Thread: mayan sag?

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

mayan sag?

So ive been sleeping in my DIY ripstop hammock every night for a few weeks now, but Its just not quite wide enough to stay super comfy night after night. So i got back on here and started doing some research on what the 24/7 hangars are using. I settled on using a nylon Mayan because i would like to be able to use it outside as well, I couldn't find any Brazilians that were anything but cotton, I picked up one of these, XXL mayan, got it delivered yesterday and spent my first night in it last night.

It was honestly one of the worst nights of sleep ive had in a hammock or normal bed in a long time. So many people love these im 90% sure its my set up that caused me so much grief.

so how are you guys setting up your mayans? the over all length of the hammock is 14'8", and my mounts are 14' apart (the min hammocks.com recommends). I tried to sleep angled, the same as my DIY, and during the night i somehow ended up laying parallel, and i tried perpendicular to the way
    it is hung and either my head flopped off the back side or the weave pulled my head backwards.

I know settings for each person will differ but im just looking for something to at least get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You're only giving it 8" of sag, so it's no surprise that it was uncomfortable. Mayans generally get the most sag of any of my large hammocks. If you look at the picture in the link you provided, you'll see how much sag there is between anchor and bottom of the bed. I actually put more sag than what's pictured into my Mayans.

Are you connecting to permanent anchor points in the wall/ceiling, using a stand, or hanging outside? Ideally, I suspect you'd want the anchor points about 12' apart (or slightly less) and probably about 7' high. That will give you a nice U-shape and still keep you off the ground at the low point. From there you can tweak your way to comfort.

A lot of folks down south, way south, sleep in them perpendicular. I don't, but my sag is enough that I could if I wanted. Better to have too much sag in a Mayan and work your way to more shallow until you find your sweet zone IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    i tried mounting it a few diff ways, the 8" sag being on of them, i even put my whoopie slings on it to get more sag but i suspect the mounts are just to far apart to get a good amount. the anchors are into the wall studs at 7'3" so i will just move them to a diff stud to shorten the distance

Your threads on mayans are the reason i ended up in one, thank you for the help!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Go find some trees first. Seriously, you don't want to go filling your walls with holes in search of the sweet zone. Take a tape measure to a park and go nuts. When you find the right distance/height ratio, just take your measurements home with you. That will save you a bunch of work on the walls, plus get you outside with your Mayan. Mayans are happier outdoors anyway. Think of it as a free-range hammock.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts