Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Hammaka Bow Arch Clone?

My favorite hammock stand when it comes to looks is the Hammaka Bow Arch: http://www.hammocks.com/cart/iso.cfm...A021&img=inuse It is a very unique stand, and I would like to use one in my bedroom. However, it is $500! So, I am interested in a DIY version, and would like to recieve some input on it...

The stand is made of curved wood. I am assuming this requires a process that I am incapable of. Am I right?

If so, couldn't I just make a version that is multiple straight boards, instead of the curved boards?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm not a woodworker but I would assume that you would need some way of steaming the wood and then use a jig to give its curved shape. It looks like that is some pretty big pieces of timber you would be dealing with, making it harder to bend.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I'm not a woodworker but I would assume that you would need some way of steaming the wood and then use a jig to give its curved shape. It looks like that is some pretty big pieces of timber you would be dealing with, making it harder to bend.
    A jig would be needed regardless of bending technique but steaming is not the only option. Laminating thin boards to form the arch you want is a time honored technique and produces a plank which is very strong and solid. Laminating 1 X 4 boards could give you an arch of roughly 3.5 X 3.5 inches that would be very usable, although the size was chosen simply off the top of my head.

Use a good hide glue and clamp it down smoothly and evenly and trim off to the size you want. By the time you got done with the materials and tools you might be better off buying the unit, DIY virus not being considered. Obviously the DIY virus overrules all other option.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    That is what I was thinking...

I wonder, could I just replace the long, curved boards with several straight boards that accomplish the same basic shape? The shape I have in mind looks like a swingset, but instead of the hammock hanging from the top bar like the swings would, it hangs from the support bar between the legs. This is how the hammock attatches to the Bow Arch. I guess I don't see anything wrong, though, with hanging from the main crossbeam, to truely mimic a swingset. What are your thoughts about this?
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 06-20-2008 at 08:46.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Images
    http://www.allwoodwork.com/article/w...nding_wood.htm

This site explains a few different methods for bending wood. I have only started working with wood in the last 5 years so I am no professional but the time, materials, and techniques for reproducing this piece would in my opinion make it well worth the money for someone with no wood working skills or tools to just buy it. Now as for me I would try and build it just for the challenge. Which ever route you decide please keep us up to date and include pictures of the process if you DIY. Good Luck

Mike

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That is a much more complex design than it may appear. There are compound angles that need to be cut to make the joints meet and mesh at the proper angle. Those need to be well cut to make sure the forces would be distributed properly. This is not to say it can be done, but the straight line idea instead of the arch changes the direction and distribution of the forces. It seems to me the arch would distribute the force along the line fairly evenly whereas the straight lines would put an extra force factor on the joints. (I am no engineer so I may be all wet on that.)

While the function would be the same I don't think the you would find the form as appealing as the arch. Just my knee jerk reaction.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    While the function would be the same I don't think the you would find the form as appealing as the arch. Just my knee jerk reaction.
    I totally agree! However, I like the fact that there is no bar running underneath you, so I may still look into it.

Thanks, you all! Looking forward to more input!

Hammock
    Double Travel hammock
    Tarp
    ENO dry fly
    narwhalin, thanks for sharing that link. I may have to look into this one myself a bit.

Bending a solid peice of wood like that would not be fun and I doubt that I would go that way.

laminating smaller peices, as suggested is another option, and with the use of a couple different kinds of wood, could produce a very aesthetically pleasing outcome.

A third option that comes to mind is to create the curves from a single larger peice of wood. not sure on the dimensions that woudl be necessary, but it doesn't look like the arcs used are that deep. again, laminating small peices and cutting the arcs from them could be an option.

recreating a similar structure from straight peices is certainly feasible. Think trusses and let your creative side roam. If done right, it could be every bit as appealling as the original.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I totally agree! However, I like the fact that there is no bar running underneath you, so I may still look into it.

Thanks, you all! Looking forward to more input!
    If you have limited woodworking skills, and are considering a rectangular form of the Hammacka arch, then you may want to really consider a version of the Risk hammock stand. The Risk stand is really what you are describing.

As designed by Risk, it has a central beam on the floor, but it is a simple matter to replace the central beam with 2 outrigger beams to keep the floor under the hammock free of obstructions.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    As designed by Risk, it has a central beam on the floor, but it is a simple matter to replace the central beam with 2 outrigger beams to keep the floor under the hammock free of obstructions.
    Can you sketch or elaborate on "outriger beams?" I am sorry I don't quite understand what you mean. Would these have to be bolted to the floor?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast