Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Typically the materials that are used by our cottage makers has a very good DWR, which for the most part will deal with rain splash, and light moisture!
    At a minimum, this is what I would expect from any kind of legitimate outdoor gear. The tarp I purchased has doors and is marketed as bad ***. I figured a lot of weather protection would come from the tarp. In my mind, the UQ is mostly meant for temperature protection. I'm not a hardcore woodsman, far from it. I don't need impenetrable protection, but I would like a piece of mind.

Thank you for all the replies. It's appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I'm 6'-6", and use a HammockGear Phoenix UQ and love it. The only time I would consider a full length UQ is for winter use, but that's just me. Some people like them, but I have never been cold enough in my hammock to make me want one. In winter I just use a set of down booties and throw a pad under my feet, has worked great so far but I will most likely be getting a full length for next winter.

Another thing I have heard is the full length quilts not fitting the Blackbird the greatest, making people do some special rigging of the UQ in the footbox area, but I can't speak from experience on this. Maybe someone with the full length UQ and a Blackbird can chime in?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    I offer a LONG (83") underquilt on my site that is 6" longer and additional down for a nominal charge. I'm 6' tall and the REG (77") works for me, add another 6" and it would work for me at 6'6". There are no hard and fast rules for quilt length to height ratio as everyone has a slightly different way of sleeping. Some straight sleepers, bent knees, fetal position, side sleepers, back sleepers, etc... I use a high quality DWR finish on the outer shell to protect against spray and blowing rain. With proper tarp placement and site selection you can protect quilts from any heavy rains.

I also do custom work to your exact requirements as do several other vendors on here... Hope that answers some of your questions.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The areas of people's bodies that tend to get cold are the butt and shoulders, right? The areas that press against the hammock the most due to body curvature and uneven weight distribution (assuming they sleep on their back). I'm aware "everyone is different," but these are the areas most seem to complain about from what I can tell. I'm thinking 3/4 length would work for my needs.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsemod View Post
    Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm always skeptical about "our stuff will fit you" claims. Those of you who are tall understand, those who fit within the bell curve don't.

If you're in excess of 6'4", what UQ are you using?

In general, what kind of UQ design characteristics are essential?

Thanks for reading.
    I'm 6'5" tall and have both a WB Yeti and a HG Phoenix. Both work well for me, though I get a bit more coverage and margin of error forgiveness with the bigger Phoenix.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    In winter I just use a set of down booties
    This sounds nice.

I'm thinking the end of my mummy bag (closed) and a pair of my thick Carhartt socks would keep me warm down to the 30s. I doubt I would camp in temps less than that if I could help it.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I'm 6'5" tall and have both a WB Yeti and a HG Phoenix. Both work well for me, though I get a bit more coverage and margin of error forgiveness with the bigger Phoenix.
    How are you dealing with coverage of the rest of your legs?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    The areas of people's bodies that tend to get cold are the butt and shoulders, right? The areas that press against the hammock the most due to body curvature and uneven weight distribution (assuming they sleep on their back). I'm aware "everyone is different," but these are the areas most seem to complain about from what I can tell. I'm thinking 3/4 length would work for my needs.
    CBS is most commonly cause by gaps between quilt and hammock. The colder it is the more important proper setup comes into play. Having UQ suspension set up correctly as well as end channels will help prevent those gaps and cold drafts from creeping into the UQ. Down draft collars are becoming more popular to help "seal" the ends of the UQ to the hammock.

If your thinking 3/4 what are you planning for legs, shoulders, and head. Those area may be off the UQ and will need to be considered.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Images
    The areas of people's bodies that tend to get cold are the butt and shoulders, right? The areas that press against the hammock the most due to body curvature and uneven weight distribution (assuming they sleep on their back).
    That's pretty much it, except the lower back/kidney area can take a beating also. HH used to have- for the SS- one full length pad, then for colder temps offered an additional torso pad more or less doubling the thickness from shoulders to butt, and then one more smaller pad meant to cover the kidney areas. Ending up with 3 layers at the kidneys. And this is amazingly effective.

The legs ( maybe not counting the feet) seem to require much less for most people. Many folks are able to get by with a much thinner pad for the legs than they would need under their torso.

I'm aware "everyone is different," but these are the areas most seem to complain about from what I can tell. I'm thinking 3/4 length would work for my needs.
    Probably will, and then you don't really need to much consider your height. But now, you are going to need a leg pad.

How are you dealing with coverage of the rest of your legs?
    Leg pad.

Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    If your thinking 3/4 what are you planning for legs, shoulders, and head.
    You tell me... You're the designer. Why would one choose a 3/4 length UQ other than weight savings?

I don't know. Is a full length UQ fool proof? Fool proof on a WBBB or HH Safari?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast