Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Alafia

Spent New Years Eve in Alafia State Park, Fla. and there were some nice trees in the campsites. I had no issue with hanging there but I did not speak to any rangers during the night. There was nothing in the rules to indicate no hanging. Campsites were large and nicely spaced out.

Mule

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the update.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    Some florida state parks have sites marked for hammocks. That are also tent sites. The park near me has only 2 hammock sites. Luckily it caters to horses and we can hang from the horse tie out poles. Probable 100 spots that way. Even in the water retention area.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Webbing/ decenders
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlemule View Post
    Spent New Years Eve in Alafia State Park, Fla. and there were some nice trees in the campsites. I had no issue with hanging there but I did not speak to any rangers during the night. There was nothing in the rules to indicate no hanging. Campsites were large and nicely spaced out.

Mule

I'm planning on heading to Alafia in the next few weeks for some mountain biking. Any recommendation as to specific sites good for hammocks? Should I bring it up the topic during registration, or just hang it?

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    Don't expect Gold Head to conform yet.
    I just got off the phone with a ranger Craig and he said only a few state parks are allowing hammocks, it is in a test phase right now.

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    Don't tell em but I still sneak in and stealth camp, last two nights actually.

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    Glad to hear that the Suwanee River SP now allows hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by travt View Post
    I'm planning on heading to Alafia in the next few weeks for some mountain biking. Any recommendation as to specific sites good for hammocks? Should I bring it up the topic during registration, or just hang it?
    I think I probably got lucky but there was no mention in the rules. The rangers on duty in the office seemed pretty laid back I believe we were in site 6. My wife was in our tent so I was ready to bail if asked. Looks like great mountain biking if you don't mind a little sand.

Mule

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Webbing/ decenders
    Thanks for the info Mule. I hear the biking there is the best in FL so I'm looking forward to it. I'll have my tent with me if any issues arise with the rangers. One of the benefits of car camping is the ability to pack for every possible contingency.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I just spent almost 3 weeks camping in a wide variety of parks in the panhandle.

The biggest problem with hammocking in the parks is that they have removed most of the trees from the sites to make way for the larger RVs that frequent the parks. This leaves precious little choice of trees to hang from even when it's allowed.

Ochlockonee SP has one site set up with 3 6x6 posts at app 14' spacing intentionally set up for hammocks. Other than that, no hanging of anything allowed anywhere. They even provide posts at all sites equipped with clothesline so that no one hangs anything from their trees.

Grayton SP, don't even think about it!

Leon County has a couple of parks on the south side of Lake Talquin, one ONLY allows you to use a tent and the other is ONLY for RV's. I couldn't even stay at them because I had a hammock and a mini van conversion that wasn't recognized as a RV...sigh!

I managed to hang at Bear Lake in the Black River State Forest. Several of the sites in the water only section had trees that were reasonably spaced, I don't think any of the w/e sites would have worked. The park is a nice place to be in the off season, I was the only one in the section. BUT in high season, I wouldn't even think about it, it would be a zoo without barriers..

Wright Lake in the Appalachicola SF is another one that you'd be hard pressed to find 2 trees to hang from in most sites. You could go back into the scrub there on the perimeter sites but you'd have to deal with heavy ground cover.

I'm upgrading to a full size camper van before the next road trip. I'd prefer my hammock but it will be saved for interior trips in Algonquin.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast