JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps

Missouri Hang

We should have one soon before it gets too hot.

I would prefer a backpacking/hang trip where we hike to our campsites and not centralized at a parking lot.

Anyone else interested? I'd like to make this happen in May and open to any and all suggestions, just depends on who is interested.

The Bell Mountain Wilderness near Potosi, MO would be a great spot with one of the best views in Missouri.

http://bellmountain.baxpax.org/

Hawn State Park is also a good option near Ste. Genevieve, MO.

http://hawnstatepark.baxpax.org/

Let me know what you guys think.
    Last edited by JBizzle; 04-27-2012 at 09:38.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Tempted but don't think I can make it. I've already arranged a local trip here back to Woodridge for my sons and a couple of my workmates on the weekend of the 5th & 6th. Not sure momma will be willing to let me go out on two runs back to back.

I'm really wanting to get out and check out Bell Mountain tho, after hearing you talk about it at the KC hang. Not to mention you've gotta check out the mods I've had done to my tarp since then.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    I've made quite a few changes as well! Actually I don't think I'm using anything I used at the last hang. lol

Actually was out at Woodridge last weekend. Setup camp alone, along the lake, at a fantastic spot. About dark, groups started staggering in with sleeping bags filled with gear tossed over their shoulder and full sized coolers. I think most people made a few trips back to the car for more stuff. There was a group over my left shoulder up on the hill and 2 groups over my right up on the other hill, then another group came as it was almost dark. They ended up camping about 50ft away from me and I was kinda mad. They were definitely ground dwellers, but they brought along a ENO hammock. I watched him (plain as day) for about 45 minutes trying to string that hammock between two trees, before I decided to head over and see if I could help him out. He didn't really want any help, but after asking him multiple times and saying, "Let's hang this bad boy", he agreed. He was trying to use the full length of his suspension strap and was trying to find a limb high enough to compensate (like 20' high). I laughed and had to grab the strap out of his hand. 30 seconds later, he was hanging.

Turned out all 4 groups knew each other and recognized each other by their voices, which seemed to be carrying forever! They used underneath my hammock suspension as a hallway to get from one groups site to the other about every 15 minutes for the remainder of the night and into the morning. About 6:30am the sun was peaking over the horizon and I packed my gear and headed for the Jeep. I think they were finally heading to bed.

I guess this is just a little warning if you aren't already aware of what happens on the actual trail after dark. There was multiple stereos going, people talking at full volume, a guitar player/singer (pretty good actually) and they were yelling at full volume ALL NIGHT LONG! I didn't want to spoil the fun, so I just laid in my hammock and waiting for morning. I guess I'm getting old and boring.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been planning a trip up Bell Mt again around that time, but I'm doing the family camping thing that particular weekend. It really is a beautiful trail with a lot of views along the way. My avatar to the left was taken there.
    I would really enjoy getting some fellow hangers together if we can work out a weekend. Seems free weekends in the spring/summer are very hard to come by.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Man...sorry you had such a bad run out at Woodridge. I've normally been far enough off the trail that it's not too bad, but that's just rude that they were cutting back and forth through your site.

I've normally only had issues like that camped out up near the trailhead where we stayed for the group hang. Folks there can stay loud most of the night, but normally when I've gone out deeper in it gets quieter pretty quick.

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Will stay tuned, however thats Mothers day weekend I believe. I'm not sure if we're hosting that sunday :^(
    Good idea'r, I'm itching to get out.

Marmaduke would have handled those noisy campers last weekend. He's even camo, can sneak up closer before growling.
    Last edited by fuhgawee; 04-27-2012 at 08:26.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Man...sorry you had such a bad run out at Woodridge. I've normally been far enough off the trail that it's not too bad, but that's just rude that they were cutting back and forth through your site.

I've normally only had issues like that camped out up near the trailhead where we stayed for the group hang. Folks there can stay loud most of the night, but normally when I've gone out deeper in it gets quieter pretty quick.
    Yeah, like I said, it was peaceful when I setup camp, but things changed after dark. I was just unlucky and didn't know what to expect. There are plenty of places to hide out, I'll just have to be more covert next time. Lesson learned, I like that park.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
    Will stay tuned, however thats Mothers day weekend I believe. I'm not sure if we're hosting that sunday :^(
    Good idea'r, I'm itching to get out.

Marmaduke would have handled those noisy campers last weekend. He's even camo, can sneak up closer before growling.
    Yup, looks like it is. Seems like there is always something that COULD keep me from the woods every single weekend. Maybe we should shoot for the following weekend if more people can make it that weekend instead. Seems like Missouri hangs are hard to get going. I'm still open for anything. We only live once, so why not hang ourselves before it's too late?
    JBizzle

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I am really interested in a Missouri hang, but that weekend is the South Eastern Illinois Hang. I have already committed to going and am looking forward to it.

If you move the date I would jump on the opportunity to go along. I am not sure what weekend I have available in May but I will continue to watch this thread and see if the date changes.

Thanks
    Digitizer101

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd be good to go the following weekend.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast