Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp

Sleeping with JRB 3 season quilts

I plan on purchasing both a JRB No Sniveller (overquilt) and a Hudson River Quilt (underquilt) in the near future, but am interested in the temp ratings. I've been told by one of the Jacks that these quilts are rated down to the low 30s.

But I'm not sure what that means. Does that means low 30s when sleeping with long johns? Or is that low 30s with long johns and a fleece? Or is it low 30s with both, plus a high loft insulation layer?

I know that comfort in the cold is dependent on each individual, but I'm wondering if I was layered up if I could take these quilts to the ~mid-high teens . . .

What are your experiences with these quilts? I'd also be interested in hearing from those with experience with the Nest and NS as well, as the Nest is essentially the same quilt as the Hudson River, just made for the HH.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have the Nest and No Sniveller. I'm a JRB bridge hanger as well. Nice choice.
    I've been in temps around 10 degrees with my No Sniveller and pads. Layering is the key.
    4-5 pairs of top and bottom thermals. Fleece blanket. Balaclava, gloves. TOASTY.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-26-2008 at 06:10.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    You'll find that the JRB quilts are an excellent starting point from which you can adjust to different conditions. It can't be said that any single piece of gear is good for a certain temp under all conditions. But, for their weight, their ease of set-up, and their adaptation for integration with other items, they can't be beat. Good Choice.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I don't like sleeping in a lot of layers if I can help it. Usually I sleep in long johns and maybe trousers and shirt, sometimes a fleece jacket. I found out last winter that the no sniveler will indeed give me a comfortable night's sleep at 25F. Jacks have been modest in their ratings. This is really great gear.
    The most important thing is getting it adjusted correctly. Last year I was using a Claytor Jungle. This year, (: I am using a JRB or a DIY bridge! I actually think that with the bridge it will be even easier to adjust for no gaps and max loft.
    There is no better way in my opinion to layer than to add another JRB quilt. I have the NS and the Rag Mountain NS. I am acually kicking around the option of selling my Speer Snugfit and getting another JRB quilt, probably the Stealth to layer on the bottom with.
    I have a summer 40 degree sleeping bag with 900 fill and a winter 15 degree bag with 800 fill so I could use them for top quilts, but neither of them stuffs as nice as the JRBs.
    With our JRB Bridges, however, I can put my mat in the sleeve and not even know it's there. Since I use a mat to set on anyway, I will probably never need to double up on the quilts. Ain't Life Grand! Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Excellent. Although sleeping with multiple layers isn't optimal, it's nice to know that one can stretch the bottom end with layers if need be.

I'm what is known as the "fair weather hiker" and don't plan on being out when the weather is foul (as cool as camping is, I'd rather be snuggled with my son and wife by the fireplace if I know that it's going to be brutally cold), but even the best forecasts are often off by a lot, especially in the mountains.

Thanks guys for your responses.

BTW: Rather than order the Hudson River and NS, I decided on a Hudson River Regular (under quilt) and a Hudson River Long (over quilt). According to one of the Jacks, the only difference is the head hold on the NS, and I could see paying all the extra money for a head hole. It may be good for wearing on cooler evenings or mornings, but I would be that a dedicated coat would be a far better option for when it is really cold at night.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Check out the FOR SALE forum. mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    It is 2.5" thick with down. That seems to be the industry standard for around that temp. Each company tends to differ a little. Before I turned into a human popscile it was around 35 deg for me. It seemed like I would get cold and look at the thermometer and see about that temp. Getting it adjusted right is the key. To get down to the lower limits of the temp rating, you need to get it adjusted right with no air gaps. No hard, just takes some practice and patience. Being out of the wind is key.

Of course YMMV, everyone is different, and that is just my take.

Forgot to add that it was with mid weight long under bottoms, socks, 100 wt fleece, and windproof fleece hat. Standard sleeping clothes for me when the temp drops.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts