Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

Ka-Boom! Tubular webbing is Strong but slippery!

I sat on the deck this afternoon in the sun with my favorite home-brew (Toad Spit) and proceeded to riped out the 4-ROWS of stitches in my Claytor JH ("new model" - stitched together double-bottom*) actually there's a fifth row inside! Whew!

Three beers later I had a 30" opening! (woohoo!) After I was sober and some careful sewing with the ole Singer I was ready to test out my now double layered JH with the Big Agnes mattress now inserted "between the sheets" so to speak. WOW! it was way comfortable and so comfy I fell asleep.

Then came the KA-BOOM! Holy guano Batman!
    I was abruptly deposited on the pine needle duff ...but BA saved the day (and my butt) and luckily survived the impact!! Have to say tubular webbing is nice stuff and very strong as I had chosen it for the hanging suspension OEM replacement but I'd forgotten it's also very dang slippery! The square knot SLIPPED! Oops! ...not nice as I was just about to catch that big brown in my dream!

So I dugged through my climbing gear bag and found some old chocks with spector(?) cord? Anyway I know this stuff is stronger than my chain I use on the tractor to pull the car out of the snow bank with. So with a couple of prusik knots I was back to snoozing in peace!

SO here's the pics:

It's time to go camping this weekend and swing amongst the trees in comfort and warmth!

*FYI - this Claytor JH ("new model" - stitched together double-bottom) was only an experiment of Tom's it's no longer being produced. They now come standard as double bottoms just like before.
    Last edited by goatman; 07-24-2008 at 19:32.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    square knots or reef knots as they also called should never be used for hanging, They upset very easily into half hitches which will slide here there and everywhere. There are plenty of knots that will work much better and hold much stronger that a square knot for the purposes of hanging something. Square knots are fine for bundling up sail fabric on a yard arm.. (reefing the sail) but are better ones for hanging suspensions.

I was testing my bridge hammock on the backyard stand. Tied a figure 8 on a bight (love that knot) in the suspension rope and then ran the webbing through the loop and tied a sheet bend. That thing wasn't going anywhere. (Course the fabric started to rip where I had had to take stitches out before cause I baloxed the structural seam. hehehe) But the knots held..... YEA!!!
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 07-24-2008 at 19:42.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I've had some ka-booms from slippery stuff too. Looking at your photos, I would have tried a water knot http://www.animatedknots.com/waterkn...=....&Website= . But you never know until you try.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I like how the words "Not For Climbing" are clearly visible on the biner. Do you feel safe using that biner? I've had those things (the "not for climbing" biners) stretch on me - haven't had one fail, but I don't trust them anymore.

Cool mod - way to make lemonade!

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images
    Hope you didn't scare P&R
    Looks like some fine stichin, glad you waited for the toad spit to wear a bit.
    Got to try the big agnes in the hammock trick

• + New Posts