ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Walmart CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

DIY Gear Supply Bug Net

So as my first hammock-related DIY project, I decided to create a bug net based on DIY Gear Supply's Bug Net Cocoon (http://www.diygearsupply.com/diy_gui...gNetCocoon.jpg)

I pretty much followed the plans, with the exception of shortening the zipper from being the entire center to being just 40" long. I figured that'd be plenty big enough for me to get into and out of. Unfortunately I was wrong. While it's doable, it's not exactly easy.

The real issue I'm having with the net is that it's too small. When I have it attached to my ENO DN, I can't get a good diagonal lay. Anyone try this project and have the same issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've found that attached bugnets are tricky.
    The length down the centerline must match the ridgeline length, while the length along the edge of the bugnet must match the hammock's edge length. You have to solve a mathematical formula to get this right. It is a function of both the ridgeline length and the hammock edge length.

The greater the difference between ridgeline and hammock width, the wider the net can be. But, that net will have a shorter midsection parallel to the ridgeline.

Bottom line is that you can't simply make it as wide as you want; it has to conform to the hammock geometry.

Now the alternate approach would be something like Tree to Trail Gear is doing with their Switchback hammocks. They have a super wide netting but it's independent of the hammock geometry. This requires them to have a separate ridgeline for the netting only. That ridgeline has its own suspension as well. This concept provides a roomy "greenhouse" effect inside the netting. The downside is that you have one more thing to fiddle with during setup.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    You could try some pullouts as I did for my wife's GTUL.

Made things quite roomy in there.

You could give it a try first with a quarter on the inside of the bugnet and girth hitch your guy line on the outside "behind" the quarter, pull it out and stake it in the ground. This would prevent you from having to sew the pullout on just to see it doesn't quite work for your situation.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Walmart CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the response.

This one isn't actually an attached net, but I think your point still stands. Instead of doing measurements for myself I just trusted the template at DIY Gear Supply to be accurate for my hammock. I know ENO's are shorter than most hammocks which probably changes the geometry enough to make the standard measurements not work.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Walmart CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Tendertoe, the top of the bug netting hasn't been a problem for me. The issue was the net felt tight on the bottom of the hammock and it wouldn't allow me to get diagonal enough to be comfortable. I think I'd have to add material to the bottom seam to open it up to make it work better.

I just built the other DIY bug netting (the one with pockets) to go with my DIY double layer hammock, both from the same place. I also found that the bug net was too small. For me I think the diagonal cuts done on the corners are too deep. Instead of measuring 20 inches, I'd use 10 inches next time around. This then affects the side lengths as well.

In the end it turned out to be fine, as I just don't fully enclose the end with the velcro., but with your build you don't have this option.

dave

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Walmart CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dave, you're probably right about those diagonal cuts. I'm considering either opening up the bottom seem on this and adding material, or just scrapping it and making a bug tube. The material is cheap enough and I want something that's going to work well and be convenient.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xollox View Post
    Thanks for the response.

This one isn't actually an attached net, but I think your point still stands. Instead of doing measurements for myself I just trusted the template at DIY Gear Supply to be accurate for my hammock. I know ENO's are shorter than most hammocks which probably changes the geometry enough to make the standard measurements not work.
    Tendertoe, the top of the bug netting hasn't been a problem for me. The issue was the net felt tight on the bottom of the hammock and it wouldn't allow me to get diagonal enough to be comfortable. I think I'd have to add material to the bottom seam to open it up to make it work better.
    Hey Xollox,
    So the netting height isn't quite right for your hammock? The length looks good on your pictures, and so does the height, but when you get it you're finding that it's too snug?

Do you think if the angles weren't so steep from the ends that it would give you the extra room to lay diagonally? It worked well for me, but if it's causing trouble for you I might want to tweak the dimensions on it, make the whole thing larger to fit more hammock designs - I don't want people going to all the hassle of building a net and it not fitting properly.

If you want to widen the bottom, let me know and I can send you some scrap NoSeeUm to add on.

- Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Walmart CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow, Scott, thanks for that offer! I think I'll be OK with what I have on hand but I'll let you know if I don't and maybe you can ship it with my next order (: That's very generous of you!

I've taken a couple pictures to maybe help diagnose the issue. One is in line with the hammock, and one is diagonal. Not sure if it's my hammock hanging saggier than most, the stretchy nature of the ENO's or perhaps my wide "shoulders" that are causing the issue. Definitely seems like some extra material in the corner would resolve the issue, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Wow, Scott, thanks for that offer! I think I'll be OK with what I have on hand but I'll let you know if I don't and maybe you can ship it with my next order (: That's very generous of you!

I've taken a couple pictures to maybe help diagnose the issue. One is in line with the hammock, and one is diagonal. Not sure if it's my hammock hanging saggier than most, the stretchy nature of the ENO's or perhaps my wide "shoulders" that are causing the issue. Definitely seems like some extra material in the corner would resolve the issue, though.
    Thanks so much for posting this Xollox. I'm going to remove the instructions on that one and change them up to better work with a wider variety of hammocks. I think you're right on - it needs to have a longer circumference.

Also, can you PM me with the name you ordered from DIY Gear Supply under? I want to set you up with a coupon to take off the cost of the net on your next order.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast