Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down

Fleece TQ

I have a bicycle trip coming up soon and I am in the process of making a 2 layered fleece topquilt. I will have the ability to put "other" insulation between the layers. The "other" insulation could be anything from a space blanket to clothing im not wearing. I have not the money for down and fleece is cheap soft and warm. So my question to those who know is..... Just how low of temps do you think 2 layers of fleece will get you? The lows for the nights should be around the mid 40's which is a lot warmer than I have ever hammock camped. I have no concerns with my bottom insulation. My pad is tried and true.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I would think that maybe the best route would be to put some light weight nylon on the outside to act as a wind block. For me the chief downfall of fleece is its lack of windproofness (is that a word?) and of course the bulk . You could also throw a layer of insultex in between the layers too.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Try a layer ( or 2 ) of the thin foam used to wrap electronics.

G

trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    My first TQ's were a double layer of fleece and they kept me warm down to 32*F on my first outting. I also had on midweight polypro's. My current system is an inner layer of fleece, 2nd layer a polyester DIY quilt and an outer layer of nylon as a windbreak on top. This was good down into the mid 20's last Jan. at the 2nd FL Hang also wearing polypro's.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I like the feel of fleece too. Really seems to warm up fast, when used as an inner liner. Outside of bulk, with the ability to adjust insulation(cloths, insultex, additional layers) 40's should be possible. Be sure to add the piece of outer shell nylon, topside, as stated above, to keep the wind out and the warm in.

Fleece usually dries not super, but fairly easily in the field. major drawback is it's a leaf, twig, and practically anything else it touches, mega magnet. I use it in the back yard, but not in on the trail.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i have been useing a double layer fleece tq for about two years.with light cloths i have slept comfy to 32 deg many times.i also made mine so i could add more insulation inside.sometimes i put a down vest or a wool flannel in there.last winter my main top quilt was my fleece one.i just piled my coat,down vest and anything else i was not wearing on top of it.my hammock also has a zip closeable weathershield which helps cut the wind.i slept down to -4degf useing it like this.
    if i make another i will use a different color on the inside as it can be hard to tell which is which when its tangled in a ball after a mid night return from remarking your teritory.i am also thinking of lineing the footbox area with nylon so my feet slide in easier when it is tangled.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Thanks for the tips and the encouraging temps you guys have used fleece at. Not 100% sure nylon will be in the budget. Fortunately there are plenty of cheap alternatives to nylon as a wind break. I have some fleece left over and so I am considering booties and wristies. Thanks again for the responses.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Exped Multimat
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by RePete View Post
    Not 100% sure nylon will be in the budget.
    what sort of budget are we talking? basic ripstop nylon is pretty cheap even locally.

Or, you could use trashbags or an emergency blanket if you don't mind the vapor barrier part.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    what sort of budget are we talking? basic ripstop nylon is pretty cheap even locally.

Or, you could use trashbags or an emergency blanket if you don't mind the vapor barrier part.
    Ha ha my budget is so low I went over budget just using the word budget.

If you saw my sleeping bag you would never suggest trying to pack the thing. Its huge. Im no longer to conserned about staying warm. I am confident I will be fine. Ona side note I made a neck gaiter the other day. That thing is awesome. Planning on making a double layered one in the morning.
    Pete.

Hammock
    DIY Blue Monster
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by RePete View Post
    Ha ha my budget is so low I went over budget just using the word budget.
    Definitely for warmer weather, but I picked up a very lightweight fleece blanket with a nylon lining on the outside to keep the breeze from robbing all the warmth (soft fleece on the inside) 80" x 48" (iirc) from Target for less than 10 bucks in the travel section (near the travel pillows, eye masks, etc.). Perfect for warm summer nights to take off the chill. Very compact, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast