diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images

Passthrough Taut Ridgeline Mod - Thoughts?

My Switchback is currently en route to 2Q & ZQ for some netting repairs (I sat on the net when returning from a late night nature call, then tried to lay down ). There are a few other mods I had in mind that she's going to be working on for me, but one thing that's been circling my brain is a way to improve the internal ridgeline as well as spreader bar attachment options. That, along w/ a proir mod to my Skeeter Beeter, have resulted in this idea for a pass through taut ridgeline instead of the internally tied off one.

It would:
    • Allow for heavier objects to be hung from the ridgeline, such as a RL organizer or small electric lantern.
    • Let the netting to shift horizontally along the ridgeline without bearing any of the pulling forces keeping it aloft.
    • Still allow the netting to be rolled up & tied off, with the ridgeline still accessible once rolled up.
    • Eliminate the need for proper spreader bars or smooth sticks of a more precise length in order to use the spreader loops.
    • Weigh less than the current shock cord & guy line setup. (admittedly it's just a few grams).
    • Still allow for SB/rip waverly netless mod

I haven't commenced work on this, but I'm planning to (while enlisting ZQ's expertise if/where needed). Any feedback, warnings, alternative ideas, etc would be very much welcomed.

This is based on the SRL mod I performed on my Skeeter Beeter. Here are two pics for reference:

This is basically a pass through structural ridgeline, which is just a 1.75mm zing-it whoopie. You can see I added tabs of grosgrain to the end of netting, sewn onto the hem of the channel, which I melted small holes through to allow the RL to pass through. The netting isn't attached to the RL beyond this, and can be tugged in either direction without damage. This works great since the Skeeter has a more traditional 30 degree hang angle, which keeps the RL well above me. The SB hangs closer to 20, so a RL passing through near the channel ends would put it too low. Dale has solved that by including a ridgeline that is attached internally to the netting, which when rigged is a comfortable height above you (pic from spaceweaseal):

With the Switchback in mind, a pass through non-structural taut ridgeline would be a pretty nice upgrade. Using the top SkBt pic as a reference, the channel end of the SB would be below the taut RL, and the RL itself would extend to the tree and hook a MSH or tree hugger.

Here are my thoughts on why this mod would offer the above mentioned improvements:

On the stock setup, I'm not totally comfortable with how taut I need to tie it to prevent sag when using a RL org, lantern, handing my knife etc. and the grosgrain loops do not play nice w/ non straight, non smooth bars (e.g. sticks). Any weight on the line has to be taken into consideration, and getting into and out of the hammock exacerbates this. With this mod since the ridgeline is now held taut by the attachment at the hammock suspension (i.e. MSH) and not the shockcord tieouts on the net, there is no sag regardless of how much I hook to it (inside or outside of the hammock), how much weight is in the hammock (pulling down), or what type of spreader bar is used. Most importantly, this can be done while reducing the chance of damaging the netting through use.

The pass through could be at the same point where the stock ridgeline is attached to the grosgrain strip. The entire stock cordage could be removed and be replaced w/ lighter cordage. At the attachment point a small hole could be melted. You can see in my Skeeter photo there's a tiny gap between the RL and grosgrain tab; this could be solved using a small rubber patch sewn on or slipped into a grosgrain patch stiched on three sides. The rubber would have a slit or punch hole in it and act as a gate. This would allow a RL to pass through, while offering true bug-sealing capabilities.

The replacement RL would actually be 3 pieces - a middle section w/ two fixed loops on the end made to match distance between exit points in bug netting, and two end sections which would just be whoopie slings. Fixed loop of each WS would be larks headed to the middle section inside the netting. Girth of the knot would act as a stopper against the rubber gate to allow for some tension when pulling the netting out, but under any sudden/excessive load these would just slip through the slit and the netting wouldn't be pulled along.

As a side note to the rubber gate idea, the stock tie outs give you the option of securing the netting at the tree/hammock suspension, or if using a tarp you can tie to the tarp pullout on the RL as well. I think the pressure points provided by the larks head knot & rubber gate gives the same option while alleviating any bunching of the netting in the middle that would occur when the tie outs are above the netting (at the tarp tieout) as opposed to inline with it when tied to the suspension. Stated differently, this would enforce more of a trapezoid shape in the RL instead of an arc. I have some lingering doubts about this, and testing would need to be done, but think the theory is sound.

The increased options re: the spreader bars is the other main benefit of this mod. Now any type of spreader bar or misshapen stick could be laid across the ridgeline without causing more/additional sag. The grosgain tabs currently there for smooth bars could be replaced w/ small shockcord loops w/ cord locks or nacrabiners to hold a variety of curved, bent, or roughly textured bark stick in a variety of diameters that could not be easily slid through the grosgrain loops. And the grosgrain strips that run from zipper to zipper acts as a barrier to prevent snagging the net on any rough bark on the stick. Plus, if you have a knife handy cleaning up a stick for this purpose and adding notches to assist with positioning is a breeze.

Here's a pic from Acer which demonstrates how I'd attach sticks or bars to the adjustable shockcord loops replacing the stock grosgrain loops:

One more side thought on the zipper-to-zipper grosgrain strips.. If this were adopted as a design change instead of a mod, I'm not sure what role or functions the zipper-to-zipper grosgrain strips would serve. Since the net tieouts are no longer supporting the ridgeline or acting in a damage limitation role, a shorter length strip could be useful to secure whatever kind of loop is deemed best for spreader bars. As a mod though, it doesn't make sense to try to remove the stock strips of course.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Hope the length/detail didn't scare anyone away!

Anyway, tested some sticks this weekend w/ the Skeeter Beeter. It has a bit more netting that the Switchback, and I think the added grosgrain strips and the tautness of the ridgeline exit point where the stick crosses the netting will add some needed stability. The elastic strips on the Skeeter are definitely easier to work w/ than the grosgrain loops on the Switchback, so I think replacing them w/ adjustable shockcord loops will work like a charm.

Also tested knot size using larks-headed zing it, will work fine as a stopper. Now to locate something to use as the rubber gate.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here is one where you don't need to do any damage to your hammock. I used much thinner shock cord for this mod. The pics explain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    My Switchback is currently en route to 2Q & ZQ for some netting repairs (I sat on the net when returning from a late night nature call, then tried to lay down ). There are a few other mods I had in mind that she's going to be working on for me, but one thing that's been circling my brain is a way to improve the internal ridgeline as well as spreader bar attachment options. That, along w/ a proir mod to my Skeeter Beeter, have resulted in this idea for a pass through taut ridgeline instead of the internally tied off one.

It would:
    • Allow for heavier objects to be hung from the ridgeline, such as a RL organizer or small electric lantern.
    • Let the netting to shift horizontally along the ridgeline without bearing any of the pulling forces keeping it aloft.
    • Still allow the netting to be rolled up & tied off, with the ridgeline still accessible once rolled up.
    • Eliminate the need for proper spreader bars or smooth sticks of a more precise length in order to use the spreader loops.
    • Weigh less than the current shock cord & guy line setup. (admittedly it's just a few grams).
    • Still allow for SB/rip waverly netless mod

I haven't commenced work on this, but I'm planning to (while enlisting ZQ's expertise if/where needed). Any feedback, warnings, alternative ideas, etc would be very much welcomed.

This is based on the SRL mod I performed on my Skeeter Beeter. Here are two pics for reference:

I'd love to see how this would work with the Switchback.

Not that big of a deal to just use the traditional ridgeline pullouts that comes with the Switchback, in theory, this would be a nice mod though.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Here is one where you don't need to do any damage to your hammock. I used much thinner shock cord for this mod. The pics explain.
    Your shock cord tie outs are a more elegant solution to the stock cordage, but not sure how they address the RL max load w/o sag or "needs to work better w/ sticks because I'm not carrying spreader bars" points.

Maybe it's me.. I like shockcord for tensioning lines, but not as cordage to hang things from. I also like them for adjustable sized loops that need to secure things (like sticks!)

Your third picture showing your BD bars has made me think a bit about the lateral forces applied to the spreader tabs, i.e. the shockcord tieouts don't just tension the internal RL, they keep the bars stable. I think I'll be okay with my plans for the larks head stopper knots on the inside of the netting ( <-- tie out - rubber gate | larks head - RL --> ), but I'll have to make the RL w/ a constrictor bury (whoopie sling) to be able to fine tune the distance, and perhaps try 2.2mm zing-it as well for slightly more girth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I'd love to see how this would work with the Switchback.

Not that big of a deal to just use the traditional ridgeline pullouts that comes with the Switchback, in theory, this would be a nice mod though.
    Agreed. I'll take photos as I go along, other than time-consuming hand stitches I think it's really straightforward. Won't be awhile yet until I get it back from 2QZQ though, I'm having ZQ do the RW netless mod and might be getting a shelf put in, then I'll work on all of the above (phew) when I get it back.

Flickr
    YouTube

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

re:

The shockcord pulled snug makes the ridge line pretty taunt, enough to hang a headlamp and my glasses. As for the other stuff in my hammock phone, book, and other small odds and ends I just use the pockets it came with. As for the ridge line holding up an organizer with weight it's not going to work with my setup. The idea of a SRL will work, I have done it on a DYI SB I made. The only disadvantage is there is a lot of extra netting. I also didn't use spreader bars when I used that setup. What I have found with a lot of trial and error the setup I have now works great for me. Play around with it and maybe you will come up with the next great mod.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Ah.. see I'm a head-right feet-left sleeper 90% of the time (other 10% are when I'm too tired to bother shifting around), so the net pockets got in my way. I knew this about the design before I purchased it though, planned on figuring something out. Admittedly I didn't experiment a lot w/ the stock RL to see exactly how much I could hang before it sagged too much. I suppose a few sliding knots would prevent items from slipping towards the center, but as you mentioned a RL organizer for phone/book/etc. would probably be a bit too much.

2Q & ZQ are going to be adding an external attachment point along the zipper hem for one of their RL organizers so I'll be able to make use of it when in netless mode, so it makes sense for me to have a more rigid RL option when I want it inside the hammock. I've also provided them w/ an idea for a head-end shelf/bowl which I'm hoping she'll be able to accomodate (think peak bag, without the bag), so it'll provide another place to stash stuff.

Re: the extra netting, perhaps the most useful mod I've got in mind is actually the one that will make using sticks as spreader bars more hammock friendly. We shall see.

I think "the next great mod" may be a stretch, but hopefully some combination of the mods I'm attempting will prove useful to someone.. thanks for your input.

Flickr
    YouTube

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

RE:

Post pics when you get it back, I would love to see all you tweaks.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I am also very interested as my SB is my current go-to hammock. My biggest gripe is the use of sticks as spreader bars. I am usually tired enough after a day of hiking that I wind up not even putting them in a lot of times, or forgetting to do so and then trying to rig them in the dark after my tarp is set. That is no fun at all.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I've been experimenting a bit. Have found a way to simplify the ridgeline idea, just requires more adjusting.. not sure how I feel about it. Doesn't require any holes, but involves tensioning 3 lines instead of 1.

Re: the spreader bar loops, I've definitely hit upon something, just haven't had a chance to do the needed sewing. Small grosgrain strips which allow a shockcord loop to pass beneath are working well, for sticks and securing the netting when rolled up.

This one has to be redone, not where it belongs. On the end loops the grosgrain will extend to the top of the loop, which act's as the end "wall" for spreader bars, so no difference there. The SC works great w/ sticks though, as long as you can get them more or less balanced.

Flickr
    YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast