Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    We had a great meeting today, though. We walked the entire camping area at Little Talbot Island State Park and did surveys on 40 sites. We ended up with 16 that had suitable trees for hanging. Some of the sites could accommodate up to 4 hammocks while others could only fit one. I was really disappointed with some of the sites. They had gorgeous views of the marsh but no trees. We took good notes so hopefully the site descriptions at reserveamerica.com can be updated. I'm going to make other suggestions like min 12' straps due to the size and distance of some of the trees.
    Thanks for doing this!! I have never camped up there because of the no hammock rule, though that little trail is one of my favorites.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings
    I've hammock camped at Myakka State Park, and last weekend at Silver River State Park. The Rangers are fine with this as long as tree-huggers are used. They were very interested in the hammocks and LNT. Thanks to Samsara for working with the State Senator to get hammocks allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by engine386 View Post
    be sure to post a trip report on wekiwa...I'd be interested in going there
    it was a good weekend, the trees at my sight were a little close, there were a few backyard hammocks up (without straps)... we got in late so no ranger to ask, so I went ahead and setup, no one stopped, no notes left (as there was at Oscar Scherer sp?) All in all a good weekend, next time I need more bug dope though it was insane, they were waiting for us when we got out of the car, and as I got out of my BIAS bug net in the mornings...

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings
    I live about 4 miles from Oscar Scherer SP so will stop by and talk to the Rangers. They're pretty nice and I don't expect any problem hammocking there (except for those pesky mosquitoes!).

Quote Originally Posted by romany View Post
    I live about 4 miles from Oscar Scherer SP so will stop by and talk to the Rangers. They're pretty nice and I don't expect any problem hammocking there (except for those pesky mosquitoes!).
    They drove by multiple times, when we left the park for a little while in the afternoon they had left a note... its all good it is a really nice park...

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Thanks for your sacrifice Jaxs. Should I go make a donation for your transfusion?
    Please do!

I found one of those Off! personal skeeter things somewhere and picked up some refills for it today. We'll see if it works. I'm dreading next weekend. We're blazing (bushwacking) some new trail near Big Talbot. Only morons do this type of work in the middle of summer in FL. The land lays between two marshes. It's skeeter heaven.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Is there a running list yet of the parks that are currently participating in the pilot program?? I know we're supposed to contact Mr. Madden but as this thing grows it seems that will be a lot of folks sending a lot of e-mails to this one guy. I'd like to think that pretty soon the rangers will be trained and hanging will be "business as usual" at some of the state parks.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good question. If not I can put one up.

In the spirit of further promoting the pilot I spoke with one of the board members for the Florida Trail Association this afternoon. I should now be confirmed as one of the speakers for our upcoming regional conference.

I'm also going to try to make two more visits in the next few weeks. As Trail Coordinator my section runs from Gold Head Branch State Park to Stephen F Foster State Park. I hope to knock out both of those locations. We have a new manager at Gold Head but my section leader has a longstanding relationship with the assistant so I don't expect any issues.

Let's keep the wheels turning!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Is there a running list yet of the parks that are currently participating in the pilot program?? I know we're supposed to contact Mr. Madden but as this thing grows it seems that will be a lot of folks sending a lot of e-mails to this one guy. I'd like to think that pretty soon the rangers will be trained and hanging will be "business as usual" at some of the state parks.
    I made a post a month ago but nobody used it. Maybe a spreadsheet would be better.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Awesome work Jax. I will have to take advantage of the sites at Little Talbot. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast