Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag, pad
    Suspension
    webbing

A Leap of Faith?

Hello Everyone,

I'm very close to purchasing my first hammock and tarp - a purchase driven by how extremely uncomfortable I was sleeping on a pad in a tent. But in the area I live (southern Vancouver Island) hammock camping seems to be completely unheard of, or at the very least, slightly on the lunatic fringe.

I would like to hear from forum members when the idea of purchasing a hammock, and sleeping in it, became an idea or possibility?

What part of the U.S., Canada, or the U.K were you living in? Did you know other hammock campers, or were you the only one in your neighbourhood that thought that sleeping in a hammock was a better choice?

Was moving to a hammock a "leap of faith" for you?

Thanks,
    Coffeedrinker

PS You might have guessed that buying a hammock is a big purchase for me!

Images
    Sleeping uncomfortably in Gravel Springs Shelter, just of the AT in Shenandoah with someone who hung their hammock in the shelter. They slept great. My shoulders ached and I was tired from waking up and turning a lot. I went home and ordered a hammock set up immediately! Haven't gone back to ground/shelter/tent since.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Just me, still.

Mayor, Lunatic Fringe. Hizzoner will do.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    First off, welcome to the forum Coffee, good to have you.

Having never "hung" in the cold (soon to fix) I can't speak for this, The most I've had to worry about so far is the South Georgia "Zombie Skeeters" and having a decent bug net. But a decent topquilt and underquilt will keep you warm when you need it.

Hanging in the cold doesnt seem crazy, we get all the best spots in the winter! Most of us do it for comfort, but at the same time know that perparing for cold weather has its own set of challenges.

Check out Shug TV and his 10 part series of hammock prep videos if you haven't already. He also has a video showing a group hang at 19 below.

Prepare for laughter. You have been warned...LOL

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Muletape straps
    I heard of the idea on a separate hiking forum, and started doing research on youtube. Later on I found hammockforums, but by then I had made a few DIY hammocks, tried them out, and was hooked. No going back now. My wife is a convert too (who used to laugh at me).

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit

Looking for lighter choices -- at first

I was toting a 3 lb. tent, a sleeping bag, an air pad, an inflator and a pillow on kayak trips. My kayaking buddy got the idea we could shave some weight (poles at least) by going to hammocks. We'd carry a hammock, a blanket, a tarp, a pillow and suspension so the blanket would be less than the bag. The hammock + tarp would weigh less than the tent (no poles) and there would be no air mattress.

At that time, we knew NO ONE who was in that category.

Once we did this, we became less concerned about weight and more concerned about comfort. So we hammock camp.

We live in Tennessee where a tent is in every home and a hammock is new-fangled witchcraft. We don't care. One day, you won't either.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I did a lot of backpacking in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario Canada in the late 90's. Around 1999 when I got my first computer I discovered Clark Jungle Hammocks and thought that would be a good way to go because I was never comfortable on a Thermarest Pad in a Tent. I bought one but never ended up actually using it because life got in the way and my backpacking had to take a back seat. Fast forward to 2010 when I discovered Hammock Forums from hearing of it mentioned on Bushcraft USA. Coming here renewed my interest in backpacking and since the hammock I had was over 10 years old I decided to see what was available today.

Thanks to all the info here I was able to transition into being a hammock camper quite easily. I did not know anyone but since joining I have made some friends and have had some great experiences.

Take the leap! Worst case it's not for you and you can easily sell your gear here. Good luck!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    I've been sleeping in hammocks under stages for as long as I can remember. I have been converting the fringe around here

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Bought a HH & had it 2 years before I slept in it. Although I knew it made sense to carry a hammock rather than a tent, I felt it was a bit unsociable hanging alone while my mates were laughing & joking in their tents. I guess I kinda felt I'd be missing out on the jokes & banter everyone was having. I always packed the hammock in the car but never found an ideal time to use it.

Then one day the squad I was walking & camping with decided to do a walk & camp I had done only two weeks earlier on another trip and I didn't feel like repeating it. This was the ideal time to try out my hammock and I couldn't wait. I had the perfect spot in mind and as soon as the chance presented itself I headed off and set it all up for the first time in earnest.

Well, one glorious & blissful night's sleep later I woke up & had an overwhelming feeling of being well rested - no backache, no sore hips, no stiffness no bleary-eyedness... just up & ready to go.

I realised that for the first time in my life I had woken up in exactly the same position I had fallen asleep in. I had been more comfortable than I had ever been in 20 years of camping.

From that day to this I have not been in a tent, camped in a tent or carried a tent.

I liked the HH but the WBBB seemed to make more sense in it's design and just looked like a spaceship next to everything else. I grew to hate the bottom entry of the HH and struggled with a thermarest in it. The BB was the answer and I just had to have one.

It has surpassed all my hopes and has proven to be one of the best purchases I ever made. I gave up sleeping in a bed four months after I first slept in a hammock and to be honest my back hasn't been this good for this long since I first hurt it 25 years ago.

Now - if I have free time and it's a nice day, I head for the beach and string up the Blackbird. I just love chillin out and watching the boats on the Clyde as I relax with a cuppa in utter comfort.

I was the only one I knew that was interested in, or used, a hammock. None of my mates had any experience with them or had considered using them for camping. Now they've all borrowed one of mine (I have 3 now) and used them on a trip... converts, each and every one of them!

Best thing I ever did all my camping life was sleep in a hammock, especially my Blackbird.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Coffee rocks! I never even thought about a hammock. I really wanted to get in to hiking and my cousin suggested a hammock. I laughed at him and said ill keep my tent. Then he showed me his set up. Im hooked. Its still a leap. I bought a eno double nest made my own tarp and have slept in it once. In the rain. It was alot of fun. I cant wait to do it again.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast