Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mallet free tarp pegs/spikes?

I'd like to travel without a mallet or any kind of heavy tool used for driving objects into whatever. That means a 'push' type peg/spike would be ideal for my purposes. The idea is minimalism. Hitting a spike with a situational available tree branch would be great, but what if an adequate one isn't available? What if a striking noise is absolutely out of the question at times? Considering some of the undeveloped soils in western Wisconsin are rocky, I suppose another consideration would be a sharp edge. Considering I would be pushing against this spike with my hands sometimes, that means the surface area would have to facilitate a pain free push, or at least tolerable discomfort.

^^^Is there such a spike/peg on the market? An thoughts on the matter?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I use MSR ground hog stakes and have had some discomfort pushing them in with thin soled shoes up in Wausau. I have never handled them but the MSR carbon core stakes look like they might work for you. You'll pay about $7 each for them though.

A thought... I could devise a light portable tool specifically designed to push stakes into the ground and/or provide a striking surface. That way I don't have to rule out 'V' or 'Y' shaped stakes.

I like the head of those carbon core stakes, but the price sucks.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    If the ground is rocky, there are rocks which can be placed on the stake and then stepping on the rock to push in the stake. Or just use the rock to pound in the stake. If there are trees for hanging, there will be sticks one can use as tarp stakes too. If there is a rock inhibiting the stake, no mallet, etc... will drive the stake through it. Find a new spot an inch away for the stake. Angles and fulcrums are very important when determining where and how to put a stake into the ground. Done optimally, one doesn't need a giant stake.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Far from the cheapest option, a Gransfors Bruks mini belt hatchet. It servs many purposes and is a fine piece of gear here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bruk.../dp/B000WGVH04

Now the least expensive and more practical solution is a rock, branch, or small piece of metal like mentioned above.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i hung on a basalt river edge this past weekend, and was able to pound an msr ground into the earth with my mora knife.

unless you are car camping, i see no need to add items to your kit which serve only a singe purpose.

the Y-stakes---the mst groundhogs, or hf stakes in the store here, or the blue ones at diygearsupply or the coughlins at your local SG store, or the titanium ones elsewhere...... are all great options and handle most everything, and a rock will finish the job.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas flowing.

For the record, I travel via bicycle. Usually within 100 miles of the homestead, but occasionally further. I'm not a gram counter and I'm not a survivalist, but restrictions apply. I'd rather not carry more than my Leatherman and Swiss army knife. Typically, I wouldn't venture too far from a roadside, if possible. I'd point out that any sort of tool that has a reputation of being used as a weapon wouldn't be perceived well by locals if questioned.

It's not about what the stake can handle, it's about what a tool-free push of the hand or foot can handle.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images

Widgey Bar to the rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by pulsemod View Post
    It's not about what the stake can handle, it's about what a tool-free push of the hand or foot can handle.
    I usually just grab a stick from the ground. 1"x6" at least and use that to push the stakes in. Sometimes, I gotta round the end off with my knife and carve a slight groove in the tip for wire stakes. This has always worked for me, but I'm usually in areas with soft ground.

If you I needed a tool just for that job I would look at the Countycomm Widgy pry bar. Last weekend I was mentioning that I wanted one, and got the response "what would you use it for?" Well, here you go, stake push, along with a small compact pry bar that will save your fingernails.

www.countycomm.com/widgy.htm

EDIT: Almost forgot they also make them in Titanium, if you insist. Which of course I do.

www.countycomm.com/titaniumwidgy.html
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 04-25-2012 at 11:34.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

A rubber crutch tip with a metal disc inside, inverted over the stake. Easy on the hands and small and light weight.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I wonder how hard it would be to make a "pocket sized" pusher out of a block of wood. I'm thinking 3 or 4 inches square by 1 thick. Round it off so it fits your palm and cut a 1/4 inch deep pattern of your stake top in the bottom. Weight might not be that great but it'd be a whole lot smaller than a mallet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast