Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skrewloose View Post
    Don't expect Gold Head to conform yet.
    I just got off the phone with a ranger Craig and he said only a few state parks are allowing hammocks, it is in a test phase right now.
    I thought the test phase was over. Or is he just behind on the regulation procedures?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I thought the test phase was over. Or is he just behind on the regulation procedures?
    The test phase IS over, so his response concerns me. I know Craig but I'm not sure if he keeps up with the changes. I'm still trying to get in touch with either the park mgr or asst mgr. My friend is a park volunteer and said they only have one site which out of all the sites they have doesn't make sense.

I'll try to get to the bottom of this. I just can't raise a lot of hell in this case due to our working relationship. Gold Head is part of my section for the Florida Trail so hopefully that'll work to our benefit, though.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    You're doing such a good job Jax! See ya at FH-4!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    Thanks Jax, greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I just spent almost 3 weeks camping in a wide variety of parks in the panhandle.

The biggest problem with hammocking in the parks is that they have removed most of the trees from the sites to make way for the larger RVs that frequent the parks. This leaves precious little choice of trees to hang from even when it's allowed.

Ochlockonee SP has one site set up with 3 6x6 posts at app 14' spacing intentionally set up for hammocks. Other than that, no hanging of anything allowed anywhere. They even provide posts at all sites equipped with clothesline so that no one hangs anything from their trees.

Grayton SP, don't even think about it!

Leon County has a couple of parks on the south side of Lake Talquin, one ONLY allows you to use a tent and the other is ONLY for RV's. I couldn't even stay at them because I had a hammock and a mini van conversion that wasn't recognized as a RV...sigh!

I managed to hang at Bear Lake in the Black River State Forest. Several of the sites in the water only section had trees that were reasonably spaced, I don't think any of the w/e sites would have worked. The park is a nice place to be in the off season, I was the only one in the section. BUT in high season, I wouldn't even think about it, it would be a zoo without barriers..

Wright Lake in the Appalachicola SF is another one that you'd be hard pressed to find 2 trees to hang from in most sites. You could go back into the scrub there on the perimeter sites but you'd have to deal with heavy ground cover.

I'm upgrading to a full size camper van before the next road trip. I'd prefer my hammock but it will be saved for interior trips in Algonquin.
    Just as a thought if you are going to be camping in a campground anyway, why not build a turtledog stand? The pack down reasonably well and then you don't have to figure out if they are allowed or not.

I realize this would not work in every instance, but it would definitely work in any instance where you could drive up to the site.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Trees are more fun.

Ok, it took longer than expected but it would appear (as I suspected) that Craig was misinformed. The fact that he still thought it was a trial period was clue #1. Here's the truth...

Sites 23, 24, 25, 36, and 37 in the Turkey Oak loop are designated hammock sites.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Looking for updated info.

The last time I see anything posted on this topic was April 2012.

I did find one park, Talbot Island, in N FLorida that actually has a map that lists the sites available for hanging. The Rangers and I talked about it, and while he was aware of the hammock issue and all, he said he did not know of anyplace that listed all the parks that allow it. Overall, he seemed very receptive to the whole thing. So far I have randomly checked out FL State Parks and can not find any others that have a similar section with listed available campsites.

I will keep scouring the topics here in case I missed something, but does anyone have an update?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxFFMedic View Post
    The last time I see anything posted on this topic was April 2012.

I did find one park, Talbot Island, in N FLorida that actually has a map that lists the sites available for hanging. The Rangers and I talked about it, and while he was aware of the hammock issue and all, he said he did not know of anyplace that listed all the parks that allow it. Overall, he seemed very receptive to the whole thing. So far I have randomly checked out FL State Parks and can not find any others that have a similar section with listed available campsites.

I will keep scouring the topics here in case I missed something, but does anyone have an update?

Thanks!
    I don't for State Parks, but...

...Welcome to HF's. There are going to be quite a few from Jacksonville coming to the 4th Annual Florida Hang this weekend.

Come enjoy some hang time in Ocala National Forest with about 150 other hangers of all ages, 2 and 4 legged friends.

*Sorry for hijacking the thread. Please go back to the regularly scheduled thread still in progress.*
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

ahhh, I'd love to but I am having minor surgery Friday and will be out of commission this weekend. When I was a younger mand and still felt myself to be 10 ft tall and bullet proof I might still have showed but things change.

As far as the state park issue, I'd skip them too, but I need the conveniences with a 3 yr old camping partner.

Thanks for the invite and I will try and make the next get together, big or small.

Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I just spent almost 3 weeks camping in a wide variety of parks in the panhandle.

Grayton SP, don't even think about it!

I managed to hang at Bear Lake in the Black River State Forest. Several of the sites in the water only section had trees that were reasonably spaced, I don't think any of the w/e sites would have worked. The park is a nice place to be in the off season, I was the only one in the section. BUT in high season, I wouldn't even think about it, it would be a zoo without barriers..
    Just a little west of Greyton SP is Topsail Hill Preserve SP that has a tent only section that has a few dedicated hammock sites.

I don't know if it's public knowledge yet, but Point Washington State Forest (not to be confused with state parks…) just installed four camp sites off from service road 7. I have a feeling it's still pretty secret, road seven doesn't even show up on their hunting/trail maps.

Blackwater State Forest (not to be confused with Blackwater State Park) does not restrict camping to campgrounds only. I have (primitive) camped out in random locations in that forest. My favorite is over at Red Rock Road at the cliffs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast