Washington Coast Clean Up 2012~Shi Shi Beach

The Washington Coast Clean Up is an annual one day event. I choose to make it a three day event.
    My day began early in the AM Friday April 20th. I picked up my Ground dwelling carpool buddy and son on the way to catch the Edmonds/Kingston Ferry. From the ferry ride, then the 4 hour drive to the coast. We managed to reach the beach by noon and set up camp.

This is where i discovered something horrifying. So how i missed a surprise left by the dam cat while packing. I did my best to field clean the soiled hammock, but had to deal with it. Took an hour power nap to prove i could deal the kitty shenanigans. Still preferable to sleeping on the ground.

After my nap i began collecting my first load of garbage, 6 bags balanced on each end of a drift wood stick over the shoulder, to haul to the dumpster. The trail by the way is 2 miles one way, from the beach to the trail head where the dumpster is located. So day one was in, out, in.....6 miles plus mileage zig zag search pattern on the beach.
    Then hit the sack....er hammock at sun set.

Saturday. Up at first light of dawn. Breakfast. Then more trash collection. Packed out my first load on Saturday before the first wave of day hikers, and back for more. While collecting my second load the day hiker reinforcements arrived. In fact, in the largest numbers i have seen at this beach yet.
    This clean up event is also a social event. Volunteers generally stop to chat with each other. While stopping to chat with a couple it was revealed that they were on Vacation from FRANCE!! and decided to join the clean up effort.
    By the end of Saturday i managed three round trip dumpster runs. 12 miles plus beach combing mileage.

Sunday, i was up at dawn again. Went for a pleasure stroll the down to Point of the Arches and back....5 miles. Collected some more trash. Broke camp...hiked out with another load of trash.

One full dumpster!

To the thousands of volunteers who flocked to the coast to pick up THANK YOU!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Those are some fantastic photos you have there! Wish there were more people who would put in their own time to clean up the world around us!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for your effort out there. Its amazing how much crap can come on to the beach area.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Great stuff, Hulk! Thanks for what you do. And thanks for sharing your experience and pictures with us.

Jay

• + New Posts