HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Thumbs up Bumper Week...

What a great week it has been!

I lucked upon a used WBBB 1.1 dbl for a great price, which settled the mental debate I had been having over the the Double or Single.
    With luck, it will be here tomorrow, in time for a weekend campout...

I ordered set of Mountain Goat Mesh Tarp Sleeves (should be here next week)...

Florida State Parks are now hammock friendly...

Three friends committed to doing an AT section this Fall...

I picked up some AmSteel to make new whoopies for my new (to me) BB...

I picked up the last of the supplies I need to finish rebuilding my canoe (3 day trek scheduled for Memorial Day weekend).

With all that going on, I hardly know what to do with myself.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Move here, work, and go on call for the month of May for federal jury duty in my place. You can use my canoe in your spare time. I'll fill in for you there.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

First hang in my new Blackbird a resounding success!

First, I would like to extend many thanks to HAPPY CAMPER! She posted her BB 1.1d, which I was fortunate enough purchase at a very reasonable price. She washed the hammock and had it in the mail in time to use this weekend. It arrived on time and was in marvelous condition. I cannot imagine it looking any better if it was new! I have never had a problem purchasing used used gear online, but HC really made this a pleasant experience. Thank you!

The Blackbird arrived in the mail during the day on Friday, and I could hardly wait to get home to see it and get it ready for the weekend. My son had a 6pm meeting, which gave me 3 hours to prep the new hammock before we had to leave. However, before I left work Friday, I found out his meeting was cancelled, so all that time I had set aside to strip my Skeeter Beeter of it's whoopies and anything else I could salvage was reduced to barely 60 minutes.

The BB was equipped with standard straps, which I wanted to swap out for my whoopies. I figured that it would be easier to use a system I was familiar with than to learn a new method of hanging, especially as I would be arriving and setting up after dusk, even with the earlier departure. My first challenge came when I removed the whoopies from the my old hammock. One was fine, but the locked brummel on the other was broken or undone. I set about to re-bury the bitter end, but for whatever reason, it would not feed right, and I could only feed the bury about ˝ way in. I tried, and retried, and tried again! I kept working it with my left hand until I had actually worked a blister on my finger! I finally gave up (after about 45 mintues of frustration) and simply tied a good knot in the end of the bury tail. I wasn't happy with the solution, but I had plenty of extra Amsteel, and I hoped I could make a new whoopie when everyone was hanging out after we set up our campsite later.

Finally, I got things put away and loaded. Setup, even in the dark was pretty straight forward. In addition to the whoopies, I had temporarily transferd my side pull outs to the BB; it was a good temporary "fix," but I knew I would make adjustments here later. Overall, it set up quick and hastle free. I sat in the hammock briefly, and was satisified for the moment (my knot held and didn't drop me on the ground).

My real focus was on making the new whoopies. When I finally got down to the dining hall for the evening social, I sat down and started to make the my new suspension. I drew a small crowd, who took a real interest in what I was doing. Now I had hung for nearly 60 nights, mostly at scouting events, but never had there been any really interest in my hammock. This night was different. No less than 10 people took an interest in my making whoopies. Whereas I had such a hard time at home repairing my old whoopie, it only took me about 20 minutes to make 2 new ones, and that included describing and demonstrating each step of each one to the small crowd I had around me.

About 11pm, I headed up back to the campsite, and in about 3 minutes in the dark, I stripped off the "defective" whoopie and had replaced it with a new one. I tested it, and satisified, I was in the hammock and asleep almost immediately!

Being dark, aside from the comfort, it was hard to really judge the Blackbird, but by morning, the special qualities became evident. In my Skeeter Beeter, I usually slept with my cell phone (for the alarm app), my headlamp, and my reading glasses on my chest, as I had no other place to put them. Now with the shelf, I could easily put them safely out of the way without risk of being crushed. The zipper on the BB is lower on the side than the SB, so when I sit in the hammock, the BB does not pinch up under my knees, and in fact it is quite comfortable. As comfortable as my SB was, the BB is a magnitude beyond that.

Later on Saturday, I had the chance to lay down for a few minutes. This turned into an hour nap. I really love this hammock! Can't wait to get out in it again soon.

Ahhh. Life is Good!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic's Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Its nice when a plan comes together congrats on the new hammock

• + New Posts