nights.

It can easily be vented or just thrown to the side and not used if it is too hot.

You could probably get away with a 40*+2 oz and a 0* and be covered for most situations IMHO (can't hurt to get a 20* in the future too though )

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would recommend, from personal experience, skipping right to the 0° incubator. I went hiking last weekend and the temperatures were warmer than expected at night (around 40°). I was comfortable with my 0° incubator and 20° burrow. At one point during the night I got too warm and had to vent the top quilt for comfort.

Peace,
    David

I have the full complement of quilts! My reason is I am a UL'er, and I don't want to carry needless weight! My opinion/thought is carry what the temps dictate, and utilize clothing, food, hot water bottle, and other tricks to manage if the unfortunate should happen and the temps dip down much lower than expected!
    FWIW I can push all my quilts by at least 10* lower than they are rated for as I am a "Hot" sleeper!

You can always vent a quilt if too warm, if the quilt isn't warm enough for the given temps beyond what I previously mentioned there's a good possibility your in for a cold night should all things not work right!

My problem is if I get too warm (hot) I begin to sweat and then it's a ruff night for me, so my management of temps n such may not be the norm!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    I love my new 20 deg under and top quilt, but I have been thinking about getting a 40 deg set too...so don't get embarrassed, we all have our hobbies

Images
    i have (2) 40 degree and (2) 0 degree under quilts, but it have never crossed my mind to buy a 20 until now
    ................i thought about it... i don't need one

Top quilts i have 0's, 20's and 40's

KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have (2) 40 degree and (2) 0 degree under quilts
    So that extra 0° is for me, right?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I as well own a set of Hammock Gear quilts for each of the changing season (3 sets in my possession as of now and another set on the way) and like Cranky Bear I like to use rated quilts for the temps expected to avoid carrying extra bulk and weight. If I am a worried that the temps might dip below expected quilt rating and or night time temps might be cool then ill bring some extra clothing (which yes washes the weight saving of a lighter quilt but serve dual purpose). That way if I get cold around camp I can wear the clothing around camp and keep me warm at night while sleeping which has worked out well for me in my experiences. I also generally always carry a torso length CCF pad with me (which also serves as my pack frame and sit pad which I can use to supplement underneath me if temps were to really dip below what I expected) So if the expected lows are going to be lets say 35, I can bring my set of 40 rated quilts instead of my 20 rated quilts, save the quilt weight and instead bring a few extra cloths which are useful in the PM and AM around camp.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast