Hammock and accesory comparison

Hey, I am new to this sight, and to the idea of hammocks. I've been a ground dweller for some time, and I am looking to get airborne. So I need some help: I am trying to put together a hammock setup. The ground is fine, but needless to say there have been a few or more uncomfortable nights. Flat level land isn't everywhere.

First and foremost, is there a place/link that shows different set ups with weights, and perhaps some pricing??

This is my thought on the setup I think I would want. The extra that follows is for sizing recommendations and related questions:
    1. hammock-- I am 6'1", 195lbs, 34" waist, 52" girth around the chest and shoulders. And for ease of setup, I think I would want a ridgeline.
    2. straps & whoopies--is 6' each long enough on the straps? How long should each whoopie be?
    3.Bugnet--attached or not attached?? It seems like (just from some reading on this site), that some folks don't like the bugnet??
    4. Underquilt & Topquilt--I am not yet winter season, so probably looking at a 3 season set. If I by them separately, should the TQ & UQ be of the same temp rating? I am sure you can mix/match, but generally which one ends up being the lower temp rating (more lofted) item?

Currently, my ground sleeping/shelter setup (tent, pad, bag) is at 5.0lbs, dead even. I know I can shave an easy 1.0lb with a different bag/topquilt. So I am looking to keep the weight no more than 5 lbs if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I can get real crazy with a cuben tarp, but for now let's leave the cuben out of it.

PS. I have been looking at the WBBB in a 1.9 single, and also been looking at Wilderness logistics. This is where I get stuck on the bugnet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Go to a group hang and checkout what people are using. Try before you buy. Other then that stick with one of the cottage vendors gear and you can always sell what doesn't work for you.

S

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Go to a group hang and checkout what people are using. Try before you buy. Other then that stick with one of the cottage vendors gear and you can always sell what doesn't work for you.

S
    Awesome advice!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If the areas you normaly camp at are buggy then get a Warbonnet Blackbird with its built in bugnet. Other wise consider a seperate bugnet.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

1. I am 6' and 210. I got a WBBB 1.1 double. I with I had gotten the single and saved a few ounces.
    2. Strap length depends on the area / average tree size you hang in. I have been fine with 7' straps with only a few prime spots passed because of tree size. I think my whoopie slings are about 8 feet and have never been short.
    3. I have a WBBB, my son has a Eno with bug sock. His is a pain IMO. The net would add weight in the winter but so far I am a 3 season hanger so it is a must.
    4. My current setup with all rigging is under 4.5 lbs with sil tarp, WBBB 1.1 double, custom HG 20 deg UQ/TQ (ordered but not here yet). My planned setup, when budget allows, will be a HG cuben tarp and a WBBB 1.7 single. This setup will easily be under 4 lbs maybe pushing 3.5 lbs depending on the final weight of the UQ/TQ.
    Slave to modern society....for now

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    There are lots of hammocks with bugnets built in try them all find the one YOU like best.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Hey RC!! I have family in Athens and I love that town! Great people (and fabric stores!! )

Here's a sticky designed to help noobies just like yourself sort through ALL the information, cost comparisons, weight choices, etc. Click here

Best of luck and welcome!!!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    rafter C, I live near McCormick, SC at the lake and would be happy to show you some hammock setups so you can check them out. PM me if you want to come by one weekend and try out some hammocks. I have several for you to check out with bugnets, and without bugnets. Just let me know.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Im just up the road in Hartwell. PM me if you want to come by some time. Most of my stuff is diy.

Here is what I recommend to get started.
    -Basic double layer hammock, either diy or purchased from cottage industry.
    This allows you to use the pad you have and upgrade to an underquilt.
    -A generic sleeping bag appropriate for temperatures that unzips at least to the knees to use as a topquilt
    -Eventually, a proper underquilt and top quilt. 20 degree rated will cover everything in GA. I use a 45 degree sleeping bag in the spring and fall, a neat sheet in the summer for a top quilt. A 20 degree top quilt if temps are going to be in the 40s or below.
    -bug net. I prefer my bugnet unattached to the hammock because I can adjust my underquilt from inside the hammock and if it's cold and no bugs, I don't carry it.
    -I still use straps and rings for my setup because I think it's a little faster to set up and adjust. I tried whoopies for a while and went back to straps. I know I have a little more weight than necessary, but convenience is worth it for me. I car camp frequently, so weight isn't a concern then at all.

Thank you to all for your input. I have PM'd on the offers. Hopefully this will help me.

• + New Posts